Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hellriegel's Cannondale: The official Cannondale company line.
Quote | Reply
I just got off the phone with Cannondale. They returned my telephone inquiry about the bike Thomas Hellriegel used in Kona. The bike was a custom Optimo tubing bike not seen in the standard Cannondale catalog. Hellriegel used this bike for the following reasons (according to Cannondale).

1. The Optimo tubing used in his custom, round tube frame is the current state-of-the-art at Cannondale and their lightest tubes. He wanted light bike.

2. Hellriegel wanted round tubes to improve crosswind performance.

3. Hellriegel was most concerned about fit, and this bike could be custom configured for his specific geometry.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Hellriegel's Cannondale: The official Cannondale company line. [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Answers on par with Treks comments after Lance was on Litespeed painted with Trek decals...

You still see MANY Litespeeds with Trek (and other decals). A guy who lives in the city I do races for Trek - on a Palmeres with Trek decals. (he also has Record 10 - and Shimano stickers on the bike?!?!?)

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: Hellriegel's Cannondale: The official Cannondale company line. [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"2. Hellriegel wanted round tubes to improve crosswind performance"

Huh.
Quote Reply
Re: Hellriegel's Cannondale: The official Cannondale company line. [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Round tubes don't get blown around by crosswinds nearly as much as bladed bikes. The past few years in Hawaii, this has been a problem. My buddy on a P3 was blown off the road twice two years ago. By this comment I'm guessing Hellriegel just didn't want to risk getting blown around. A sudden 40 mph crosswind can cause havock to even a good bike handler.

---------------

"Remember: a bicycle is an elegant and efficient tool designed for seeking out and defeating people who aren't as good as you."

--BikeSnobNYC
Quote Reply
Re: Hellriegel's Cannondale: The official Cannondale company line. [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My first "good bike" was a Torpado...bought in the early 80's. My brother had it until last month when I recovered it from his basement. I had thoughts of restoring it...but it's got too much rust on it.

The classic Italian shape, the ROUND steel tubes, the tiny seatstays...I tell you, it looks like it would be aero because the tubes are so small, especially compared to the frame of my Talon! I remember it rode very comfortably, too. I think many times I have been guilty of chasing some aero design that may or may not give real benefits. Well, no more! Although, you can't pry my H3 front or disc rear away from me...they DO give real benefits in speed.

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply