Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Head Position
Quote | Reply
In freestyle, when my head is tugged to my chin looking down, my head is below water; hence there is a bit of waiting for my head to get parallel to the water when breathing. When I have the water break my forehead to create a bow wave (text book), my legs sink a bit and I can feel the drag. It seems like there is no winning formula.

I would love to hear your good advice. Thank you in advance.
Quote Reply
Re: Head Position [Kettlebell62] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm my experience when adult men have the water break on the forehead their legs sink like you. Meaning the need to lift more when they breathe causing more sinking.
My 2c is to keep your head and neck neutral and rotate a little more when breathing. A little over rotation is more efficient than lifting. If you aren't getting enough air you can turn your head earlier in the pull and use the body roll to rotate your head.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Saw this today and thought of this post, about a minute in

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Head Position [bluntandy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree with this.

I am a swimming coach (mostly Youth)...we always start with having the swimmers stand up straight in the pool and look straight ahead. That's the "go to" beginning head position. Some wind up a little higher ...some a little lower. But the "neutral" position is a great go to...and one that I always return to when focusing on technique myself in training.
Quote Reply
Re: Head Position [bluntandy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bluntandy wrote:
I'm my experience when adult men have the water break on the forehead their legs sink like you. Meaning the need to lift more when they breathe causing more sinking.
My 2c is to keep your head and neck neutral and rotate a little more when breathing. A little over rotation is more efficient than lifting. If you aren't getting enough air you can turn your head earlier in the pull and use the body roll to rotate your head.

The only way that a higher head position noticeably sinks your legs is if you push down on the water with your arms to do so. If you correctly just use your neck/back muscles to keep your head up, the effect on your legs would be marginal at most (like lowering your entire body by less than an inch?). I'll claim that raising your head in this manner will *raise* your feet, not sink them.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll just add as a non-swim expert, that while I def subscribe to the head-down position for pool swimming, I've found that I definitely have to be comfortable as well with swimming with my head with that forward-tilt position where the water is more on your forehead as well, to be prepared for most efficient sighting in OWS with a wetsuit. It takes a more head rotation to sight when your head is straight down - seems trivial but it isn't, and when you're wearing a wetsuit, you have a lot more opportunity to keep your head higher since the wetsuit really keeps your legs up. It really does make sighting faster and more efficient in that position, at least for me, so I do practice it in the pool as well regularly. (For me the head forward position doesn't seem to penalize me speedwise, but it's less comfortable and natural without the wetsuit.)
Quote Reply