Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Help On Hed Jet Black 9 Tire Choice?
Quote | Reply
So pulled the trigger on some HEd Jet Blacks. First non sketchy Chinese Carbon race wheel by a company who is legit. Im stoked. I see these as an investment in safety especially with better braking as I like to dive corners. Front is the 9 rear is the Disc Wheel.

Flo wheels which I understand are similar to HED Jets say Conti Force 24mm is fastest tire for them. Is this likely similar for the HEDs? Is there any test on HEDS that combines rolling and aero?

What should I ride?

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-t9OoeiD4um4/V1OxREo47KI/AAAAAAAAD-g/erHCVIYSw807dm81qQh4PTO1eVzP7jtAgCLcB/s1600/Screen%2BShot%2B2016-06-04%2Bat%2B9.56.58%2BPM.png

Professional Triathlete and Professional Orchestral Musician. Bikes, Bass, Beer.
Quote Reply
Re: Help On Hed Jet Black 9 Tire Choice? [UOTriathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm waiting for my HED Jet Blacks to arrive as well.
I plan to use the go to standard, GP4000SII with latex tubes. Going with 23mm, which HED states will balloon out to 26mm on these rims.
Quote Reply
Re: Help On Hed Jet Black 9 Tire Choice? [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My 700X 23 Conti GP4000s measure 26.7 on Hed Jet 6+ rims.

My Conti force 700 X 24 rear tire measures 28.5.

I cant imagine what a 700 X 25 tire would look like on this rim, the others are wide enough.

They are super comfy to ride on at about 85PSI with latex tubes.

Just watch the video about how to seat them properly - it is not at all like other tires, you have to meticulously focus on keeping the bead in the center valley channel of the rim.

I also only run one rotation of the Hed Rim tape, contrary to manufacturer suggestions. I am not planning to run tubeless unless someone can come up with a true performance benefit.
Quote Reply
Re: Help On Hed Jet Black 9 Tire Choice? [endosch2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
endosch2 wrote:

I cant imagine what a 700 X 25 tire would look like on this rim, the others are wide enough.

Just watch the video about how to seat them properly - it is not at all like other tires, you have to meticulously focus on keeping the bead in the center valley channel of the rim.

I also only run one rotation of the Hed Rim tape, contrary to manufacturer suggestions. I am not planning to run tubeless unless someone can come up with a true performance benefit.

Is the video on their website? Why do you need to keep the bead in the center of the rim if not using as tubeless? I have some learning to do...

When putting tires on my JET6 C2's, they are kind of hard to put on, but otherwise go on like any other wheel..

Oh, found it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-XFMGDO2rA
Last edited by: SBRcanuck: Jan 19, 18 6:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah video would be great! I did not know they blew up that wide. Jeez. Is there any info on the Force vs GPII? Just curious :)

Professional Triathlete and Professional Orchestral Musician. Bikes, Bass, Beer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
endosch2 wrote:

Is the video on their website? Why do you need to keep the bead in the center of the rim if not using as tubeless? I have some learning to do...

When putting tires on my JET6 C2's, they are kind of hard to put on, but otherwise go on like any other wheel..

Oh, found it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-XFMGDO2rA

Because the diameter of the rim at the shelf is really tight relative to the tire. People who dont follow the instructions struggle putting tires on these wheels. I you follow the instructions carefully you can do it with your fingers. You need to know about this - especially if you ever expect to be able to change a flat on the roads or in a race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ok great tip. What tires do you prefer?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Corsa Speed in 23c is the correct answer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HED's position is that the Continental Attack is the aerodynamically fastest tire on their Plus wheels. This is in their videos. Plus, I confirmed it with one of their internal SME guys when I was buying my Jet Black wheels in December.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
do yourself a favor and buy this:
https://www.amazon.com/...+stop+tire+bead+jack

with new tires i cycle them on/off a couple of times to kind of stretch and loosen them before taking them outside, then they are easier to change by hand with a flat. but even then you really have to keep that bead in the center and start opposite of the valve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
UOTriathlete wrote:
ok great tip. What tires do you prefer?

I have 2 pair of hed wheels - a pair of Hed Jet 6+s and a 6/9+ pair. I use 22c conti attacks on both fronts. On the 9 rear I have the Force tire, and on the 6 rear I have the GP4000 700X 23.

I honestly think I would be lying if I said there was any difference that I can feel, the Force may be a little better.

I know that alot of people like the supersonics or GPSS I believe.

I wanted something that was reasonable fast but also every day ride-able on bad roads. I did not want a tire without some flat protection in the casing. I ride my race wheels to local TTs and I use them for training. My daughter also uses the Jet 6s for crits and TTS.
Quote Reply
Re: Help On Hed Jet Black 9 Tire Choice? [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
HED's position is that the Continental Attack is the aerodynamically fastest tire on their Plus wheels. This is in their videos. Plus, I confirmed it with one of their internal SME guys when I was buying my Jet Black wheels in December.

