Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Heading to Tahoe for a long weekend of riding!
Quote | Reply
Anyone have any good routes? I've spent a bunch of time with Google and found some routes, but I was hoping someone has some Garmin files so I can get a turn-by-turn!

If not, how about some solid suggestions of routes you've done that you liked?
Quote Reply
Re: Heading to Tahoe for a long weekend of riding! [10-4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was in Tahoe in early june for a short training trip. How far are you planning in riding per day? How much climbing?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ride around the lake (leave very early in the am, go clockwise.

The "Triangle" - Tahoe City to Truckee to Kings Beach to Tahoe City.

Blackwood Canyon - my fav ride up there. About 45 min of climbing on a dead-end road. Awesome.

Old Hwy 40 from Truckee.
Quote Reply
Re: Heading to Tahoe for a long weekend of riding! [slorunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I was in Tahoe in early june for a short training trip. How far are you planning in riding per day? How much climbing?

I'm planning on roughly 2-3 hrs Thursday, big ride Friday (4-5 hours), something short and sweet Sat (2-ish hours) maybe more if it's awesome.

One trip will be around the lake, I assume Friday. I say the Truckee Triangle, and was thinking that looked great as well.

My preference would be more climbing vs. less if possible. I'm not a great climber so I'm ready to beat myself into submission.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the loop around the lake is nice with a few good climbs. I made the trip around the lake twice when i was out there, counterclockwise both times. If you really want a lot of climbing, ride Kingsbury grade east over the pass then head north for a bit, then ride highway 50 back west toward the lake.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Add in Blackwood Canyon on your way down the West Shore, between Sunnyside and Homewood. Just looked at the file and it's a 7-mile climb with ~1500 elevation gain, almost no cars. It's 30 minutes going fast, 40 slow, starting pretty mellow for 10 minutes and then averaging 6% for the rest. Not steep, but a really nice rhythm climb especially at the altitude.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
from s lake tahoe to kirkwood ski resort. two 1500 ft climbs over Luther and Carson pass = about 30 miles depending on your start. return involves climbing the back side of luther.
I would also recommend a trip to Markleville to tackle some of the passes in the "Death Ride" front of Moniter and both sides of Ebetts are good. Hit Grovers hot springs when finished.
Quote Reply
Re: Heading to Tahoe for a long weekend of riding! [amattice] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome suggestions!

Any roads other than obvious highways I need to avoid?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was up there riding last month. Be very careful riding around that lake if by yourself. There is a crazy amount of traffic and lots of tourists looking at the scenery and not the road. Frankly if given the choice, I think I would only do that ride very early in the morning...maybe on a Sunday. If you want to get in some nice open water swimming, check out Sand Harbor state park just south of Income Villiage. Very nice beach...especially if you have kids.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Keep it simple man, do the loop around the lake. Start early at the Beacon Restaurant over by Emerald Cove, get the sketchy (but beautiful) climb up around Emerald Cove done first. Stop to refuel with some food and a beer at one of the bagel places or cafes in Tahoe City. If you want to really push the ride (100+ mi) take 89 up to Truckee. It looks like a easy ride to Truckee because its a long gradual downhill into town. Don't get too excited though, you've got a nice 2000 foot climb out of town to head back down to the lake. Depending on whether or not you take the Truckee spur, stop in Incline Village for the last fuel up before the climb to Spooner Lake and Spooner Pass. It's a pretty smooth ride down from the top of Spooner, just watch out for the rollers once you get to Zephyr Cove. Finish back up at the Beacon for the best food and drinks on the lake. I highly recommend the Bloody Mary and the calamari. One time we got a group of about 15 riders in a little peloton. We left at around 6 to avoid the traffic in the tight spots and it was one of the best rides I've ever been on.

------------------------
Tri Authenticiy
"Trial of Miles; Miles of Trials. How could he make them understand?"--John L. Parker, Once a Runner
Quote Reply