Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Helmet Advice
Quote | Reply
Had the same lid for almost 6 years now and looking to upgrade! There seem to be many more choices than when i last bought! I have a large head am looking for something comfortable, affordable and aero - in that order. Almost all tri related rising, very little road. Anyone got a suggestion? Maybe one that's on cyber Monday sale? Thanks in advance......
Quote Reply
Re: Helmet Advice [Edor5505] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a large melon, too. Mine is 62cm. Most size LARGE helmets only go up to 61 or 62 cm. Most are too snug for me. Specialized size LARGE fits up to 63 cm. The EVADE or the S-Works TT are best aero lids.

Habitual line stepper.
Quote Reply
Re: Helmet Advice [zeusrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pretty sure i have 62, but will have to confirm before buying. Love the Evade, but man they ARE proud of those aren't they? Seems like all the very good helmets are $200+?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Spend the money, get the right helmet. You're probably right on the pride - certain price points might reflect a little baked-in brand-name profit - but it's worth it, and such a small fraction of the cost of a bike or even a set of wheels... A great helmet can make some of the most tangible improvements in every single ride you do - ventilation, wind noise, comfort, and most importantly/hopefully least frequently, safety.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am in a similar situation to you. I have an almost 8 year old Giro Selector (bought second hand on ebay).

I got to the point that I didn't trust the plastics and foams in the helmet anymore. Last year I did one race in the Giro Selector and everything else was using the Bontrager Ballista. Bontrager Ballista review - Cycling Weekly I also picked up the Bontrager Specter WaveCel Cycling Helmet | Trek Bikes. Both helmets are exceptionally comfortable and breath well. The Ballista is more aero on its surface but the Specter has a lower profile on the head because it is using the WaveCel technology instead of MIPS.

If you look at this article. Bike details of the Top 15 Kona male Pros - Slowtwitch.com, you can see that many of the cyclist at Kona used an aero road helmet vs a TT aero helmet. the Scott Cadence Plus is certainly an option that worked well for Sebastian Kienle. Scott Cadence Plus: Aero Road Done Right - Slowtwitch.com

Maybe you can find one of these two second hand or on sale:

scott cadence plus for sale - Google Shopping

bontrager ballista MIPS for sale - Google Shopping

If you cannot find one of the above, here are some from 2019 that you can search for sales on.

Best aero helmets: helmets that save valuable seconds | Cyclingnews
Quote Reply
Re: Helmet Advice [LifeTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Above and beyond my man. Thank you! very helpful.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Edor5505 wrote:
Above and beyond my man. Thank you! very helpful.

You bet, happy shopping.
Quote Reply