Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hed wheel building
Quote | Reply
Can you buy hed jet rims? Got a set of dt swiss hubs I'd love to have built up into a nice set of wheels, and I want a set of hed jets, so I was kinda hoping I could just do both at the same time. Dont see them for sale anywhere though.
Quote Reply
Re: Hed wheel building [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've never seen jet rims for sale. The only deep profile rims they sell are the full carbon vanquish.
Quote Reply
Re: Hed wheel building [j.shanney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same here. I've never seen just rims for sale either. I went through my small list of sites just now and didn't see a single HED rim at all. I would suggest finding HED wheels with a damaged/neglected hub and swapping it out with the DT Swiss hubs, but I have no idea how long it would take to find two matching rims, let alone in the depth you are looking for.

The more people I encounter the more I love my cats.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They used to sell rims a while ago, and the prices were very good, 30% less compared to Zipp or Enve (Edge at the time). Unfortunately, Most of their products are only sold as complete wheels now.

Louis :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Hed wheel building [louisn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My issue with building with a jet rim is the spoke nipples are different.

They go through the fairing so the nipple is on top. When I built one I had to make my own nipples. It was a lot of work. Also the spoke length was difficult.

The next problem is lacing, you'd have to get a hub with the correct flange dimensions so the holes in the fairing line up.

The next problem I ran into was while lacing, it's difficult to get the crossed spokes through the fairing. If you leave everything really loose it's easier. I did a rear 60, I'd imagine a 90 would be much more difficult.

The last problem is tensioning. You need to be careful to tighten very evenly or you will pull the fairing off the rim.

Other than that it was a piece of cake.

Edit: If I really wanted a carbon wheel with an aluminum brake track I'd be looking at these but they are not the latest shape.
https://www.carbonspeedcycle.com/...loy-brake-track.html
Last edited by: jaretj: May 22, 20 4:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
imswimmer328 wrote:
Can you buy hed jet rims? Got a set of dt swiss hubs I'd love to have built up into a nice set of wheels, and I want a set of hed jets, so I was kinda hoping I could just do both at the same time. Dont see them for sale anywhere though.
I've never seen them for sale either but I would at least ask HED if they would do it for you. They rebuild jet rims for repairs so in principle they could do it, though I wouldn't be surprised if they don't want to get into using third party hubs etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Hed wheel building [lanierb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HED won't sell those rims.
Quote Reply
Re: Hed wheel building [Slug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That might be pretty tough, as their hubs seem to last for ever. I have seen HEDs built with different hubs, nit sure if they had HED build them or what.

Pactimo brand ambassador, ask me about promo codes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a three Jets withPowerTaps. The spoke nipples are reused and my bike shop has a spoke cutter, which allows them to rebuild the wheels with the original spokes. They did however have to use new spokes when I gave them an older SL+. Hub flange was probably too tall to cut the bladed spokes. I have 50 and 60 mm HEDs, Flo 60, and a Bomtrager 50 (all aluminum rim with carbon fairing wheels) without slotting the holes, so a flange height doesn’t seem to be an issue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've asked HED before (this was awhile ago mind.) The reply was that they used to, but that building carbon fairing wheels was tricky because they found alot of wheelbuilders weren't really building them properly resulting in lots of complaints. So they decided to stop.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Correct, we don't sell Jet rims. We have our reasons - they are not because we want to limit the availability of the rims. Conjecture in the comments on this thread explains some of it. As an example, our drilling angles are different from side to side on rear wheels, which have different flange sizes. That makes a difference. The angles are even different on FRONT disc brake Jets which don't have much variation in hub dimension from side to side. They do have some though, enough that we take the time to drill the brake side and NB side differently.
So, it is more complicated than it looks and there are multiple reasons why we don't sell rims only.

the answer to the original post is, no. They are not available as a rim.

Andy Tetmeyer (I work at HED)

Quote Reply