Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help confirming my knowledge of stack/reach
Quote | Reply
Buying a new bike soon. Currently on a Felt B12 size 54. I've had trouble getting the extension I want and had to move up to a 120mm stem from the original 90mm and pads a bit far forward. When I look that bike up, it shows 535/405 for stack and reach. Bike fits me okay with the new stem, but I just can't really get lower than I am now and hope to get more aggressive over the next 6 months. Haven't had a chance to measure my exact reach as the bike is set now, so sorry for that lack of info.

Looking at the IA16 in size 56 and I'm seeing the stack and reach at 537/424. So it looks like this will help out with the reach, but am I basically coming out almost even with being able to get lower? Will also look to go from 172.5 to 165 cranks, so that should also assist in getting a little more aggressive. Chances are I switch out to the Alpha X cockpit as well which according to their website shows 80-120 "equivalent" stem adjustment as well. Again, this all assists in reach adjustment. Seems like I'm not getting much benefit in stack, but not many bikes out there where I'm getting lower stack with the necessary reach (longer torso).

Mostly though I don't know what I'm doing. I reached out to a local fitter who was recommended to me. Actually seen him recommended multiple places. Was going to get fit prior to buying and we talked and he said he felt like he couldn't give me too much of a benefit, so he didn't feel right taking my money. Told me of a few bikes that were longer than others, but he said it wouldn't be a huge difference once I was on the "right size" for each bike. Kind of threw me off, but if he was BS'ing me, at least it wasn't taking my money while BS'ing me.
Quote Reply
Re: Help confirming my knowledge of stack/reach [KG6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What you really want to know first is your pad stack and pad reach on your current bike. We show you how to measure this on the Alpha X Fit Guide: http://www.tririg.com/...=alphax&page=fit (Click the "Show Instructions" text next to "Step 1: Determine your Fit Numbers"). There's some text explaining it, but here's the gist, in image form:

From there, we can decide what's your best next step. Assuming you want more reach, then indeed the IAxx in size 56 will get you there with your current frame stack, but there are many options out there. What we need the original fit numbers for are determining how much room you also have to go down, if that's a future plan. If you post your numbers here, I'll be happy to help you interpret the guide.

--
TriRig.com
Quote Reply