Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Helmet expiration question
Quote | Reply
Looking to complete my first race in 7+ years and wanted to ask about helmets. I have a giro advantage 2 from 2007.

Is it still race legal, or I need to get a new one. It's only been worn in races, but guessing the date is more the focus.

I feel like I've heard that helmets expire and others say they don't. Any official answers would be great.
Quote Reply
Re: Helmet expiration question [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/blog/when-to-replace-your-bike-helmet/

This article talks about what can wear or degrade on a helmet. There is about 0 chance that anything has degraded on your helmet from your description. New safety features, like MIPS, may further reduce the chance of serious injury, so I upgrade about every 5 years.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Helmets don't notably degrade over time (unless they are stored in really unfavorable conditions). The helmet should be fine (and is still race legal), just make sure the certification sticker is still in place.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Helmet expiration question [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks guys. Yes, I definitely made sure the stickers were still there. I was looking at the giro aero mips and was gonna get it if I had too. Might be wise.

Appreciate it
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Aerohead is a great helmet, and generally faster than the A2. That being said, it's more of a question of if you want to upgrade vs needing to.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply