Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help! How to put back the Shimano rear bar end shifter
Quote | Reply
I was trying to align the aerobar shifters today. There is a screw behind the shifter for loosening and tightening the shifter to the aerobar, which requires you to disassemble the shifter to get to. First I went and did the front shifter, that went ok without any problem. But I am having major problem with the rear shifter, which has some extra mechanicals for friction mode. Basically, I had it opened up, and now I can't put it back together again. The part that has the U ring on it, just won't go it and sit flush against the shifter itself. I tried it for an hour or so, and can't for the life of me, figure out how to put it back again.

Anyone has any idea or point me to some instruction on line, I will very much appreciate it. Thanks very much.
Quote Reply
Re: Help! How to put back the Shimano rear bar end shifter [xcool] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had the same problem the first time I tried. It has to be put back in a very specific way. Download the instructions from Shimano or Park or check your Zinn guide. Once you see the order it should go smoothly. It has to be flipped the right way and rotated properly. That way, when it does go together, you'll know it's correct!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
willmillertriathlon.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Help! How to put back the Shimano rear bar end shifter [WillPA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I looked at both the shimano and park instructions. Both show the shifter and the rotating part as one unit. My problem is that the rotating part came off, and I can't put it back again. Does Zinn show you the details? Any other help will be appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: Help! How to put back the Shimano rear bar end shifter [xcool] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I was trying to align the aerobar shifters today. There is a screw behind the shifter for loosening and tightening the shifter to the aerobar, which requires you to disassemble the shifter to get to. First I went and did the front shifter, that went ok without any problem. But I am having major problem with the rear shifter, which has some extra mechanicals for friction mode. Basically, I had it opened up, and now I can't put it back together again. The part that has the U ring on it, just won't go it and sit flush against the shifter itself. I tried it for an hour or so, and can't for the life of me, figure out how to put it back again.

Anyone has any idea or point me to some instruction on line, I will very much appreciate it. Thanks very much.
Assuming Shimano shifters:

http://techdocs.shimano.com/...6577569830609202.pdf

Using the above as a reference, the lever boss cover only fits on one way. Make sure you line up the detent on the back of this piece. The next common problem is a brass-colored washer that has rectangular cutouts in it. It needs to be aligned with the corresponding rectangles on the boss cover. I've seen people put this washer in backwards.

Failing that, perhaps your LBS will put it back together for you.

Calvin

"I've tightened a bolt or two."
Calvin's Absurd World
Quote Reply
Re: Help! How to put back the Shimano rear bar end shifter [klvn8r] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

Assuming Shimano shifters:

http://techdocs.shimano.com/...6577569830609202.pdf

Using the above as a reference, the lever boss cover only fits on one way. Make sure you line up the detent on the back of this piece. The next common problem is a brass-colored washer that has rectangular cutouts in it. It needs to be aligned with the corresponding rectangles on the boss cover. I've seen people put this washer in backwards.

Failing that, perhaps your LBS will put it back together for you.

Thanks. I have seen this diagram. My problem is with the "Rear Level", and in this diagram, the shifter and the friction mode adjustment mechanism is shown as one single piece. In my case, the friction mode adjuster came separated from the shifter itself, and my problem is that I can't put the two together again... :-(
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sure sign that's a ten speed shifter; been right where you are and spent days (literally) trying to get it back together. There are several pieces and each must be oriented correctly. hate to do this, but LBS might be best bet. good luck !

what means this word 'change'? .....
Rappstar
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've put these back together for a lot of people when I was working at a shop. It's not hard if you know how everything fits (and you have another shifter to use as a reference). Your LBS should have no problem helping you out.

Calvin

"I've tightened a bolt or two."
Calvin's Absurd World
Quote Reply