Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help!!! I'm plateauing on my RUN.
Quote | Reply
New to the sport, I'm training for an olympic tri in October with 3 sprints between now and then. My run training consists of two 30-40 minute runs per week and one long run that is about 70-85 minutes. What i'm finding is that the short runs are still making me sore and the long runs continue to be hard. Maybe i'm just fooling myself to think that the runs at one point will get easy. Will they?

I have 2-3 swims and 2-3 bikes in the same weeks right now. I'm trying to eat more to maintain bodyweight now (lost 15 pounds in first 2 months) because i'm 6'2" tall and down under 180 pounds for the first time since college when i was starving.

I'm following the Active.com "Give it a Tri" schedule and I love it... but I keep dreading the runs.

Any thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: Help!!! I'm plateauing on my RUN. [Burlybo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are better runners than I that post to this forum regularly, so I will defer to them. But I think your mid-week run mileage is too low. Two 30 to 40 minute runs are not enough to run decent off the bike for olympic distance races unless you are just a naturally gifted runner. I would suggest that you increase one of the runs to the 50-60 minute range and try to add another run if time is available. Try to get consistent on your long run where you are going about 1hr and a half at a minimum (aim for 2 to 3 times a month), slow pace. The fact that your runs are not getting easier may be an indication that you are either running too hard or running the same pace during all your run workouts. If your runs feel like they are too hard (especially if you are sore after), they most likely are...your body is telling you to slow down so back off on the pace.

Variety is the key to improve running. Critical, is doing low heart rate work to improve heart efficiency coupled with some higher intensity work. Based on your post, try to do most of your running at a low heart rate with one run per week more of a speed focus. Your long runs should all be done at a low heart rate. Once you have some consistency in your long runs, you can add a tempo interval or two (around 10 minutes at 75 to 80% of max heart rate).

P.s. Be sure to eat more and eat as soon as possible after a workout--this will help with the soreness. Also be dilligent about stretching after running.
Quote Reply
Re: Help!!! I'm plateauing on my RUN. [TCB Special] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, I think i've been running my short runs too hard.

Did you see that I am running one run per week of 70-85 minutes? Should I add another run to this, also, so that i'm running 4 times a week with two 30's, one 50-60, and one 70-80? I will work up to going longer, soon. Before I started training, i couldn't even run 2 miles... and that was 3 months ago.

I'll slow it down. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Help!!! I'm plateauing on my RUN. [TCB Special] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you're running plenty to be training for that distance, esp. if starting from scratch. You're big concern should be avoiding injury and getting fit. Fast will have to come later. Make sure you do that long run slllllloooooowwww. You shouldn't be huffing and puffing on that one, just building strength and endurance. One of those other runs should be at the same slow pace. On the third run, if you're not otherwise feeling beat up (maybe do it after your rest day), do a 10 minute warmup, 20 minutes hard, and 10 minute cooldown. I think you'll get more benefit subbing a really fast run, rather han just adding another one were you plod along.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i'd suggest one run at 30 minutes--pretty brisk pace, two at 50-60 minutes average pace, then your long run at a pace slightly slower than the 50-60 runs....

f/k/a mclamb6
Quote Reply
Re: Help!!! I'm plateauing on my RUN. [mclamb6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the feedback. I'm glad I found this forum. I am training 95% by myself and I'm starting to sort of just get out there in mysteryland, wondering if i'm training okay. Just keep pushing it. Sure am enjoying it, and so far (knock on my thick skull) I am injury free and haven't been ill.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was right where you are just a couple of years ago. I had to learn that slow training is the key for a while. Instead of a 30 minute fast run, though, try intervals instead. Don't get carried away with your intervals, you just need to run at about you best 5K pace for a couple of minutes at a time, then go back to your slow pace until you recover, repeat 5-8 times and cool down. Don't try to do more than your body tells you is OK...by that, I mean, don't get sore. As you get more acclimated, you can do more interval workouts, and even add that 30 minute hard run every once in a while...just not while you are beginning. Trust the slowness at first. It really works. The speed work IS important, or you will never really go fast, but not at first.

Welcome to the club of Healthy Addiction. It doesn't have to be expensive, but it can be!

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HILLS, HILLS, HILLS, AND MORE HILLS-

Find the nastiest, meanest, steepest, puke-inducing incline you can find, and Cowboy-Up that sucker.

Warm-Up 10-15 minutes. Start w/ 6 sprints up the hill as hard and fast as you can. Recover 2x's the duration on the way down. Run an additional 10-15 after to cool down. Work your way up to 10-12, and I promise a much faster run IF-

-You get at least 4 hill repeat sessions in before your next race

-You stop all hills 3 weeks prior.

If that doesn't work, ask me what a bulldog sprint is...

Only do this once a week.

Hope it helps,

Rob

http://www.reathcon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds to me that your volume is fine. You did not mention a heartrate monitor. Are you using one? If not, it's the best money spent at this point. I agree with the previous posters who mention slow distance to build strength on your long run - and most of your runs for that matter. But slow is qualitative, the real measure for a new runner like you is HR training. Some rely on perceived exersion, but that only worked for me after a couple of years of getting to know my body and how it reacts. And this came from monitoring HR at certain levels of perceived exersion, it that makes any sense.

