Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Help Me Pick New Disc Wheels!
Quote | Reply
Got a new road disc frameset that I'll be building up with Force AXS. Tires will be 30mm but 32mm if the frame ends up clearing them. I'm trying to buy a pair of "budget wheels" that may offer some aero properties. Here's some contenders:

Hunt: Not sure which, but probably around $1000 or so. It was high on my list, but now maybe I'm second guessing them. Here's a review of several wheels by In The Know cycling. I don't think I've read their reviews before, but they seem to be objective. https://intheknowcycling.com/...set-for-the-money-2/
They don't speak highly of Hunt. Also they claim the hub sound is the loudest. Somebody posted elsewhere a comparison (different website) and Hunt wheels fell almost dead last in aerodynamics.

Scribe: All wheels are $1000? I've seen them mentioned on the forum, but don't know too much about them.

Zipp 303S: Partially based on Dan's review. But I do have other zipp wheels for my tri bike that are non disc. Generally like the brand. Also would be able to use these for gravel if I ever got a proper gravel bike. Approximately $1300.

Enve Foundation 65: $1600. About as high as I'm willing to go, but really trying not to. Drawbacks is they're optimized for 25mm tires whereas their other more expensive models are optimized for 28mm if I understand correctly.

HED: Not sure which

Leeze Wheels: German brand, hard to find in US. I might have to ship them to Europe and have them forwarded to me. $900+

Suggestions? Experiences? Brands to avoid?

Brands I'm not considering: Flo Cycling, Bontrager, Light Bicycle.
Quote Reply
Re: Help Me Pick New Disc Wheels! [Chan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you looked at Reynolds?
Quote Reply
Re: Help Me Pick New Disc Wheels! [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
Have you looked at Reynolds?
They're on my list. I like the brand, but never owned their wheels. Quick search found me the 58/62 for $1040 so not a bad deal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where did you see that deal?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
Where did you see that deal?
Backcountry.com
Think I just saw excelsports for like $999
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like you have a good idea what you are looking for...but I wanted to add that I’d look into Vision...their wheels are underrated IMO...and there were some good deals to be had recently...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Backcountry is out of stock on that wheelset.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
Backcountry is out of stock on that wheelset.
https://www.excelsports.com/...hKPqXtxoCVsEQAvD_BwE
[/url]
Quote Reply
Re: Help Me Pick New Disc Wheels! [zooropa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zooropa wrote:
Looks like you have a good idea what you are looking for...but I wanted to add that I’d look into Vision...their wheels are underrated IMO...and there were some good deals to be had recently...

I'm looking at finding a trispoke clincher front but don't wanna pay the $1000+ they cost so waiting to find it on ebay. Never seen it on sale
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Give the STAN’S Avion wheels a look as well

ig - @servicecourse_evv
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Flo? They were 175 off each wheel yesterday
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got a set of Reynolds (from Jim)....I haven’t logged as much outdoor time as I would like since I bought not too long ago but so far happy with them and the service/pricing Jim offered.
Quote Reply
Re: Help Me Pick New Disc Wheels! [ProWrench84] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ProWrench84 wrote:

I somehow thought they were discontinued?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How about Prime carbon wheels? I saw an earlier thread that mentioned them and checked out their prices today on Chain Reaction/Wiggle - cost seems pretty good so wondering what their quality and value relative to other brands is like, too.

Travis
Quote Reply
Re: Help Me Pick New Disc Wheels! [mrfreeze] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mrfreeze wrote:
How about Prime carbon wheels? I saw an earlier thread that mentioned them and checked out their prices today on Chain Reaction/Wiggle - cost seems pretty good so wondering what their quality and value relative to other brands is like, too.

Travis
What little I know is that it's their house brand or very close to it. Unfortunately they fared bad in the aero testing. Will still check em out and do more research
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bontrager Aeolus 3V. 25mm internal and 32mm external width which is the same dimensions as the Enve AR series. hooked bead which means no tire incompatibility issues. 35mm deep, the hubs have dt swiss internals. Tubeless setup works well using the Bontrager tubeless rim strips. Mine came in a dozen grams or so under the stated weight.

