Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Helmet use in Giro D'Italia
Quote | Reply
What's the story? I just saw the riders in the Giro, on OLN TV, riding without helmets. I thought they just passed a rule requiring mandatory wearing of helmets in euro. road racing.

Richard
Last edited by: R Isgrigg: May 22, 03 7:18
Quote Reply
Re: Helmet use in Giro D'Italia [R Isgrigg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On finishing climbs of 5k or more they can remove their helmets. Part of the new rule.

http://irondad06.blogspot.com/

http://irondad.blogspot.com/

Quote Reply
Re: Helmet use in Giro D'Italia [IronDad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wouldn't it be more useful on the downhill in the first place?
Quote Reply
Re: Helmet use in Giro D'Italia [BoomBoomPuddles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's why it is only on FINISHING climbs. Tuesday's stage, for example, had plenty of climbing, but the finish was on/after the downhill, hence, helmets were required throughout the stage including ALL the climbs.
Quote Reply
Re: Helmet use in Giro D'Italia [TriBriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
it's a good thing that they have insituted the helmet rule when they make absolutely assinine decisions regarding course layout such as the finishing sprint on yesterday's stage 11 that was tailor made for a spectacular crash--even if it had been dry...

the other ironic thing about the helmet rule and descents is that those guys bomb down those mountains so fast, if they crashed, a helmet would not make a difference 8 or 9 times out of 10...

f/k/a mclamb6
Quote Reply
Re: Helmet use in Giro D'Italia [mclamb6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
what is your evedince?

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Re: Helmet use in Giro D'Italia [customerjon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
no hard evidence, although the wreck of casartellli(sp) in the mid 90's comes to mind. didn't mean to imply that i had any hard evidence. it just seems to me that if there is some sort of collision with the head and a hard object at 45-65 mph, a helmet isn't going to do much good. i am not even sure if they are designed to protect at those speeds. and i guess i should add that my "statistic" covers instances in which there is a major meeting of head on road/curb/pavement, as there are plenty of crashes where the rider gets onto his/her hip at speed and is just fine. i am referring to instances where the helmet really gets knocked....

f/k/a mclamb6
Quote Reply
Re: Helmet use in Giro D'Italia [mclamb6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the odds are a lot better for living through any wreck if you have a skid lid.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply