Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help! Husband buying watch for wife! Display Size - 735XT, Vivoactive 3, Something Else?
Quote | Reply
Thanks in advance!

Question for the ladies out there or for husbands who's better half has a nice watch :)

Looking for a new multisport watch for my bride. I have the 735XT and am worried if I also buy her one it will look quite large on her little wrist. It appears the vivoactive 3 is basically the same size.

Is there a comparable watch to the 735XT from another brand that has a smidge smaller display?
Quote Reply
Re: Help! Husband buying watch for wife! Display Size - 735XT, Vivoactive 3, Something Else? [unicat141] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Garmin Fenix 5 has pretty much identical functionality to the 735XT and comes in 3 different sizes, so the small might work well. Does come with a metal body and as a result is a bit heavier and pricier than the 735XT.
Quote Reply
Re: Help! Husband buying watch for wife! Display Size - 735XT, Vivoactive 3, Something Else? [unicat141] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can't wait to see if someone chimes in with a great suggestion. I have a small wrist and find my 735 annoyingly bulky. But I wear it b/c it's far less annoying than the others I've had. Specifically, I find the round face better than the square 920, which presses right against my sorta prominant wrist bones. But diameter of both of those watch faces aside, though somewhat thin they both bulk up my wrist enough that it catches on my shirt sleeves when changing clothes, catches on my backpack straps when putting on or taking it off. So I've given up wearing them for normal tracking and mostly only use them for exercise where being very active mostly distracts me from being irked about wearing it. For reference, my wrist is just under 6" in circumfrence.

And if it helps, you can cut a garmin HR strap shorter. Mine was cinched as tight as it would go already, so as soon as any loosening of the elastic occured there was nowhere left to go but to cut the strap.

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My daily wear is an Apple Watch 38 mm. Can be used for most sports too. Swim is surprisingly accurate except when a ton of kick as coach Gerry has added frequently lately. I do also own a 935 which I wear just for training, passed a 735 onto my sister and had a Fenix 3 before that. The plastic bodies of the 935/735 make them much lighter than Fenix series. I tried a Suunto Spartan Trainer on and it’s also bulky with a fixed curve to it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
unicat141 wrote:
Looking for a new multisport watch for my bride. I have the 735XT and am worried if I also buy her one it will look quite large on her little wrist. It appears the vivoactive 3 is basically the same size.
There are not many true multisport watches that capture an event like a triathlon or duathlon. By contrast, there are many watches that capture individual swims, bikes, and runs. So... the vivoactive 3 is not a multisport watch. The 735XT is.
Quote Reply
Re: Help! Husband buying watch for wife! Display Size - 735XT, Vivoactive 3, Something Else? [cartsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cartsman wrote:
Garmin Fenix 5 has pretty much identical functionality to the 735XT and comes in 3 different sizes, so the small might work well. Does come with a metal body and as a result is a bit heavier and pricier than the 735XT.

My wife got the champagne Fenix 5s last year. Hasn't taken it off yet. Loves it. Looks like they're $100 off at the moment. It comes with a spare / white band if the suede is not to her liking.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a vivoactive. It looks like it is aboue 43mm. The Fenix looks like you can get a 42mm case. The 735xt looks like it is 44.5mm.

I can do swims, bikes, runs, steps, etc. The vivo has optical and strap heart rate. My finding is the strap is considerably more accurate. But, I do not think that it officially does multisport if you want it for an event. Battery life with GPS is ok, not great, but when I only use GPS maybe 4x a week, it's fine. I charge it every other day or so.

Brandon Marsh - Website | @BrandonMarshTX | RokaSports | 1stEndurance | ATC Bikeshop |
Quote Reply
Re: Help! Husband buying watch for wife! Display Size - 735XT, Vivoactive 3, Something Else? [-JBMarshTX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1 to everything Brandon said. I'm a guy but have tiny wrists, and the Vivoactive 3 doesn't feel bulky at all. But it's not a true multi-sport watch, the main thing missing being OWS (no GPS during swimming). But it'll do lap swimming ok.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My daily wear Vivoactive 3 on my bony little wrist. Not a fan of the optic HR when doing anything more strenuous than yoga or strength, so use the HR strap and 920 or 500 (which I already had) for training.

Try not to drown / rock the bike / hobby-jog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have wife-sized wrists, and the 935 has been the best watch I've ever owned. It does everything. If I was buying a sport watch, that's as far as I'd look. Though the smaller Fenix 5 - depending on her tastes - might be a better choice. The 935 is basically just a regular Fenix 5 in a lighter, less bulky housing (same screen size and internals).

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Both my kids 8 and 9 years old wear the vivoactive3. No issues. I really doubt your wife is smaller than them.
Quote Reply
Re: Help! Husband buying watch for wife! Display Size - 735XT, Vivoactive 3, Something Else? [wcb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wcb wrote:
cartsman wrote:

My wife got the champagne Fenix 5s last year. Hasn't taken it off yet. Loves it. Looks like they're $100 off at the moment. It comes with a spare / white band if the suede is not to her liking.

I love my Fenix 5S. It is big, but not too big. I wear it all the time. n=1 though, get her to try some on and see what she likes.
Quote Reply
Re: Help! Husband buying watch for wife! Display Size - 735XT, Vivoactive 3, Something Else? [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, the Garmin Fenix 5s sapphire is a great watch for someone with smaller wrist.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the 920xt for my true tri training but I wanted a smaller on wrist that can work as regular watch. I picked up the Vivoactive HR. It has GPS so it can sub for the 920xt. I've been really happy. It works well. I've been using it with my bikes with the cadence sensor. Great in the Pool. Can work with the HR transmitter of the 920xt.
Lately its been getting more use the the 920xt.

The Vivoactive3 if it is an upgrade of the Vivoactive HR would be good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Woman here...with, well...woman sized wrists. I needed a watch for my IM training and I wanted a watch I could wear everyday to the office (pretty formal, corporate setting). I splurged for the Fenix 5S sapphire in champagne and am so happy I did. The only time I take it off is to charge it. It's been a workhorse and looks beautiful in the process.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
unicat141 wrote:
Thanks in advance!

Question for the ladies out there or for husbands who's better half has a nice watch :)

Is there a comparable watch to the 735XT from another brand that has a smidge smaller display?

Mate - just research the watches - tell her about each one - then give her your credit card. haha my parents are still married after 40 years. Dad has done this from day 1. It works. Time tested.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Garmin Fenix 5s. Upgraded the woman from a 235 for her birthday. She liked the 235. She loves the 5s, only takes it off to charge.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife loves her Vivo Active 3. Great size for her wrist
Quote Reply
Re: Help! Husband buying watch for wife! Display Size - 735XT, Vivoactive 3, Something Else? [ninagski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ninagski wrote:
Woman here...with, well...woman sized wrists. I needed a watch for my IM training and I wanted a watch I could wear everyday to the office (pretty formal, corporate setting). I splurged for the Fenix 5S sapphire in champagne and am so happy I did. The only time I take it off is to charge it. It's been a workhorse and looks beautiful in the process.
I have this in black and I pout taking it off to charge. I love it so much.

Level II USAT Coach | Level 3 USAC Coach | NASM-CPT
Team Zoot | Tailwind Trailblazer
I can tell you why you're sick, I just can't write you an Rx
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am a man with average wrists, but I am happy with my Suunto Spartan Trainer. It is smaller than a lot of tri watches. It doesn’t have all the features the Fenix 5 has, but it does OWS, multi sport mode, and reads a power meter, unlike the Vivoactive 3. It is much cheaper than the Fenix 5.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought the vivoactive3 for my wife, who is about 5 feet tall. We were both wondering if it would be too large, but she likes it quite a bit.
Quote Reply