Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Headphones during IM (run), why not?
Quote | Reply
I get no headphones on the bike, but on the run, why not?

and I am not sure I believe 'safety', doesn't every marathon in the world allows you to run with music?

maybe at least one air pod?

For me it would make my experience so much better. I dont like running with music in general, but late in the IM marathon I am way sick of myself and could use some motivation.

I would think allowing it would also allow people to have that much better experience in their race or with IM's 'product.'

I am not talking pros or AG winners, just us pack fodder. Comments?
Quote Reply
Re: Headphones during IM (run), why not? [Zippy303] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No. It's hard enough for the marshals to communicate with some people. Headphones would mean that it would be harder for the marshals. An example being the bike out riders for the lead pros that need to fight their way through the runners on their first laps.

Same at aid stations as they call out what drinks are available. Ditto with armbands.

Even without anyone having headphones on then I've struggled as a ref and marshal to get the attention of athletes who are 'in the zone'.
Quote Reply
Re: Headphones during IM (run), why not? [Duncan74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok, but in IM's where there is no pro race, would this issue still be there? Seems like a great way to attracted people to the races that dont fill up and dont have pro fields.

and how many marshal's are on the run course?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zippy303 wrote:
Ok, but in IM's where there is no pro race, would this issue still be there? Seems like a great way to attracted people to the races that dont fill up and dont have pro fields.

Then for non pro race you also block people trying to KQ or PR during your shuffle jog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don;t think "no headphones on the run course" repels people from signing up for an ironman. anyway the courses are usually so well staffed and attended that I never miss having my music

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When you're trying to make good time through an aid station and the person in front of you is unwittingly blocking traffic because he's listening to Taylor Swift, you'll understand.

Aid stations in an Ironman run are far more important than they are in a plain marathon, When it's mid afternoon heat and you've already got 8 hours of wear and tear on you, people needlessly blocking traffic because they've chosen not to listen to their surroundings is not acceptable.

BUT, I don't disagree with you in theory. When I do self-supported Ironmans or whatever, hell yeah I listen to headphones the entire time. But I'm not blocking anybody else's path.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are so many people on the run course. Why not just take in the sights and sounds and enjoy the experience? Its sad when people at marathons and endurance events cant just enjoy nature, their surroundings and the company of other runners.

If you wear headphones, you are missing out on some great relational/emotional experiences you dont get during your training. There are people you can encourage, people who can encourage you... the possibilities of what you can experience are countless, but you will not experience them if you are mind-numbed from music or an audiobook.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zippy303 wrote:

The lead runners in most races, pro or not, still get a leadout bike.

Music allows for pacing, and that would be a form of external assistance.

The thing I hate most about marathons that allow headphones is the utter obliviousness of those wearing them. Especially around aid stations. It can be hard to navigate around an oblivious runner. You lose way more than just your sense of hearing when you wear headphones, you turn a significant portion of your attention to the music, and stop paying full attention to those around you. It's the same phenomenon when you turn your music in the car down when you need to concentrate to find a destination or parking spot.
Quote Reply
Re: Headphones during IM (run), why not? [g_lev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup all good comments. So what about 1 air pod?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Faaaar tooooo many d!ckheads not listening to a thing being said or niticing WTF is going on around them akready.
Don't need to make it any worse.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Couple thoughts/comments:
- I don't think headphones are allowed at all Marathons. USATF Rules leave it up to the race director Rule 144 3.(b)
- Pretty sure Challenge allows (or at one time allowed) headphones on the run. Relevant thread here
Quote Reply
Re: Headphones during IM (run), why not? [mhepp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great thanks for the link. Proves it’s possible and I assuming just as safe.
I run slow enough (4 hrs) in the marathon I am hardly passing people at light speed that I can easily maneuver around others and clearly away from those yelling out their needs.

Wish it were an option.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zippy303 wrote:

doesn't every marathon in the world allows you to run with music?

No. Really no. Substantially no. Significantly no.

Most road races in most places where I have raced do not allow headphones, for very good reasons. These reasons are only amplified (geddit?) when you're talking about IM distance triathlon.
Quote Reply
Re: Headphones during IM (run), why not? [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good news!!! Music and headphones (just not the over the ear or IN the ear) can be used for an Ironman (at least St.G 70.3).

Kind of a nice change!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Headphones/music = phones = selfies and staring at phones and trying to operate them while being mentally incapacitated with sweaty fingers in the sun. All IMs have loop courses so at some point you’ll have to make your way through hundreds of M-athletes... oh boy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was sent to the ER once as I tried to run past a slow jogger in a race who had headphones on and made a sudden/strange left move just as I was trying to run past. She (a very large individual) knocked me off balance and I crashed into a tree. Had to have a scan on my brain as I bashed it in so hard. None of my yelling ever made it to her ears and because of the headphones, I ended up with a severe concussion for no good reason.

