Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Helmet fit frustration
Quote | Reply
So I am replacing my cheap Bell one-size-fits-all road helmet that I bought about 8 years ago when I first began cycling. Actually putting some effort into the selection this time and reading up on getting a good fit. I have read through a lot of good info from helmets.org, and one of the recommended fitting steps is to push up on the back and front of the helmet in turn, and make sure the helmet does not move so much that it exposes too much of the back or front of your head (like it shouldn't move more than an inch or two). I have spent a good hour + fiddling with the straps on a recently purchased helmet (Giro Foray), and I cannot for the life of me get the thing to not slide back and expose my entire forehead when pushed from the front. It slides up to about my hairline. It's not so much that the front of the helmet lifts up or that the straps are too long (I have adjusted them as short as is reasonable in the front without choking me), it's more that the whole helmet wants to rotate back, i.e. the back of the helmet slides down the back of my head while simultaneously the front slides up and back along my forehead. I am certain I have a god fit with the dial-adjusted "cradle" that your head sits in, and the side straps come together just under and slightly in front of my ears as per the recommendations. Am I overthinking it? Or do I need to move on and try a different model? My head circumference is around 59cm and the helmet is a medium.
Quote Reply
Re: Helmet fit frustration [mcclelland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
did you buy this in a store or online?

most helmets have a rotary dial lock in the back and that it what I find actually holds it snuggly on my head. The straps are just to prevent the helmet grossly falling off your head.

Or maybe you just have a weird shaped head.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by windschatten [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: windschatten: Oct 24, 18 21:22
Re: Helmet fit frustration [tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tri_yoda wrote:
did you buy this in a store or online?

most helmets have a rotary dial lock in the back and that it what I find actually holds it snuggly on my head. The straps are just to prevent the helmet grossly falling off your head.

Or maybe you just have a weird shaped head.

Bought it online. I snugged the rotary dial down to a snug fit without it squeezing too hard. Probably spot-on about the weird shaped head!
Quote Reply
Re: Helmet fit frustration [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windschatten wrote:
A good quality helmet should allow you to move the cradle with the dial at the back of your head up and down.
You want that cradle with the dial to be as far down as possible without it pushing the helmet forward down into your eyes/sunglasses when riding.

Good luck.

Thanks I'll try that!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I too have the same problem with my helmet. I will surely use your idea to get it fixed properly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your helmet has adjustable strap dividers on each side. First of all, adjust them so that they aren't too far down under your ears. Adjust them so that they are close to your ears, without touching them. When you have that sorted, try shortening the front straps (using the divider). This should make it more diffcult to pull the helmet backwards and expose your forehead.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had similar issues, what I found was that the retention systems got better the nicer helmet I purchased. Not saying this is case for all companies
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The only thing that will keep the helmet from sliding when there is a substantial force on it is a hard stop. And there isn't one.

You may be comforted to know that bicycle helmets are primarily a placebo device. Their effectiveness at reducing fatal injury (their intended design purpose) is ~zero.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have tried multiple brands of helmets, and I found they all fit differently. The Foray may not be the right fit for you. I tried a Rudy Project and a Giro helmet before getting my current Bell that fits perfectly. Before that, in order to get a helmet that was snug enough that it would not slide too much, I would end rides with pain and deep marks on my forehead from helmets.

http://alexandrabikes.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Different brands fit differently. Buying from a shop may help you see which brand and model fits you.

A helmet saved me when I went head first like superman into a metal street sign. Get one that fits, you and your family may depend on it.
Quote Reply
Re: Helmet fit frustration [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
The only thing that will keep the helmet from sliding when there is a substantial force on it is a hard stop. And there isn't one.

You may be comforted to know that bicycle helmets are primarily a placebo device. Their effectiveness at reducing fatal injury (their intended design purpose) is ~zero.
^^Interested to see data that backs up this statement.
Quote Reply
Re: Helmet fit frustration [surroundhound] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There was a *very* long thread on this forum a few years back. Plus google. I'm not interested in discussing it, because helmet effectiveness seems to fall into the same category as religion and other belief systems for most people. They get really agitated if their beliefs are threatened.
Quote Reply
Re: Helmet fit frustration [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll take a look, thanks. Not trying to be combative, just genuinely interested as I hadn't heard this before.
Quote Reply