Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Heat Exhaustion at Chattanooga
Quote | Reply
Is there a possible nutrition component to heat exhaustion? Talented athlete running sub-7 min pace starts experiencing nausea, cold, goose bumps, dizzy, and cramps around mile 9. Medical pulled him from the race at an aid station after vomiting. Textbook heat exhaustion symptoms. Is this strictly a reaction to the heat or is there a possibility he took in too much or too little salt?

Geoff from Indy
http://www.tlcendurance.com
Quote Reply
Re: Heat Exhaustion at Chattanooga [geoffreydean] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Asking for a friend?

This is more of a medical question really. I would guess that your friend was cooked no matter what he was or wasn't taking. Sometimes you just push it too far - good thing he was pulled from the race.

"They know f_ck-all over at Slowtwitch"
- Lionel Sanders
Quote Reply
Re: Heat Exhaustion at Chattanooga [Fuller] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm thinking the same thing. I think pace + heat took core temp too high. The athlete thinks some precise salt balance was off or something but to me, this just sounds like most if not all the issue was just plain heat.

Geoff from Indy
http://www.tlcendurance.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It was the heat. I was there and it was terrible. I'm a 8:00 pace guy and with a 104 heat index it was the hardest race, (my pace was a 9:40) I have ever done. The DNF rate was 24%. Third highest in IM history followed only behind.....wait for it.....IMCH in 2016.....so Chatty now owns 2 of the top 3 highest DNF rates in history because of the heat. I saw people passed out on the side of the road during the run, people throwing up everywhere....it was survival. Ambulances and police were busy.
Quote Reply
Re: Heat Exhaustion at Chattanooga [Scottxs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tough day. I called it quits late in the run. I had nutrition/hydration issues starting midway through the bike so struggled to finish that leg so knew my "run" would be a struggle. Halfway through couldn't even drink anything. Made it another 5 miles of mostly slow walking and called it quits and immediately vomited any liquids left in me. My body at that point was obviously not absorbing any liquids or digesting anything. I saw a lot of people in worse shape than I was. I can't say I felt overheated but obviously my body was.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When you hear hoofbeats, think of horses not zebras
Quote Reply
Re: Heat Exhaustion at Chattanooga [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Man I thought we had tough run conditions at Ironman Maryland. Choo temps made it look like we had a nice autumn stroll.

But they moved IMMD eariler for 2020, so maybe it'll be hotter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"The DNF rate was 24%. Third highest in IM history followed only behind.....wait for it.....IMCH in 2016.....so Chatty now owns 2 of the top 3 highest DNF rates in history because of the heat. "
-------------------------------
There was also a ~15% DNS rate making the finish % of registrants at ~40%! I feel privileged and lucky!

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: Heat Exhaustion at Chattanooga [reefblastbody] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
reefblastbody wrote:
Man I thought we had tough run conditions at Ironman Maryland. Choo temps made it look like we had a nice autumn stroll.

Is MD course super flat?
Quote Reply
Re: Heat Exhaustion at Chattanooga [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mickison wrote:
reefblastbody wrote:

Is MD course super flat?

I don't think it gets flatter than IMMD.
16 feet of elevation on the bike, 50 on the run. And very good road conditions. Only thing slowing you down is the wind.
Quote Reply
Re: Heat Exhaustion at Chattanooga [dgutstadt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not a fan of wind on the bike but a flat run would be nice.
Quote Reply
Re: Heat Exhaustion at Chattanooga [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hahaha Im an old guy and DNF after start of the run so i was curious what the DNF rates were for the old folk males

approximately the following
55-59 40%
60-64 60%
65-69 50%
70+ 100%

Guys were dropping like flies starting at mile 70 - note guys not Ladies - hummmm

Congrats to those who finished better man than I
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Scottxs wrote:
It was the heat. I was there and it was terrible. I'm a 8:00 pace guy and with a 104 heat index it was the hardest race, (my pace was a 9:40) I have ever done. The DNF rate was 24%. Third highest in IM history followed only behind.....wait for it.....IMCH in 2016.....so Chatty now owns 2 of the top 3 highest DNF rates in history because of the heat. I saw people passed out on the side of the road during the run, people throwing up everywhere....it was survival. Ambulances and police were busy.

I am a 8:00 guy in 104 heat index...welcome to south florida.
I should do IMCH haha

I have never raced in anything under 90 heat index...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like me at whistler last year.... my first dnf

It was heat and lack of prep. Nutrition was on point
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This was my first full and I definitely didn’t train enough. Took the first half of the bike too fast probably and started feeling the heat. Took off my helmet visor and slowed down a bit for the second half. Run was just a run/walk combo to each aid station and keeping up on cool water and calories. I didn’t have another full to compare it to and seeing the results I was surprised by the DNF rate being one of the highest. I just assumed most fulls had plenty of people passed out along the side of the road. I think people that tried to race or hit a time goal are the ones that really paid the price.

Great race though. Definitely enjoyed it and may do another full in the future. Hopefully one that’s a bit cooler.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like he pushed too hard. A lot of athletes are too hard headed to realize you need to slow (way) down in those conditions. Maybe 20-25% slower than usual.

Augusta was tough on folks this year as well with a heat index over 100. Can’t imagine doubling the distance in the same conditions.
Quote Reply
Re: Heat Exhaustion at Chattanooga [leeman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
leeman wrote:
Hahaha Im an old guy and DNF after start of the run so i was curious what the DNF rates were for the old folk males

approximately the following
55-59 40%
60-64 60%
65-69 50%
70+ 100%

Guys were dropping like flies starting at mile 70 - note guys not Ladies - hummmm

Congrats to those who finished better man than I

I was following 60-65"AG at home. The winner of that AG lost 15 minutes in the swim, 10 minutes in transitions (maybe there is something to be said for that) and gained those 25 minutes back in the mary (3:59) and narrowly won at the end. I was impressed!
Quote Reply
Re: Heat Exhaustion at Chattanooga [leeman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was one of those 60-64 males. I DNF'd at mile 78, about half-way up that climb on the south end. I'm from Alabama and train all through hot July and August weather, but that sun was brutal. I could have dealt with the cramps, but the heat was making me lightheaded, and I had no desire to pass out on the bike. It was still just mid 80's coming out of the water, but by mile 30 it turned roasty-toasty.

I'm closer to the feathered end of the spear than the point.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There were pros who bailed on the run too. The heat/ humidity/hills combined to decimate the field. I held on for a walk/ run to every aid station, then every .5 mile, then walked every hill. Didn’t think I’d be able to finish but Managed a 4hr marathon and gave me a IM pr and 2min outside podium, 4 min from a Kona slot. I though Florida last year was bad...this was worst. At least it can’t get hotter, right?
Quote Reply