Jack

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Re: Headphones during IM (run), why not? [CPT Chaos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CPT Chaos wrote:
I was sent to the ER once as I tried to run past a slow jogger in a race who had headphones on and made a sudden/strange left move just as I was trying to run past. She (a very large individual) knocked me off balance and I crashed into a tree. Had to have a scan on my brain as I bashed it in so hard. None of my yelling ever made it to her ears and because of the headphones, I ended up with a severe concussion for no good reason.

Jack

Years ago, I was running on the side of a busy road with very little shoulder. Rarely do I see runners there as it is not really a good place to run........

Regardless, I was running much faster than this person and as I approached, I communicated my usual, "coming up behind you." No response but no big deal. He was kind of hugging the white line so I went left of him, in the dirt on the side of the road. As I came up next to him in to his visual field, he became aware of me for the first time (because he was wearing headphones), just about shat himself, and jumped straight in to oncoming traffic, narrowly missing becoming the hood ornament of a pick-up truck.

I felt bad but could not stop laughing for the rest of my run. I may be a sociopath but it was really funny (since he didn't die).

Sorry for the thread hijack but it was fun reliving that.

More thread specific; even in my around-town runs, I don't love the headphone people who can't hear me coming and therefore don't move out of the way. It can be quite aggravating and occasionally dangerous, and that is with just two random people on a sidewalk.

----------------------------
Jason
None of the secrets of success will work unless you do.
Quote Reply
Re: Headphones during IM (run), why not? [Culley22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just looked and the rules for Ironman Texas say the same thing as St. George. Does this mean you can wear a bone conducting headphone? Or what options would there be for headphones that don’t go in your ears?

Culley22 wrote:
Good news!!! Music and headphones (just not the over the ear or IN the ear) can be used for an Ironman (at least St.G 70.3).

Kind of a nice change!
Quote Reply
Re: Headphones during IM (run), why not? [Petrus101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bone induction could be a nice solution to all the issues stated above and aren’t they a IM sponsor or some relationship?

I would not take a phone but use my watch.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Petrus101 wrote:
I just looked and the rules for Ironman Texas say the same thing as St. George. Does this mean you can wear a bone conducting headphone? Or what options would there be for headphones that don’t go in your ears?

Culley22 wrote:

Kind of a nice change!
That's how I read it. BUT don't use the phone. It does mention using the phone for listening to music as one of the "distractive" ways.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
g_lev wrote:
Zippy303 wrote:

The lead runners in most races, pro or not, still get a leadout bike.

Music allows for pacing, and that would be a form of external assistance.

The thing I hate most about marathons that allow headphones is the utter obliviousness of those wearing them. Especially around aid stations. It can be hard to navigate around an oblivious runner. You lose way more than just your sense of hearing when you wear headphones, you turn a significant portion of your attention to the music, and stop paying full attention to those around you. It's the same phenomenon when you turn your music in the car down when you need to concentrate to find a destination or parking spot.

Do you really turn the music down to park?! =)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My take on all this is - buck up. The race does not exist to make the racer's life as comfortable as possible. If one is not mentally tough enough to survive one day, or at least the length of time needed for the athlete to complete the race distance, without listening to some device /music/whatever, then seriously: don't show up.

It's supposed to be a physical, mental, emotional challenge / journey. For heck sake, harden up!

(I know g_lev does not need my prompting)

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Last edited by: Tsunami: Apr 25, 19 4:04
Quote Reply
Re: Headphones during IM (run), why not? [Culley22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Culley22 wrote:
Petrus101 wrote:

Culley22 wrote:

Kind of a nice change!

That's how I read it. BUT don't use the phone. It does mention using the phone for listening to music as one of the "distractive" ways.

Not seeing where you see that it is ok. I see the opposite

) Headsets or headphones are prohibited during the run segment of the Race. (1:00 Minute Penalty, DSQ if not remedied promptly) (b) Athletes may not use communication devices of any type, including but not limited to twoway radios, cell phones, smart watches, smart helmets (i.e., helmets enabled with Bluetooth® technology), in any distractive manner during the Race. A “distractive manner” includes but is not limited to making and receiving phone calls, sending and receiving text messages, playing music, using social media, and taking photographs. Using a communication device in a distractive manner during the Race will result in disqualification; and (c) Cameras, phone cameras,

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Headphones during IM (run), why not? [mvenneta] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mvenneta wrote:
Do you really turn the music down to park?! =)

Eh, sorta? I adjust the volume of my radio to match ambient noise and happenings. Fast speed = more road noise = my radio is louder. Window open / sunroof open = volume up. Slower speed, navigating places where pedestrians might be = lower radio volume. Why? To maintain ability to hear outside noises.

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Petrus101 wrote:

What part of the rules are you reading that would indicate you can use headphones? I'm not seeing it when I look at them.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply

Prev Next