Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Helmets Are Out
Quote | Reply
Or so it would seem. I just finished a hill ride ending at the base of Glendora Mtn Rd. Its an 8 mile road that averages about 6%. On the descent we passed 19 cyclists who were climbing. 10 of them were not wearing helmets! Thats more than 50%. All were adults and 7 appeared to be fit, seasoned riders. 3 looked to be novices. Of the 10, 7 had no helmet at all, 2 had their helmets strapped to their handlebars, & 1 was riding with his helmet unbuckled. I counted him since his helmet was essentially offering no protection. It was a reasonably cool day so heat is not an excuse. I have to assume that these people have families that care about them, jobs, or other responsibilities. I just don't get it. Sure they were climbing at a relatively slow speed, but they have to get back down. What if they slipped and fell? A friend did that while climbing that road and broke his elbow. What if I went careening into them at 25 mph? For a long time it seemed that helmet use was pretty high around here. On a ride like this I might see 1 or 2 knuckleheads without helmets, but not 10 out of 19? Normally I wouldn't give it so much thought, but it really struck me today for some reason.

BTW: Of the 19 riders, 5 were female, 3 with helmet & 2 without. Out of the 14 males 6 wore helmets & 8 did not.

Gary Mc

The rule is helmet yesterday & helmet tomorrow, but today whatever.

Gary Mc
Did I mention I did Kona
Quote Reply
Re: Helmets Are Out [Gary Mc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
People are stupid. Never forget that.

-C

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Re: Helmets Are Out [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
People are stupid. Never forget that.

-C

Yeah, I know. I guess I just hoped the groups I'm a part of would be a little above the average.

Gary Mc

Consistently low expectations are the key to avoiding disappointment

Gary Mc
Did I mention I did Kona
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's an insane amount of detail to notice at 25 mph. Kudos on observant-ness.
Quote Reply
Re: Helmets Are Out [lisa michele] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
That's an insane amount of detail to notice at 25 mph. Kudos on observant-ness. -------------------------------------------------------- I usually wouldn't give it so much thought, but after I passed 3 guys in a row with no helmet, I decided to keep track. I kept getting more surprised the further I went and the numbers kept going up. On the plus side, it was an absolutely beautiful day to be in the mountains. I feel very lucky to have a national forest just outside my backdoor. Gary Mc

Gary Mc
Did I mention I did Kona
Quote Reply
Re: Helmets Are Out [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"People are stupid. Never forget that."

Agreed. There no reason to not were a helmet. It's like a seat-belt in the car. You hopefully will never need it, but when you do, it could save your life.

I came from the days when we never wore helmets cycling( back in the early 80's) we had to wear them in races, but not in training. I recall many many rides back then with no helmet or maybe a cycling cap on on a hot day. I must admit that there was something cool about riding along the road with nothing on your head - just the wind blowing in your hair. But, that was then. I just keep repeating my first paragraph over and over now and ALWAYS wear a helmet.

Fleck

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There was a little local triathlon near here a couple of weeks ago. Roughly 20 people participated, only 3 had helments! That shocked me, but I guess it shouldn't!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, at least they could all be organ donors.

I almost had a head-on with two guys on a real dangerous single track trail last weekend(they didn't have helmets on either).

Whatever, I wear mine ALWAYS.... even while test riding bikes at my shop.
Quote Reply
Re: Helmets Are Out [viking1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My 9 year old daughter always points out helmetless riders with an exclamation "Look dad, there goes an organ donor"
Quote Reply
Re: Helmets Are Out [Allan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
My 9 year old daughter always points out helmetless riders with an exclamation "Look dad, there goes an organ donor"

I taught my kids that same line, and they always say it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Loons I tell you. Today I passed four separate loons on MTB tearing down the trails (lots of rocks, roots and serious drops amonst the trees) sans helments. Idiots. There's another guy who rides his Tri bike where I do as well and is very fast, but without a helment. Idiot. Downhills easily get going 36 MPH. Just a matter of time...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What's the big deal? How many states don't have a helmet law in place for motorcycles? It's their noggin with the same mentality.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people

Buckminster Fuller (I think)

I can't remember the last time I saw a helmetless rider (real cyclist or trigeek that is). I see a few commuters without one, and the older Chinese guys coming home from the market (if they dowear one, it's invariably on backwards) but real cyclsits wear them down my way.

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is a guy here locally who I've seen now on two occasions without a helmet. He loves to get all the old retro bike garb and ride with it, which includes the matching cycling caps.

I wanted to hook up with some people for a ride and I stopped and talked to them if I could join them (was going 100+ that day) and I stopped before they could answer and I respectfully asked the guy why he didn't have his helmet on, I told him I'd seen him a few days ago without one too. He said something about freedom, and his choice and he never lets his kids see him riding without one.

Later on in the ride, he again mentioned something about injuries and studies in the UK indicating more injuries from people wearing helmets vs. not or something, and I said, "Well, I guess I can respect that, but I will personally choose to wear a helmet as it seems quite safer than not riding without one".

After he was done, he said, "Yes, I am pretty stupid for not wearing a helmet."

Heh, at least he knows he's being dumb.

