Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Head position when running fast
Quote | Reply
For some reason, when I run shorter distances at top speed (ie. open 5km or 10km races) i tend to tilt my head skyward during the last half of the race as i'm trying to hold my pace. I realize that this is something that many people do to some extent but it seems for me it's pronounced...to the point where people are pointing it out.

For some reason i have trouble avoiding this. During my last 10ki tried to level my head but it feels like its affecting my pace when i do so - something about my breath, so i gave up. Anyway, i'm wondering if

(a) there's a good reason that this happens - ie. weak muscles, genetic, running beyond my limit, etc.
(b) if there's anything i can do to fix it, and
(c) if it's having an impact on my time.

On average i'm about 38min for a 10k.

This seems like a troll post because it's so ridiculous but something that i've thought about asking for a while.

Thoughts? Does anyone do this or see this?

BQ
Quote Reply
Re: Head position when running fast [blueQuintana] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it’s fairly common. You see it at a lot of high school track and cross country races as kids are running down the homestretch and almost out of gas. Not sure the reason why

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Head position when running fast [blueQuintana] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ever see Chariots of Fire? The Eric Liddell character would do this when he got up to speed.
Personally, I used to do this when I was a faster runner, and was trying to get more air down m windpipe as I was nearing the edge of full exertion. Now that I'm a slower runner, I don't do it anymore.....but I'd rather be fast with my head tilted back than slower with "good form".
Quote Reply