Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Headphones while riding bike outside- what to buy
Quote | Reply
I used to be very old school and never wear headphones while riding outside. Since group rides pretty much disappeared with Covid last year, I caved in because of boredom and starting listening to music and podcasts while riding outside. I currently use the wired headphones that came with my iPhone and I only listen in my right ear.

I haven't had any real issues but my birthday is next month and I thought maybe a better pair is something my wife could get me.

I have Apple Air pro pods but I kind of think maybe wired is better for riding and not as risky in case they fall out also wired doesn't drain phone battery with Bluetooth? My main issue with the basic wired headphones is having to have volume so loud so you can hear over the wind. Does noise cancellation work so you don't have to have volume so loud? I really don't want to go deaf.

Any suggestions?

THANKS
Quote Reply
Re: Headphones while riding bike outside- what to buy [Greyhound] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would suggest that you not listen to anything while riding outside.
Quote Reply
Re: Headphones while riding bike outside- what to buy [Greyhound] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
if you must get headphones, get the Aftershokz.
bone conducting, they sit completely outside of your ear.
the sound quality is not great, but you hear everything that's happening around you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I swear by the Plantronics BackBeat Fit. They go over the ear and don't make a tight seal so you can still hear what's going on around you more than you could with inner ear headphones (but obviously not the same as with no headphones). I have no trouble hearing cars approach from behind me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aeropex gives you full natural earsounds, but I'll note that on the bike, the wind noise may really limit your ability to enjoy music and often make impossible listening to podcasts.

I prefer to just rider harder so I don't have to use audio entertainment! (upper zone 2 training is annoyingly uncomfortable for me)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’d suggest getting life insurance. You might need it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ride with the left bud in often, I only have the volume up enough to hear it, not like I would listening normally. Any speed and wind noise and I can't hear it, but not a big fan of shutting out the world like that
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use the bose tempo glasses and have used aftershokz in the past. I recommend also getting something like this to block the wind noise https://www.amazon.com/...00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m another in the Plantronics Backbeat Fit camp. They are secure and allow good ambient sound through. And the BT battery thing is irrelevant. BT is not a material battery drain on a modern phone. Unless you go for 20 hour rides.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Greyhound wrote:
I used to be very old school and never wear headphones while riding outside. Since group rides pretty much disappeared with Covid last year, I caved in because of boredom and starting listening to music and podcasts while riding outside. I currently use the wired headphones that came with my iPhone and I only listen in my right ear.

I haven't had any real issues but my birthday is next month and I thought maybe a better pair is something my wife could get me.

I have Apple Air pro pods but I kind of think maybe wired is better for riding and not as risky in case they fall out also wired doesn't drain phone battery with Bluetooth? My main issue with the basic wired headphones is having to have volume so loud so you can hear over the wind. Does noise cancellation work so you don't have to have volume so loud? I really don't want to go deaf.

Any suggestions?

THANKS

If you get loud wind noise when riding, active noise cancellation doesn't work, as the noise is produced and conducted by your ear lobes (Helices, Cruces, Tragii) via cartilage conduction.
Only way you can prevent this by taping up your ears, or wearing cans.

So you either turn up the volume to 11, tape the bud into your ear*, or just accept that riding without earphones is overall more pleasant and healthier.
Short and long term.
(*tape removal may result in painful epilation)
Last edited by: windschatten: Apr 19, 21 18:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Full visor motorcycle helmet with built-in sound, like those guys on Goldwings wear. Improves your chances of survival.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
aftershockz with the volume low to medium. comfortable and about as safe as you can have.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Last edited by: damon.lebeouf: Apr 20, 21 7:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know your question was asked in good faith but I agree with the others who believe headphones and bikes don’t mix. But I love listening to music when I ride. So I balance that by using a waterproof clip speaker:

JBL CLIP 3 - Waterproof Portable Bluetooth Speaker - Black https://www.amazon.com/...oding=UTF8&psc=1

I use this when I ski and bike. Absolutely bombproof and weatherproof. Good Bluetooth connection. And you maintain situational awareness and all the ambient noises to keep you safe.