My point I needed to make, but didn't point out, is that people who ride without a helmet influence others who take up the sport. And while maybe it's OK for one person to ride without it for personal reasons, that same person also can influence other people to make unsafe choices. The older cyclist and veterans need to set examples for us new people in the sport. If we come in and see people we respect and know they can ride fast not wearing one, maybe we can be persueaded not to.

Just saying I think it's bad and everyone should just ride with a helmet. Sure, they look stupid, but I prefer the protection it has the potential of offering me vs. riding without a helmet.

my 2 pennies.
Trae

--
Trae McCombs
TSR - Sponsored by the Masses. Racing for the hell of it.
Ironman Finisher 2005 -- 14:09:18
Last edited by: occy: Oct 2, 05 17:32
Quote Reply
Re: Helmets Are Out [TargetGoingLong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
they know, we all know. no there does not need to be a law. why is is always someone else's fault, someone else that needs to look after everyone else's shit. if they are out riding a bike in these places they know full well what the hell they are doing and if they are stupid enough to do it then f*** them, let them. it is not the government's job to be making laws to ensure the safety of idiotic citizens in our sue-happy country.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There was a day when helmets were not available, anywhere. Then the techno world provided us with a little leather thingy called a hairnet, and we all had to wear one because it was safe--not. Now we have the safety uber alles generation and we are all dambed to hell if we don't see eye to eye or personal safety. The reasons not to ride with a helmet are like every other thing that might happen to you when you stick your toes out from under your sheets. We each calculate the odds of something happening and weigh the consequences. No matter how supid it is to you, those choices go on. Do you know the majority of people think we're all idiots just for getting on a bike-helmet or not. To them you are an idiot, helmet and all. As a motorbike guy as well, people will walk out of the way to tell me what an idiot I am, and we are also known as organ doners. Don't take this as a personal attack, just answering your question. So becareful getting in and out of the tub or shower in the morning, just in case you slip and fall.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's a free country. If you have your own medical, accident and disability insurance (which I do), you are not placing a burden on the public at large.

I wear my helmet 95% of the time, but I often take it off for large climbs. I know the risks and accept them, and let myself live a little.

"When I first had the opportunity to compete in triathlon, it was the chicks and their skimpy race clothing that drew me in. Everyone was so welcoming and the lifestyle so obviously narcissistic. I fed off of that vain energy. To me it is what the sport is all about."
Quote Reply
Re: Helmets Are Out [XXX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Loons I tell you."

I see guys bombing around up at my cottage on ATV's with no helmets, illegally, on land they are not supposed to be on, on posted trails that they are not supposed to be on. Now these guys are loons, but if you stop them and question them, they tell you to, "*&^%-off" thinking you are the loon! We live in a very strange society these days, I must say.

Fleck

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep, lots of that down here in Miami. They're either not "in style" here or maybe they're "too hot." [shrug]
Quote Reply
Re: Helmets Are Out [Tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
It's a free country. If you have your own medical, accident and disability insurance (which I do), you are not placing a burden on the public at large.
This is not an accurate statement. When you have an accident, whose premiums do you think pays for your medical bills? It is thoughts like these that help to contribute to the high price of health insurance....And for those that have no insurance, it is the tax payer that foots their bill generally speaking.

KEEP ON TRI-NG
Quote Reply
Re: Helmets Are Out [GatorDawg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply][reply]

[/reply]
This is not an accurate statement. When you have an accident, whose premiums do you think pays for your medical bills? It is thoughts like these that help to contribute to the high price of health insurance....And for those that have no insurance, it is the tax payer that foots their bill generally speaking.[/reply]

even beyond that all insurance has limits, if you turn into a brain dead vegetable your insurance isn't going to pay forever,

so not only will you push up insurance rates, eventually the taxpayers will have to take over.

if you want to ride helmetless, sign something saying society has the right to pull the plug on your self-centereed ass.

"the trouble with normal is - it always gets worse"

- Cockburn
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm sure none of you talk on your cell phone while driving and are always sure to obey single traffic law as well. I always wonder how we have any people left in the world. The overly safety conscious pepople have gone a little too far on their crusades of eliminating any possible harm that could be bestowed upon us. Lets all take a deep breath and start worrying about ourselves a little more. These people were climbing a hill, and more than likely not going over ten miles an hour (about how fast you probably rode your bike when you were a kid without a helmet on). Next time maybe you should stop (using proper hand signals), turn, again signaling and proceed to lecture them on their irresponsible behavior.

Go Faster
Quote Reply
Re: Helmets Are Out [ajm44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 I'm not saying people shouldn't engage in potentially dangerous activities.
I'm saying they should use the safety equipment that is available to them when they do.
no man is an island. be considerate of your fellow man. none of these people would have a problem with you and me paying for their being hoked to a machine for the rest of their lives.

that to me is just wrong.

"the trouble with normal is - it always gets worse"

- Cockburn
Quote Reply
Re: Helmets Are Out [miater] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a new idea, how about we all just train on treadmills, bike stands (rollers are dangerous), and swim in a 4 foot deep pool with a lifejacket on.

Go Faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went to a group ride last week and I forgot to put my helmet in my car. So I rode with my baseball cap. Whatever.
Quote Reply

Prev Next