Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hayden Wilde 13:21 5k
Quote | Reply
Hayden Wilde has been doing some very impressive running the past few months, after a 13:47 on the track and beating NZ 5000m record holder Baxter in a tactical 5000m.
Now according to this article he ran a 13:21 5k on a 1200m loop.
I know he is training with the Robertsons now so definitely training with some real talent, but 13:21 is insanely fast! Certainly seems he could qualify for the Olympics and commonwealth games in 5 and 10000 as well.
https://athletics.org.nz/born-to-be-wilde/

Terrible Tuesday’s Triathlon
Quote Reply
Re: Hayden Wilde 13:21 5k [oscaro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don’t know what the elevation was like on either course, but Ingebrigtsen the younger ran a Norwegian record at 13:28 and that seems to be a big deal. He had a huge negative split so he might’ve run faster but it’s still slower than Wilde. I’m not a huge running expert, but Jakob is an Olympic medal hopeful so Hayden qualifying for the 5000 seems at least reasonable.

Dan Mayberry
Amateur a lot of things, professional a few things.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is amazingly fast for someone who's been doing triathlon for a while. In the article he said he bikes 20+ hours a week - I wonder if he's still maintaining that bike volume.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: Hayden Wilde 13:21 5k [drm437] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe it was dead flat, however Jakob was not even close to full out for the most part. First 3k was 8:25 (2:48/k) and final 2k was 5:04 (2:32/k) with a 70s last 500m. Jakob could quite easily run 13-low or even sub 13.
However I don't think Hayden's course was certified, in which case the exact time is hard to know. Hope we see him on the track soon!

Terrible Tuesday’s Triathlon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's an elite level performance for a runner. If this is correct, he might be in a league of his own among ITU guys, as a reference, Schoeman, recently did a 5k test on the track and ran about 14:10.
Quote Reply
Re: Hayden Wilde 13:21 5k [Engner66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Engner66 wrote:
That's an elite level performance for a runner. If this is correct, he might be in a league of his own among ITU guys, as a reference, Schoeman, recently did a 5k test on the track and ran about 14:10.

Richard Murray also just recently did a road 13:37. Not too far off

Dominic Pollizzi

Quote Reply
Re: Hayden Wilde 13:21 5k [drm437] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
drm437 wrote:
I don’t know what the elevation was like on either course,.

99.99% sure that it was laps of the 'loop' version of this https://www.strava.com/segments/10961808 So pan flat (although as implied in the article often subject to winds off the water). He's training with some serious running talent which clearly helps for sessions like this. FWIW I do a lot of my running along that harbour path, and at no time has the course resulted in me doing anything that approximated a 2:40. Even with a tail wind.
Quote Reply
Re: Hayden Wilde 13:21 5k [zestypollizzi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
how are these guys running faster than track times? o yea ... *looks at shoes*
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hayden just ran a 3000m PB ~7:59 helping out a training partner home from US college for COVID. Training partner set NZ U20 record ~7:57.

Vid: https://www.instagram.com/...?igshid=1qmmpej2q50i

Richard Murray doing it on the roads:

Kristian Blummenfelt doing one a few months back:

https://www.strava.com/athletes/nbrowne1
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jonny Brownlee this weekend did a 13.46 (pb)

Alex Yee in same race posted a 13.26 (he and the winner broke the British record)
Quote Reply
Re: Hayden Wilde 13:21 5k [matttomlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What’s waaaaay more impressive is that in that same race Tom Evans did a PB of 13.41.

For those who don’t recognise the name, he’s ex military who been ultra running Ultras for a few years.

Fastest non American ever in western states on his first attempt, and broke the 100k course record at Ultra trail Tarawera in NZ earlier this year.

And at his first attempt at a fast 5k he throws that down.

