Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hed Alps ???
Quote | Reply
Happy New Year to all,

I am looking into getting a set of Hed Alps (700c clinchers) for IM racing. Does anyone have any experience with the wheels going out of true easily? Also since the spokes go through the carbon, has anyone experienced water getting trapped inside, while training/racing in the rain?

Thank you much,

-Joe
Quote Reply
Re: Hed Alps ??? [Kinesio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If your'e a big fella, there is a bigger chance of them comming untrue because of the Ti spokes. Anne at HED can get them built to Stainless spokes before they get sent out.

We have rebuilt a couple of wheels for the bigger riders who had problems with them comming out of true, too stainless.....problem solved. No smaller riders (under 85kg.....i think that's 185pds) have had problems from my experience.

Paul

HED Australia
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i own and race on them, though in the sew-up format. i've had no problem with them staying true.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had a pair of Alps for two seasons now, the mechanic in LBS tells me that there is a slight bump out of true on the front wheel which is v hard to correct due to the large space between the small number of spokes but that this is a common problem with any wheel with a small spoke count. As regards getting water trapped in the rim, this does not happen as the carbon fairing is solid and the area where there spoke penetrates is sealed. I had a pair of HED Jets and they drove me mad as every time I had ridden in the rain I had to remove the tyre and rotate the wheel side to side around the valve hole to drain it . Not a problem with the Alps.

Anyone have any experience with Nimble Crosswinds they could relate? I hanker after a pair and would like some user feedback.

Thanks, Julian in England.

"How bad can it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: Hed Alps ??? [jk_allen13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks to all for responding. I race at about 175-180 lbs at 6'3". Maybe I'll hold off the fast wheels and work on my running.

-Joe
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You should also look at the Zipp 404's - very light and pretty strong. Also, try to convince yourself that tubulars are OK.
Quote Reply