Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Help! Unexpectedly in the new bike market
Quote | Reply
I'm in a strange situation, I was not planning to buy a new bike so I'm totally out of touch with new bikes. The last time I bought a bike was 2003! To keep from getting into a long story, I was just handed $10k with the provision that it be spent on a new tri bike. Wow, where do I start? What do I want?
  • I will schedule a bike fit ASAP to get my measurements.
  • I'm 6'1" and 173 lbs, 8% body fat (according to Garmin scale), average flexibility.
  • I do not have any race wheels
  • I'm only doing short distance tri until the kids get just a little older (probably 2 years), then I'll be back to HIM.
  • I'm only doing tri, nothing else.
  • In the past, I've ridden mostly flat courses and where I live the highest elevation gain is an overpass.

Quote Reply
Re: Help! Unexpectedly in the new bike market [tomljones3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Help! Unexpectedly in the new bike market [island rider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

+2. Best in the market IMHO.
Quote Reply
Re: Help! Unexpectedly in the new bike market [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m sure it’s a good bike, but you can get something faster for thousands less

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. Good TT bike fit from a knowledgeable, reputable fitter.

2. Cervelo P2 w/ TriRig Alpha One aerobars and Omega aero brakes, eTap groupset, power pedals, and FLO aero wheels.

3. You'll have enough left over for 6 months of coaching and a Wahoo KICKR.

4. Profit

Eric

tomljones3 wrote:
I'm in a strange situation, I was not planning to buy a new bike so I'm totally out of touch with new bikes. The last time I bought a bike was 2003! To keep from getting into a long story, I was just handed $10k with the provision that it be spent on a new tri bike. Wow, where do I start? What do I want?
  • I will schedule a bike fit ASAP to get my measurements.
  • I'm 6'1" and 173 lbs, 8% body fat (according to Garmin scale), average flexibility.
  • I do not have any race wheels
  • I'm only doing short distance tri until the kids get just a little older (probably 2 years), then I'll be back to HIM.
  • I'm only doing tri, nothing else.
  • In the past, I've ridden mostly flat courses and where I live the highest elevation gain is an overpass.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Help! Unexpectedly in the new bike market [Chemist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Really? What's faster? I'd like to know your recommendation.

Chemist wrote:
Quote Reply
Re: Help! Unexpectedly in the new bike market [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
1. Good TT bike fit from a knowledgeable, reputable fitter.

2. Cervelo P2 w/ TriRig Alpha One aerobars and Omega aero brakes, eTap groupset, power pedals, and FLO aero wheels.

3. You'll have enough left over for 6 months of coaching and a Wahoo KICKR.

4. Profit

Eric

I'll second this but I'd get HED Jet Blacks instead of Flos. The braking surface is the real deal. Even if you live in flatland it's nice to have when you need it (e.g. sudden emergency stop).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check out Premiere:

https://www.premierbike.com/products/tactical

The owner Dan posts on ST and is very accessible if you have any questions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you allowed to spend some on related accessories - better helmet, trisuit, shoes, tires, etc?

My vote - Trek speed concept. Tons of dealers, easy access to parts if needed, better flat storage than Canyon and others. Could buy the frameset for about 3k, then choose your wheels and parts and come in far less than the canyon.
Quote Reply
Re: Help! Unexpectedly in the new bike market [mwanner13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mwanner13 wrote:

Chemist wrote:

I’d trust a Speed Concept, P5, or P3x all to be faster. Or heck, you could buy a P3 or P2 and swap the components out and put on something like an Alpha X or Alpha One as Eric mentions above. The 808’s are something like $3k? If you’re building up the bike yourself you can save a lot of cash and be just as fast (if not faster according to some people on here who do a lot of testing) with Hed or Aerocoach wheels. All that cash saved could go to wind tunnel testing, a power meter, a disc wheel, etc before hitting 10k.

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In some ways that would be an incredibly fun game to play. In other ways, quite stressful. Congrats on your good fortune!

