Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help Me Fix My Swim
Quote | Reply
Had a coach who was at the pool today with other swimmers take a few minutes to give me some feedback. He said my entire body was sinking chest down and suggested a pull buoy. He also said I'm swimming with a catch up stroke so never truly in steamline. This advice coupled with "feeling" the swim in my chest tells me I'm pushing down hard in the front quadrant lifting my chest up and sinking the rest of my body.

So my question is this - how do I get my arm into evf and work the front of the stroke without pushing down, reserving the power for the pull and using my lats?

I realize it's hard to diagnose without a visual, but the anecdotal evidence is pretty clear. Are there drills to help catching without pushing down? Is there a technique cue that might help me?

I'm confident that it's born of a few years of over gliding, so my arm is so far extended I have no choice but to push down first then pull. I've essentially missed the catch opportunity. But how do I repair???
Quote Reply
Re: Help Me Fix My Swim [cmd111183] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Try to search for "high elbow catch" on youtube. Personally I like the ones from effortless swimming. Anyway I think it would be smart to get some visual confirmation, mostly for yourself. To actually see what you're doing and how this corresponds to what you think you are doing is probably the best way to gain spatial awareness in the water. A lot of cameras these days are water proof so you won't even need a Gopro.

PS: I´m a terrible swimmer so I won't give you any advice. But fixing the catch has gotten me from 1.45/100 down to 1.35/100, so from personal experience I´d definitely recommend giving it a shot :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Look at the websites and videos for swim smooth and effortless swimming. Swimsmooth has a lot of different drills depending on your swim type and what you need to work on.
Quote Reply
Re: Help Me Fix My Swim [Schnellinger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's funny, I'm so aware of the need for evf, but I can't seem to get there without pushing down on the water first. When I pull I have a high elbow, but there's something I missing between hand entry and when my elbow is vertical to my wrist.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One arm drill. Focus on just pulling straight back with your elbow close to the surface and your forearm down.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Instead of a pull buoy (which is a good idea) I'd buy a pair of Roka Sim shorts. I swear buy them. They will immediately put you in a better position by raising your thighs and butt. This will help your body position immensely. To help with 'not pushing down' on your catch phase, simply work on punching through the water at a more downward angle. It sounds like when you're hands entering the water now, you're just below the surface water line and gliding. Then when you engage your catch, your pushing down on the water. Instead, plunge your hand down at a 45 degree angle, no glide, and immediately start your high elbow pull -- pushing the water back; instead of down. Your cadence will immediately increase which may test your swim fitness and fatigue you faster, so keep your sets short to start.

Some folks don't like the Roka Sims, but if your goal is to become a better Triathlon swimmer and the vast majority of your swims are going to include a wetsuit, they're an excellent aid in making you a better swimmer for this specific purpose. And although their 80 bucks, they last 2 seasons so in the end they save me money cause jammers only last me 5 to 6 months.

As others mentioned go to 'youtube' and search effortless swimming.

Lastly, learn to relax your body. When swimming relax your ankles, legs, gently engage core, neck and even your arms. Learn to float atop the water and when swimming the muscle you should focus on engaging are your lats. Every time you start your deep water pull, the power should be generated from the bottom of your lats. Pull all the way straight to the back of your thigh, take your hand out and immediately deep plunge it again. One-armed drills doing this will help.

If you want to become a better swimmer, you're also going to need to swim at least 3X per week. Better to swim 1k 3X per week than 1500 2X per week. Consistency is key.

I only started swimming in my mid 30's, and this technique helped get me 32 minute 70.3 Swims and several 1hr 12min, 2.4 mile swims.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
also try fist drill - swim w/ hands in fists

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Help Me Fix My Swim [BT_DreamChaser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BT_DreamChaser wrote:
To help with 'not pushing down' on your catch phase, simply work on punching through the water at a more downward angle. It sounds like when you're hands entering the water now, you're just below the surface water line and gliding. Then when you engage your catch, your pushing down on the water. Instead, plunge your hand down at a 45 degree angle, no glide, and immediately start your high elbow pull -- pushing the water back; instead of down. Your cadence will immediately increase which may test your swim fitness and fatigue you faster, so keep your sets short to start.

I've tried this and received feedback that I was cutting my stroke too short &/or not reaching enough. Is a 45 degree hand entry realy Fish approved?

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Last edited by: Tsunami: Mar 30, 19 20:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Given the various contradictory descriptions of what's going on, it's difficult to give any constructive advice without video.

" He said my entire body was sinking chest down and suggested a pull buoy."

If you're sinking chest-down, why would you need more flotation at the back?

He also said I'm swimming with a catch up stroke so never truly in steamline.

Catch-up stroke implies your streamlining too long. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The advice about possibly not spearing deep enough is good. Also, If you're having trouble getting a high-elbow catch without "pressing" your chest up, it may very well be that your body alignment is too flat at that moment. Either you aren't rotating enough, or you're starting your counter-rotation too early.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Last edited by: gary p: Mar 30, 19 11:31
Quote Reply
Re: Help Me Fix My Swim [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry - first one is a typo. Sinking *from* the chest down. Basically its not just my hips/legs dropping, I'm obviously pressing down and teetering myself up from the front.

When I say I'm not streamlining I mean that I'm spending limited time with hips rotated and slicing through water. I'm flat more than I should be because my front arm is still extended when the recovering arm is almost entering the water.
Quote Reply
Re: Help Me Fix My Swim [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gary p wrote:
Given the various contradictory descriptions of what's going on, it's difficult to give any constructive advice without video.

" He said my entire body was sinking chest down and suggested a pull buoy."

If you're sinking chest-down, why would you need more flotation at the back?

He also said I'm swimming with a catch up stroke so never truly in steamline.

Catch-up stroke implies your streamlining too long. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The advice about possibly not spearing deep enough is good. Also, If you're having trouble getting a high-elbow catch without "pressing" your chest up, it may very well be that your body alignment is too flat at that moment. Either you aren't rotating enough, or you're starting your counter-rotation too early.

I agree tgat the “swim coaches” advice is backwards. Ive never heard a coach tell someone the push down too hard on their front quadrant. Furthermore, using that as an explanation of why yourlegs are sinking shows they don’t understand how rotation around a fulcrum works.

Finally, the whole point of catchup is to exaggerate the streamline. So that advice is questionable too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nothing wrong with a catch-up style stroke, especially for longer distance swimming. Sounds like you need to work on general balance (weight forward) and rotation/rotation-timing. "Switch Drill" is something that can help with both.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1KReTEXiBM

Here is a link to a jonnyo video on the catch. This was a revelation to me. The elbow is basically a hinge. If the point of the elbow is not pointing up, there is no way your forearm can bend down. You said you are overreaching. In the video, jonnyo shows what that means -- almost pointing your elbow down.

So look at what jonnyo is showing you; practice it on dry land; when you go to apply it in the pool, concentrate on not pulling at all until you get the elbow pointing up and the forearm pointing down -- now your pull will propel you forward and not up. Make sure you keep your stroke at least shoulder width apart (e.g., right hand stays at or outside right shoulder) through main propulsive phase.

Good luck.

Also, I recommend including some kicking sets in your workouts. It doesn't take a big propulsive kick, but if you can learn the right kicking motion, just a gentle kick can help get your body on a horizontal plane.
Quote Reply