Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hed Jet black vs aeolus ?
Quote | Reply
Alright slowtwitchers, after much whining I fixed my original speed concept rear brake. The calipers work but the actual braking still sucks with the OEM Bontrager aeolus 7's. How much better would the braking be on the Hed Jet Blacks?

Brian
“Eat and Drink, spin the legs and you’re going to effin push (today).” A Howe
Quote Reply
Re: Hed Jet black vs aeolus ? [TriBri00] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Significantly. With the right pads, the Blacks track is almost too strong. Even with the wrong pads, it’s splendid. Salmon for most instances, the Swissstop dark blue ones for wet conditions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Braking is pretty ridiculous with the blacks. I had my Garmin 520 crash alarm go off on me 6 times this weekend while braking for stop lights. That's crazy... Garmin thinks I crashed into something because the deceleration is so strong.

TriBri00 wrote:
Alright slowtwitchers, after much whining I fixed my original speed concept rear brake. The calipers work but the actual braking still sucks with the OEM Bontrager aeolus 7's. How much better would the braking be on the Hed Jet Blacks?

What's your CdA?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jet Blacks are insane braking. Nearly the same wet or dry. I got a set for my TT bike. I was so blown away I just upgraded my road bike to Ardennes Black wheels to match.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a weak back brake with my speed concept also. I was feeling this on my jet blacks too. I ended up taking it to the shop and it turns out the rear brake cable was binding up and couldn’t grab the rim tight enough at higher speeds. It was a safety issue. After that got fixed, new pads on the jet blacks is awesome.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the blacks, and have used carbon brake surface in the past (Zipper super 9 / 808).
Blacks obviously brake better, but when using swiss stop black prince pads on my trek speed concept, I never had any issues braking with the zipps. That included using them in massive downpours during races.

If your only reason for considering new wheels is the braking, maybe try better pads first, and as others said, verify the cable routing is good?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HED Black background: 2 fast Mt. Evans descents, Beartooth Pass (very fast), Yellowstone Grand Loop. Braking was important.

I feel the blacks are about half way between the regular alum rim and a disc brake. The Blacks do break very well, but the modulation is NOT the same as disc. Is it enough for me in all situations? I think so as I had a few OMG moments in the rain and heavy traffic in the switchbacks. That sucked, but I never felt power lacking even in those conditions.

Disc even in 140mm is still more confidence inspiring yet, but I'm not sure it makes much difference over the already strong Blacks in real world measuring?

Black vs. carbon....now that's not even close....

24 Hour World TT Champs-American record holder
Fat Bike Worlds - Race Director
Insta: chris.s.apex
Quote Reply
Re: Hed Jet black vs aeolus ? [cmscat50] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks for all the input. I'm in.

anyone care to opine on using them tubeless? My plan is to go tubeless with the Conti 5000 TL

Brian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've never run a HED road wheel tubeless.

That said here's my list of drama for the year on the PLUS rim.

Pinch flat and potential loss of podium place Snake Alley Crit P-1-2 race
Pinch flat MN state Criterium in a 2 man break away
DOUBLE pinch flat RR tracks training ride at 5AM

All about 78psi :/

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
maybe you should go tubeless......

Brian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What is your setup? I know we run these wheels at lower psi's, but maybe 78 is a bit too low and causing the pinches??

On mine, I use the Hed supplied thin black rim tape, vittoria latex tubes, 23mm Conti GP4000SII tires. I weighed in around 180 this past summer, and I pumped them close to 90 psi. Knock on wood, no flats.
Quote Reply
Re: Hed Jet black vs aeolus ? [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
145# and very fast / fragile tires :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
buy HED because they support me. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I run the 6+'s tubeless on my road bike and they're great. Never had an issue with them and currently rolling on Scwalbe Pro One's. Will probably try the new 5000 tubeless tires when I change them.
Quote Reply
Re: Hed Jet black vs aeolus ? [xeon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wheels on their way. Now I need to find more races to enter into.

Brian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can anyone compare the Jet+ to the Jet+ Black? I'm not changing wheels. I live in a very flat area so upgrading to the black brake track would purely be for aesthetics, haha. Just wonder how much better the braking ability really is.
Quote Reply
Re: Hed Jet black vs aeolus ? [KG6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Black is significantly better braking. Like I said above...about half way between regular alloy and disc.

Quote Reply
Re: Hed Jet black vs aeolus ? [KG6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Blacks are not a whole lot different from regular alloy in dry. However wet is miraculous. Blacks are almost the same wet or dry. I upgraded my road bike to Ardennes Black for the wet braking.

And they look great too. ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Hed Jet black vs aeolus ? [talbotcox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
buy HED because they support me. :)

Best answer!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cmscat50 wrote:
Black is significantly better braking. Like I said above...about half way between regular alloy and disc.

Ooh, a back-handed slap at the Rim Brake Mafia. The gold standard for rim brake is only halfway to disc!
Quote Reply
Re: Hed Jet black vs aeolus ? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And get this. I am the president of the rim brake mafia / aero weenie geek!

I bought a domane with disc this year for gravel. Even with tiny 140 rotors its not close in performance. I rode 20,000 miles this year. Mostly Domane. Maybe 5k on a rim brake 2018 madone.

Now I own a Madone slr disc. As soon as trek has a SC disc I need that too. Yep the aero weenie in me might have died a bit but I will find the -2-5 watts elsewhere :)

Quote Reply