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Honestly, at that level, I would buy based on looks. If I had $10K that all had to be spent on a bike right now, I would buy a P3X. I just love the way it looks. But, I would need enough reserve cash to upgrade the wheels. If I wanted a bike with classic looks, I would probably choose between the Trek Speed Concept or Canyon Speedmax.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get a quality fit done to figure out your appropriate frame size and various measurements based on the fit data. Figure out the bikes that are closest to your specs and pick from there.
Quote Reply
Re: Help! Unexpectedly in the new bike market [alaska848] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alaska848 wrote:
Get a quality fit done to figure out your appropriate frame size and various measurements based on the fit data. Figure out the bikes that are closest to your specs and pick from there.

Thanks, that is exactly what I'm going to do, but I didn't even know where to start looking at bikes. So far, it sounds like the list is
  • P3X
  • P5
  • Trek Speed Concept
  • Premier "2.0" TACTICAL
  • Canyon
  • What else?

In response to the other poster, yes, I'm sure he will be happy with anything bike related. I had not considered the upgrade route, that is interesting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How about QR, Argon or Scott?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Remove the P3x from the list. The whole concept the P5x and P3x is carrying the kitchen sink for full distance races and the P2/P3/P5 are faster bikes if you only need stuff for Olympics and halfs.

As for everything else the key will be what your bike fitter/mechanic feels most comfortable dealing with. The key to getting fast is getting it set up perfectly for you. Once you start getting proprietary front ends, brakes etc. playing with fit gets to be an art form. So if you fitter say 'Scott Plasma' or 'Giant Trinity' I would go with it as like the P2 you can build these in super bikes with the right tweaks. Bikes like the P5 come with a lot more bells and whistles but you need someone who is comfortable playing around with the odd custom bits.
Quote Reply
Re: Help! Unexpectedly in the new bike market [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
Are you allowed to spend some on related accessories - better helmet, trisuit, shoes, tires, etc?

My vote - Trek speed concept. Tons of dealers, easy access to parts if needed, better flat storage than Canyon and others. Could buy the frameset for about 3k, then choose your wheels and parts and come in far less than the canyon.

Speedconcept vote here as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get a bike fit and see what they recommend.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My choice would be the Giant Trinity Advance Pro line, less than $6K with great features and a solid history of great bikes. I have an earlier model, a bit lower on the price scale, and it is the most stable, comfortable Tri/TT bike that I have experienced.

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/...es/on-road/triathlon
Quote Reply
Re: Help! Unexpectedly in the new bike market [mwanner13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The silence is deafening regarding aero data on the SLX

Awesome bike though...

mwanner13 wrote:

Chemist wrote:

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Argon 18 E-119 if you need it immediately. The E-118 (TT bike with Disc Brakes) is coming out shortly, check with the dealer.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriRig Omni is 20% off right now. So you can get the frame + Alpha One + Omega X + Betas and Kappas for $4,000.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I can answer any questions; please let me know.

dan.premierbike@gmail.com
815-263-2727

Dan Kennison

facebook: @triPremierBike
http://www.PremierBike.com
http://www.PositionOneSports.com
Quote Reply
Re: Help! Unexpectedly in the new bike market [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Scotthb wrote:
Get a bike fit and see what they recommend.

Yuck...

Avoid any bike that is dependent on your obscure fit coordinates... that are very likely to change if you want to go fast.

The GMAN wrote:
TriRig Omni is 20% off right now. So you can get the frame + Alpha One + Omega X + Betas and Kappas for $4,000.

Yes, rather get a good bike that is easily adjustable. And looks cool.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It sounds like the consensus is:
  1. Bike fit is most important
  2. Bike fit is most important
  3. Bike fit is most important

After that, I can't go wrong with any of the "super" bikes from a reputable builder. I should just look at deals, components, extras that I like, and what has good support at my LBS/fitter.

Does that sound about right?

It sounds like I should definitely go with disc brakes to be future proof.

I need to figure out if electronic shifting is worth it.

Some of the bikes I should look at:
  • P3X - Probably out since I'm not considering full IM
  • P5
  • Trek Speed Concept
  • Premier "2.0" TACTICAL - Wow, looks like a screaming deal
  • Canyon
  • Diamondback Andean
  • Quintana Roo PRsix
  • Felt IA
  • TriRig Omni - Also looks like a great deal
  • The Giant super bike
  • Argon