Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help With Hed Freehub (Tom? Other mechanic?)
Quote | Reply
Okay, today has been a bad day for freehubs. The freehub on a ritchey wheel decided to self destruct this afternoon. That will be a warranty issue, fortunately. But read on for my other hub problem...

I have a hed deep, which I bought used. The freehub seemed to catch once in a while from day one, but got a lot worse recently. I should have complained immediately, but that is my fault for being a sucker for such a good deal. Learned an important lesson about buying used over the internet.

I took off the freehub body, and found that one of the pawls had come free. There is a circular ring that holds them in, and this ring was missing a tiny section, allowing one of the pawls to become unseated and rattle around.

Good thing I have not yet been on the road on this thing.

So here are my questions:

1. IS the ring broken from the getgo, so that the pawls can be installed? It is easy to replace the pawl in it's place and rotate the retaining ring around so that the break is not near a pawl...making the hub work fine again. But I suspect that the ring would begin to rotate with time and release a pawl again.

2. Is little ring is replaceable? The interior of the freehub is not damaged in any way, and I would think this is a 99 cent part.

Philbert

Dr. Philip Skiba
Scientific Training for Endurance Athletes now available on Amazon!
Last edited by: Philbert: Mar 18, 03 18:26
Quote Reply
Re: Help With Hed Freehub (Tom? Other mechanic?) [Philbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you tried emailing HED directly with your question. See the general customer service link on their website. They're a great bunch of people, I'm sure they'd be willing to offer some advice (best to get it from the source).
Quote Reply
Re: Help With Hed Freehub (Tom? Other mechanic?) [Philbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Philbert,

Yes, I think the ring is split to allow assy/disassy. I think I have worked on a freehub like this a few times. I cannot remember if it was spinergy, spin, or one of the hubs I purchased from aerospoke when I was building my own disc wheels. Any way, You can probably reassemble the freehub and use a heavier grease to hold the pawl in place. I know grease is not as fast as lighter oil but if it helps in reassembly, then it is good.

Is there a shop near by you? THey should be able to look at it and tell if it is broken or missing anything. Oh yeah make sure the small spring that allows the pawl to "ratchet" is still good.

Good luck.

"Nothing in life ever just happens. Calculated progression insures your strength."
Shawn Spencer
Bike Cycles
Wilmington, NC
http://www.bikecycleshop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Help With Hed Freehub (Tom? Other mechanic?) [Shawn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I am going to call hed tomorrow and ask them what the scoop is with this thing. There seems to be a significant break in the retainer ring...like a few mm worth, which makes me think a piece is gone.

Interestingly, there don't appear to be individual springs for the pawls. The pawls fit into slots, and are held there by the split ring, and that is it.

Philbert

Dr. Philip Skiba
Scientific Training for Endurance Athletes now available on Amazon!
Quote Reply