It isn't. Keep in mind that video was done before the Corsa Speed was available and then you get a nice Crr reduction to boot.
Quote Reply
Re: Help On Hed Jet Black 9 Tire Choice? [Grill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grill wrote:
It isn't. Keep in mind that video was done before the Corsa Speed was available and then you get a nice Crr reduction to boot.
My statement is a relay of what an SME at HED told me. He reaffirmed that the current Attack is the fastest for their Plus wheels. Whether others think another tire may be faster is an entirely different topic. I am just sharing what a smart guy at HED told me.
Quote Reply
Re: Help On Hed Jet Black 9 Tire Choice? [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had also heard from folks that vittoria tires, while very low crr, are notoriously unaero. FLO comments on that in their study I think
In Reply To:

Last edited by: UOTriathlete: Jan 19, 18 8:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Grill wrote:
exxxviii wrote:

I was going to try them but the chatter on this board convinced me that they have durability issues. Obviously dependent on where and how you ride. Also a friend of mine tried them due to their great CRR and he took them off in less than 100 miles for flats.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
UOTriathlete wrote:
I had also heard from folks that vittoria tires, while very low crr, are notoriously unaero. FLO comments on that in their study I think
In Reply To:

The Vittoria Corsa Speed tested pretty darn well aerodynamically on the HED JET+ versus some Conti choices. Sounds like you may not have seen the results from the tire testing we did last year thanks again to many on Slowtwitch. The results are here ==> http://www.thomasgerlach.com/...ria-corsa-speed.html

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Help On Hed Jet Black 9 Tire Choice? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did not! Thanks for sharing man, I'm definitely a fan of yours.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
endosch2 wrote:
Grill wrote:
exxxviii wrote:

I was going to try them but the chatter on this board convinced me that they have durability issues. Obviously dependent on where and how you ride. Also a friend of mine tried them due to their great CRR and he took them off in less than 100 miles for flats.

My reasons for not trying them as well.
When folks are saying the attack or corsa speed are 'faster', I wonder what difference we are really talking over the gp4000SII 23mm?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The corsa speeds are said to be impossible to get on/off and also notoriously puncture prone. I'd be a little cautious about using them
Quote Reply
Re: Help On Hed Jet Black 9 Tire Choice? [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How are they vs the supersonic tt tires by conti then? I have no experience with contis high end stuff nor vittorias high end.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
endosch2 wrote:
Grill wrote:
exxxviii wrote:

~25 races last season on crap UK roads with no flats. Mate of mine raced about the same amount and punctured, but the sealant worked and he was able to ride, and PB, 100 miles on it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Grill wrote:
endosch2 wrote:
Grill wrote:
exxxviii wrote:

~25 races last season on crap UK roads with no flats. Mate of mine raced about the same amount and punctured, but the sealant worked and he was able to ride, and PB, 100 miles on it.
Same experience here. I'm not sure why other people are having trouble. I would speculate some combination of installation failures (they are pretty hard to install) and maybe sidewall failures? The sidewalls seem pretty thin to me, so if you even glance off any large objects (rock, road seam, curb, etc) you could flat.
Quote Reply
Re: Help On Hed Jet Black 9 Tire Choice? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
UOTriathlete wrote:
I had also
heard from folks that vittoria tires, while very low crr, are notoriously unaero. FLO comments on that in their study I think
In Reply To:

The Vittoria Corsa Speed tested pretty darn well aerodynamically on the HED JET+ versus some Conti choices. Sounds like you may not have seen the results from the tire testing we did last year thanks again to many on Slowtwitch. The results are here ==> http://www.thomasgerlach.com/...ria-corsa-speed.html

The bummer about threads like this one is the opportunity for so much misinformation vs. past threads where these issues have been discussed with data presented.

Your testing, and what Grill has been able to disclose with respect to AeroCoach testing, has shown the CS TLR to yield solid aerodynamics on HED Jet+ wheels.

Across the board the CS TLR has rolled better than any of the competition and in most cases by a large margin.

The TomA/Specialized testing with composite Crr/Wind tunnel results shows that a top of the line, low rolling resistance tire, such as the Spec Turbo Cotton almost completely overcomes it's aerodynamic limitations against narrow tires with limited exceptions (Conti SS20/SS23 second generation or end of last generation!). Tom's Crr data shows these Contis only give up about 1 (23c) to 2 (20c) watts to the Turbo Cotton at 40kph. So that gives an idea of how close a more aerodynamic tire has to roll to a really good rolling, less aerodynamic tire.

So it shouldn't be a big leap to conclude that the CS TLR, which rolls 2-3 watts faster than the Turbo Cotton, and rolls 7-8 watts faster than the Attack 2, is the absolute fastest choice here.

If I was too worried about the durability of the CS TLR to run it, I still would never fall back on the Attack. There are better Conti options.

Last year Conti made casing changes to their Supersonic, Attack and Force tires. The only Crr data I've seen for these updates is limited to the SS. I haven't seen any wind tunnel testing of the new tires and all of them grew in size with the casing change. Speculation is that Conti is using some variation of the GP TT casing for the other updated tire models.

ETA some links for pertinent data:

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/...t-3-after-party.html

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/...corsa-speed-tlr.html

https://docs.google.com/.../edit#gid=2047093726
Last edited by: SummitAK: Jan 19, 18 11:15
Quote Reply
Re: Help On Hed Jet Black 9 Tire Choice? [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On back order for us ( I am in Canada ) but just got my local bike shop to order a pair of CS for me based on this feedback. I may as well try them out!
Quote Reply

Prev Next