Wow.
Quote Reply
Re: Hayden Wilde 13:21 5k [matttomlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mo Farah has the British record of 12:53.
Quote Reply
Re: Hayden Wilde 13:21 5k [mag900] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thats the 5000m record not 5km road
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you think that’s fast, you should see the IM VR18 leaderboard where 50 years old can rip 13:30 5ks off the bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So acording to these times is Wilde now faster than Yee? (Who I thought was the fastest runner in ITU by a distance)
Quote Reply
Re: Hayden Wilde 13:21 5k [Jackets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep, but no.. Yee must have been an accurately measured IAAF accredited course for someone to make a national record, Wylde was measured and timed by whom??
If it is accurate and he is now faster I can only say he has been on some good juice while in lockdown in NZ.
Quote Reply
Re: Hayden Wilde 13:21 5k [chrisb12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chrisb12 wrote:
Yep, but no.. Yee must have been an accurately measured IAAF accredited course for someone to make a national record, Wylde was measured and timed by whom??
If it is accurate and he is now faster I can only say he has been on some good juice while in lockdown in NZ.

Or perhaps he is actually faster.

Wild is Alistair Brownlee part 2 when it comes to his racing style if you ask me. Ie aggressive. He just needs to get more of a consistent swim.
Quote Reply
Re: Hayden Wilde 13:21 5k [fulla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That speed is actually ridiculously fast, very few ppl can run that fast, and those that can are normally showing that potential at a young age, not just after pandemic lockdown. When you run a sub 14 you don't just knock off close to 30 seconds in a couple of months. At that level improvements are hard to come by and not so huge jumps. It wasn't recorded at a proper race but a do the distance send in your times type of thing also.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hayden ran a 7'59" 3000m on the track a week or two back, which equates to the speed of a 13'20" 5000m, so I think it's safe to say that he's not running quite that quick right now - probably more like 13'45". That said, it's also mid winter in NZ, so he's not likely to be doing much speedwork so could well be around that pace next time racing happens!
Quote Reply
Re: Hayden Wilde 13:21 5k [Jackets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mola also ran an 8:06 on a 3,000 m track race. Murray's sub 8 on the same distance was insane, but had some pacing assistance.

On a separate note, Murray also did a bunch of descending 400 m swimming tests (50 m pool it seemed?), I think the last one was 4:50..I found this a bit "slow" for ITU guys ?
Quote Reply
Re: Hayden Wilde 13:21 5k [Engner66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On a separate note, Murray also did a bunch of descending 400 m swimming tests (50 m pool it seemed?), I think the last one was 4:50..I found this a bit "slow" for ITU guys ? //

It's just a set, and not that bad for a 2nd pack guy, which he is. He is probably the worst ITU swimmer who consistently gets on the podium. Mola is usually with him out of the water, but every once in awhile he bridges up to the very tail end of the front pack, so just a tad bit faster in the races. Murray shows what the bare minimum in speed is to be successful, provided you can ride like a MF'er and outrun everyone..
Quote Reply
Re: Hayden Wilde 13:21 5k [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One thing that we should all consider when assessing these recent run times, is that Next Gen Road shoes are now illegal in the track races (Max foam 25mm). Over 5km these were worth approximately 15secs over spikes.

I tend not to trust some of times being posted unless it's on a Track or on a road race on an accredited course.

I believe Wilde ran 13:40ish on the track at the beginning of lockdown, but most likely in next gen shoes, so more like 13:50 in spikes.
Quote Reply
Re: Hayden Wilde 13:21 5k [Adman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Adman wrote:
One thing that we should all consider when assessing these recent run times, is that Next Gen Road shoes are now illegal in the track races (Max foam 25mm). Over 5km these were worth approximately 15secs over spikes.

I tend not to trust some of times being posted unless it's on a Track or on a road race on an accredited course.

I believe Wilde ran 13:40ish on the track at the beginning of lockdown, but most likely in next gen shoes, so more like 13:50 in spikes.

13.47.37 was his time. not sure of shoes, didn't appear to be a big stack, but were Nike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chrisb12 wrote:
Adman wrote:

13.47.37 was his time. not sure of shoes, didn't appear to be a big stack, but were Nike.

Yeh you are right he was wearing zoom victory spikes. So legit in my mind. No super shoes and accurate distance because on track.

Richard Murray's times however......
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hayden Wilde, 2020 NZ Champ in both 5000m and Cross Country, now going to chase the NZ 1hr track record of 20,190m: https://www.instagram.com/...rce=ig_web_copy_link

Also, don't be a dick Chris... Just because someone runs fast doesn't mean they're doping!

chrisb12 wrote:

https://www.strava.com/athletes/nbrowne1
Last edited by: nbrowne1: Oct 1, 20 10:19
Quote Reply