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chan wrote:
ProWrench84 wrote:

I somehow thought they were discontinued?

Hmm I will check tomorrow.

ig - @servicecourse_evv
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tabulate internal and external widths, and pick something wide. 30mm tires would be huge on most of these. Some of the ones on your list are just 25mm wide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HED Vanquish if you want a quality carbon hooked rim. Two sets of new wheels on EBay for $1500 OBO.
Quote Reply
Re: Help Me Pick New Disc Wheels! [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
Tabulate internal and external widths, and pick something wide. 30mm tires would be huge on most of these. Some of the ones on your list are just 25mm wide.

Excellent tip
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just got my Light Bicycle wheels. They do custom builds. 50mm deep, 30mm wide...perfect for 28 conti tls. Built with DT Swiss new ratching 240 hubs, Sapim X-rays,..naive light and all in for $1250. Takes about 3 months though. Love them so far.
Quote Reply
Re: Help Me Pick New Disc Wheels! [anthonypat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
anthonypat wrote:
I just got my Light Bicycle wheels. They do custom builds. 50mm deep, 30mm wide...perfect for 28 conti tls. Built with DT Swiss new ratching 240 hubs, Sapim X-rays,..naive light and all in for $1250. Takes about 3 months though. Love them so far.

I had a slight mishap with then earlier in the year and lost $50 in the process.

Basically I ordered a trispoke from them thinking that 451 was the wheel model but it was actually the wheel size (apparently 20 inches or so). I waited twice the amount of time they quoted me and then canceled when they confirmed that I was not getting a 700c trispoke.

I got all my money back minus a $50 fee.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Without question, HedJet RC5 Plus
https://mybikeshop.com/...-plus-wheelset-black
- Just $800!
- Make sure you can get them for disc brakes

For some reason Hed doesn't market these directly; they have the Jet 4, 6 and 9 and the Vanquish 4, 6, and 8 on their site. The 5 was sold through Performance Bike in the old days and now through My Bike Shop.
The 5 is the ideal size IMO. I have owned/owned Jet 5, 6, 9 and Vanquish 4, 6, and 8.
At 150 lbs both 6's catch significant cross wind, enough for me to feel uncomfortable.
The 4 and the 5 are much better with cross winds. The 5 does "feel" more aero than the 4's for sure.

I used to run the 5's on a BMC Time Machine as daily drivers and used the front 5 with the 9 or disc for racing. Love the feel and ride quality of those wheels.

I am now on a disc brake bike running Vanquish 4 or 6 front and 8 back. I wish I had the 5 up front though.
Quote Reply
Re: Help Me Pick New Disc Wheels! [twain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
twain wrote:
Without question, HedJet RC5 Plus
https://mybikeshop.com/...-plus-wheelset-black
- Just $800!
- Make sure you can get them for disc brakes

For some reason Hed doesn't market these directly; they have the Jet 4, 6 and 9 and the Vanquish 4, 6, and 8 on their site. The 5 was sold through Performance Bike in the old days and now through My Bike Shop.
The 5 is the ideal size IMO. I have owned/owned Jet 5, 6, 9 and Vanquish 4, 6, and 8.
At 150 lbs both 6's catch significant cross wind, enough for me to feel uncomfortable.
The 4 and the 5 are much better with cross winds. The 5 does "feel" more aero than the 4's for sure.

I used to run the 5's on a BMC Time Machine as daily drivers and used the front 5 with the 9 or disc for racing. Love the feel and ride quality of those wheels.

I am now on a disc brake bike running Vanquish 4 or 6 front and 8 back. I wish I had the 5 up front though.

Funny I was on that wheel page earlier today but skipped because i didn't see the internal and external width dimensions. Ill make sure to go double check.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
21 internal, 25 external!
Quote Reply

Prev Next