Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Heat adaptation... sun adaptation too?
Quote | Reply
Is adaptation to the sun needed also? Any studies or data on this?
I've been doing some heat acclimation, and it seems to be helping. However, I always do it when the sun is low or indoors. I try to avoid the sun as much as possible because I've had melanoma.
Quote Reply
Re: Heat adaptation... sun adaptation too? [hubcaps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
then you will get burned. Although I don't really think you can get "acclimated" to solar radiation. It is just another oppressive aspect about living in a hot and humid climate.

Use this link to save $5 off your USAT membership renewal:
https://membership.usatriathlon.org/...A2-BAD7-6137B629D9B7
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hubcaps wrote:
I've been doing some heat acclimation, and it seems to be helping. However, I always do it when the sun is low or indoors. I try to avoid the sun as much as possible because I've had melanoma.

Coming from a cold climate on Kona race week, especially from the East coast, I would see a lot of athletes training at 7 am, which is the equivalent of 1 pm back home. In my view this is the wrong time to train on Kona race week. I'd try to do all my training at high noon in Kona and sleep in as late as possible (which is hard). I'd try to get as much sun as possible without getting a sun burn until Wed before the race and have Thursday and Friday to totally hide from the sun and give my skin some "time off from sun" to get a full recovery before race day's all day solar pounding.

For sure, being able to deal with the sun all day is a huge advantage beyond pure heat training. It's not an insignificant part of the day of stress. Also on race day, I would have a small bottle of SPF30+ to start the run with and just pour over my head and cover my skin with during the first mile. Its like free shade for your skin. After 3 pm, you're mainly dealing with heat load not as much solar load
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hubcaps wrote:
I've had melanoma.

This answers your question. Stay out of the sun (solar) and adapt to the heat. I live in the south and the way you adapt to the sun.....to a limit...is getting a tan. The heat is the key.
Quote Reply
Re: Heat adaptation... sun adaptation too? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
hubcaps wrote:

Coming from a cold climate on Kona race week, especially from the East coast, I would see a lot of athletes training at 7 am, which is the equivalent of 1 pm back home. In my view this is the wrong time to train on Kona race week. I'd try to do all my training at high noon in Kona and sleep in as late as possible (which is hard). I'd try to get as much sun as possible without getting a sun burn until Wed before the race and have Thursday and Friday to totally hide from the sun and give my skin some "time off from sun" to get a full recovery before race day's all day solar pounding.

For sure, being able to deal with the sun all day is a huge advantage beyond pure heat training. It's not an insignificant part of the day of stress. Also on race day, I would have a small bottle of SPF30+ to start the run with and just pour over my head and cover my skin with during the first mile. Its like free shade for your skin. After 3 pm, you're mainly dealing with heat load not as much solar load
It is okay for you folks from the sub continent as it is in your genes to be out of the harsh sun batting through three sessions every day.Spare a thought for those of us with English ancestry and throw in the "Ginger Gene" just for fun.I'll be wearing a white,long sleeve surf rashie for the duration of Ironman Langkawi......and I would have had a month in Thailand beforehand. :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tanning is your body's way of adapting to sun exposure. But it is limited by genetics how tan you can get and/or how much you need to tan to "adopt" to the sun. Dermatologists always recommend you wear sunscreen if you are going to expose yourself to the sun and remember to reapply every 2 hrs regardless of genetics. You're just exposing yourself to an increased chance of cancer otherwise. Our bodies are hardy and can adopt to many things, radiation isn't one of them.

Also use wax based sticks or lotions. Dont use sprays. A recent study conducted by the FDA have shown that the active ingredients within sunscreen will enter into the blood stream. The greatest amount from spray type products. While there are no long term studies of the affects of having metal oxides within the body, its always better safe than sorry.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The best adaptation to the sun is getting smarter about what to do. Polarized sun glasses, sunscreen every 2 hours after 10am, wide brimmed hats, long sleeves, training out of the sun when possible...

A nice dose of sun is good for you. More than that is not. Just like most things.

But your skin doesn't really get more sun adapted the more time you spend in the sun - after a certain point, it just gets more damaged.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the replies. I'm in just habit of avoiding the sun, except for race day, that I didn't think about just covering up midday with things like with cooling sleeves. I guess that will add additional heat adaptation too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Saw an article that said that training in the sun actually saps one strength. Or in another words, it adds to the training load. Would like to find that article/data for you.

Here's something from Training Peaks. https://www.trainingpeaks.com/...-about-sun-exposure/

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hubcaps wrote:

Perhaps only in the sense that the sun adds an elements of Radiant heat that drastically affects thermal balance. Such that training in a hot and humid sauna, even if it matches the ambient conditions of raceday, still lacks an additional element that will affect your ability to regulate your body heat.

However, when moving through a heat adaptation protocol, you are not trying to stew in a particular (representative) environment. Just an environment that is enough to elicit an adaptation response. Therefore, I do not believe you need specific protocols or efforts for the sun.

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Quote Reply