Also, do you have a good book? "Triathlon Training Bible" (Friel) or "Serious Training for Endurance Athletes". SERIOUS was an invaluable tool for me when I started on my own with no real reference or training partners.

Personally, I don't think you are on a plateau at all. Your are still in a serious endurance building phase. I gave up on any running speed work for the 12 months of training and just looked to finish and Oly distance for my first race. Running was the hardest and it was not until the third season until I enjoyed or looked forward to any run over 90 minutes. Keep on running and good luck in your first season.

Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree it's going to take a little time. You might not be able to move off your plateau until next season, but keep at it. Don't overtrain, if you get hurt it will just add to the time. The only thing I would suggest is that you put some time in the weight room with leg presses, leg extensions, and leg curls for the hams. Take it light and easy at first. Consistency is the key. Also, use flats for the races, but at 180 I wouldn't use the lightest available.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"It doesn't get any easier, you just get faster."

-Greg LeMond
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pose!!! www.posetech.com. choke down the $35 and get the book. so as it says and be amazed. leg turn over is the key to speed.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what would be helpful is to know your fitness level [weekly running activity] sans tri-specific training.

that being said, 3 runs per week is 3 to few, especially when training for olympic distance. all things are relative, of course, but the reality is that you're running schedule is little more than maintanance. i agree with the other posts, but i'd go a bit farther and run 6 days per week. work the bike and swim in on days during light running.

like the other's say, add some intervals and tempo runs to your routine. plus, you need at least one long run per week, for two hours.

i have one disagreement. if you are indeed in training, it should hurt. the idea that there should be no soreness is much too optomistic. training the run is to push the body to a degree where it is broken down, and forced to compensate. you do this by heavy intensity during the interval and tempo days, and by longer than usual distance on your long runs.

there is a fine line between the correct level of workikng out and that which is too difficult so as to prevent quality workouts. however, you should expect some level of soreness in order to improve.

it's simple, but it aint easy, as some imply.

good luck,

sidvicious
Quote Reply
Re: Help!!! I'm plateauing on my RUN. [sidvicious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sidvicious? lol. he's turning in his grave knowing a tri-geek is using his name...ha.

i don't have time to run 6 days a week. would love to have that much time. i'm training on the "give it a tri" schedule on active.com and it seems to be working out okay. i slowed down a lot on my long run on saturday and it helped me tons. but i turned to soon and only got about 75 minutes in. i go back a lot faster than i go out. not sure why.

legs felt much better after slowing down. long bike today and then bricks the rest of the week. my first sprint is in 2 weeks and i have to do light workouts next week.
Quote Reply
Huh? wha? huh? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yikes! I think we all need to slow down here...I'm not sure how anyone can give you coaching advice without knowing more information.

1. How long have you been running?

2. What is your current 10k stand-alone race pace?

3. What is your goal pace (for both a 10k and an Oly)?

4. How much cycling do you do and are you new to that as well?

5. What is your average bike speed over 40k?

A couple of thoughts - Running doesn't necessarily get 'easy' but you should get to a point where you enjoy it. Depending on how long you have been at it you could either not be used to it enough to enjoy it or you might be running at too high of an intensity (as others have pointed out). You also don't have to thrash yourself to get a decent run speed!!! I am 6'2" 193lbs and run 2x/week with NO running background and after a couple years of inconsistent running (due to life, injuries and illness) I can knock out 7 minute miles for 10k+. I probably only run between 12 and 18 miles a week. This certainly isn't the fastest pace you'll find around here but its definitely enough to see you through your first Oly! Your biggest priority is to avoid injury and logging a lot of miles on a body that isn't accustomed to it is basically a sure fire way to mess yourself up.

Remember that if you are new to cycling as well then this will also help your running - with a lot less stress on the body. So what are the answers to those five questions? I think people here will be able to help you more if we know the answers :).

OT
Quote Reply
Re: Huh? wha? huh? [OT in CA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1. How long have you been running?

Although I was a college baseball player and 3 sport athlete my whole life, I have never run distances of over 2 or 3 miles. I've been running for 3 months, starting out with a run/walk of 20 minutes in my first week. I am up to about 7 or 8 miles on my long run and will push that probably close to 9 before my Olympic (according to my training schedule.)

2. What is your current 10k stand-alone race pace?

I'm a pretty slow runner so far I think. I have never raced. If I raced a 10k, I think i would run about 8 minute miles at the fastest. Just a guess, though.

3. What is your goal pace (for both a 10k and an Oly)?

I will just try to finish my first Olympic in October. I have 3 sprints before that.

4. How much cycling do you do and are you new to that as well?

I'm having a great time learning how to cycle right now. I go about 3 times a week with one 30 mile per week. The 30 mile takes me about 1:40 to complete, but it's chalk full of hills in the santa barbara back country. Fun ride.

5. What is your average bike speed over 40k?

When i'm on rolling hills and flats I probably average about 16-18mph... I just got a computer and am taking that just from a stop watch and general distance measurement.

PS: How do you keep your weight up? I was 195 and lost 15 pounds. I have a light frame but i'm now eating everything in sight! Nice to be fit, though.
Quote Reply