Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help Installing Brake Levers
Quote | Reply
Bought new base bar/extensions combo and removed old shifters and brake levers from old bars. Now in trying to install the brake levers, I find that I can't "fit" the brake levers freely into the base bar. I saw a video in which somebody used an allen key to expan/contract the mechanism so that it stays in place. These are a set of Dura Ace TT79 brake levers.
I removed the screw that shows in the bottom picture, but that didn't seem to do anything. I inserted an allen key through the silver part to see if I could find the right size to "catch", but didn't find the right fit (if that's the way to go). Then that got me thinking I could loosen it, but I wouldn't be able to tighten it (expand).

Anyways, I realize how basic this question is. You're probably wondering how I removed them from the old bars? Twisty motion got them to come out without much force.

thanks for the help!

Quote Reply
Re: Help Installing Brake Levers [Chan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Make sure you screw back in that small screw on the back.
Insert the levers into the basebar. Then, pull the brake lever fully, as if you were stopping st a light. Then install a 5mm (it may be a 4mm) into the front of the brake lever, where the cable would enter. Then, turn counterclockwise to tighten (they are reverse of normal tightening logic). Then, once it’s all tightened, you can insert a brake cable.
Once the brake cable is inserted, you will no longer be able to tighten/loosen the lever. So make sure it’s all secure.

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Help Installing Brake Levers [doublea334] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Excellent! I would have never been able to figure this out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Exactly, I installed a pair of those yesterday.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any tips if you can't even get the brake expander.bolt to fit into the bar? Mine is barely too big for the bar.
Quote Reply
Re: Help Installing Brake Levers [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think there may be some bar that are compatible only with levers that clamp around the outside of the bull horns.

But try to loosen the expander bolt as far as it will go without completely undoing the bolt. Then squeeze the the part that expands with your hand to compress the friction pieces down as far as possible.

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Help Installing Brake Levers [Chan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chan wrote:
Excellent! I would have never been able to figure this out.

http://si.shimano.com/pdfs/si/SI-8UV0A-002-ENG.pdf
Quote Reply