Take care.
-Doug

It is the mind itself which builds the body.
-Joseph Pilates
Quote Reply
Re: Headphones while riding bike outside- what to buy [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
I’m another in the Plantronics Backbeat Fit camp. They are secure and allow good ambient sound through. And the BT battery thing is irrelevant. BT is not a material battery drain on a modern phone. Unless you go for 20 hour rides.

+3 on the backbeat fit

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Greyhound wrote:

Any suggestions?

THANKS

I've had excellent experiences with the Powerbeats Pro for cycling, among other activities. Compared to the AirPods, I preferred the much longer battery life (2x longer than AirPods when new, and the AirPods are prone to significant battery degradation) and more secure, snug fit. They don't have active noise cancellation but I find the physical isolation from the bud tip is "good enough", especially since I want to hear traffic.

Independent of that, I strongly recommend that you use something that allows for voice control via Siri or some other digital assistant so you have a hands-free experience. Sure, you'll sound like a dork but all the bike illuminati are already judging you anyway.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aftershokz aeropex. Can hear everything around you, can even have a normal conversation while listening at the same time. Sound quality is as good as my old in ear.
Quote Reply
Re: Headphones while riding bike outside- what to buy [ttusomeone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ttusomeone wrote:
I swear by the Plantronics BackBeat Fit. They go over the ear and don't make a tight seal so you can still hear what's going on around you more than you could with inner ear headphones (but obviously not the same as with no headphones). I have no trouble hearing cars approach from behind me.

Same here, they are great.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another vote for Aftershox. Bone conduction isn't great for Bach, but works fine for Shinedown.
Quote Reply
Re: Headphones while riding bike outside- what to buy [ThomD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another vote for Aftershokz. Really the only headphones I would even consider while biking, unless maybe you are on some kind of closed course. I am always surprised to see pro's riding with airpods in, seems pretty dangerous especially at the speeds they ride.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"...- what to buy"

Life insurance
Quote Reply
Re: Headphones while riding bike outside- what to buy [swissalps88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ve been using the Tayogo brand of bone conduction headphones. It’s the cheap knockoff option to Aftershoks. They’ve lasted a year and a half now, which is a world record for me and head phones. And I swim with them too. I think they are a sleeper that folks overlook when shopping. I’ve got about 1200 songs on mine, and the battery lasts about 5 hours. It’s a mile from my house, to the closed path system, where I train on my bike. I don’t turn them on, until I’m out of traffic, and on the paths.

Athlinks / Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Headphones while riding bike outside- what to buy [CanUsa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can someone buy life insurance on someone else?
Quote Reply
Re: Headphones while riding bike outside- what to buy [DougEFresh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DougEFresh wrote:
I know your question was asked in good faith but I agree with the others who believe headphones and bikes don’t mix. But I love listening to music when I ride. So I balance that by using a waterproof clip speaker:

JBL CLIP 3 - Waterproof Portable Bluetooth Speaker - Black https://www.amazon.com/...oding=UTF8&psc=1

I use this when I ski and bike. Absolutely bombproof and weatherproof. Good Bluetooth connection. And you maintain situational awareness and all the ambient noises to keep you safe.

Take care.
-Doug

+1 This.

I have a Pyle bluetooth speaker from Woot that I have strapped to my bike for bikepacking trips. Worked well enough to have a few hours of music for a few days. There are several cheap options now available, IMO.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depends how loud you want it. I mainly use headphones for some background noise, usually just some radio station, so I’m not really listening to it. I use AirPods Pro, aside from being noise cancelling, they have a setting, so that they play outside noise actively. Works fine, but do NOT set them to noise cancelling mode
Quote Reply
Re: Headphones while riding bike outside- what to buy [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In the U.S. you should never ride with an earbud in left only, as people will pass you on the left, and you wont hear them. I assume you are in Europe or a country where people pass on the right.

ChrisM wrote:
I ride with the left bud in often, I only have the volume up enough to hear it, not like I would listening normally. Any speed and wind noise and I can't hear it, but not a big fan of shutting out the world like that
Quote Reply

Prev Next