Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hawaii 70.3 Kona Slot Allocation
Quote | Reply
Can someone post the Kona slot allocation from Hawaii 70.3? It looks like there were 24 slots.
Quote Reply
Re: Hawaii 70.3 Kona Slot Allocation [writhe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
writhe wrote:
Can someone post the Kona slot allocation from Hawaii 70.3? It looks like there were 24 slots.

I don't think you'll find a printed list. Sportstats timed this race so they may have the info somewhere, but I doubt it was posted at the event.

The awards at Honu don't start until 4pm so there is a long wait to that point. Slot allocations and rolldowns start after the awards and they had 30 70.3 WC slots to hand out too. I think these were going to go first, but we were flying out the next morning and didn't stay for the slots/rolldowns.

There were 24 age group Kona slots available plus 24 more for Hawaiian resident age group competitors. This is in addition to the 20 HI resident lottery slots previously awarded (numerous recipients used Honu 70.3 to validate these slots). We hadn't heard about the HI resident slots until after the race. My wife was in an AG where 1st and 2nd had a slot already, 3rd wasn't interested, 4th won the HI resident slot as 1st HI finisher so Kona slot rolled to 5th place. Great example of why you should always attend the awards/rolldown if looking for a WC slot!

I recognized a couple HI residents winning male AG's so that probably gave a non-resident slot to 2nd place unless they awarded non-resident slots to HI residents that were AG winners. With starters in the first 12 AG's for each gender except F75-79 it looks like 1 slot per AG for non-resident slots. Not sure if that F75-79 goes to M80-84 which had a starter that DNF'd and then would be reallocated to M45-49 or if it would have to be reallocated on female side where it would go to F45-49?
Quote Reply
Re: Hawaii 70.3 Kona Slot Allocation [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SummitAK wrote:
writhe wrote:
I recognized a couple HI residents winning male AG's so that probably gave a non-resident slot to 2nd place unless they awarded non-resident slots to HI residents that were AG winners.

Hawaii residents had to choose at registration whether they were competing for a Hawaii resident slot or for a regular AG slot.
Quote Reply
Re: Hawaii 70.3 Kona Slot Allocation [craigj532] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
craigj532 wrote:
SummitAK wrote:
writhe wrote:
I recognized a couple HI residents winning male AG's so that probably gave a non-resident slot to 2nd place unless they awarded non-resident slots to HI residents that were AG winners.

Hawaii residents had to choose at registration whether they were competing for a Hawaii resident slot or for a regular AG slot.

K. I know that was what WTC used to do when diviing up slots between regular AG, HI resident and Big Island resident slots when Honu was the HI resident qualifying race for Kona prior to HI resident lottery.
Quote Reply
Re: Hawaii 70.3 Kona Slot Allocation [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was walking away from the late awards. I'm nearly to my room, when I hear Mike R say there were no finishers in the 80-84 men, so they are allocating to 50-54. Huh, I'm thinking, that's my AG. So I slowly turn back, sore as crap, and head to the tent just to see who will have the surprise of their life and get the slot. Always fun to see the fireworks. As I get closer to the tent, I hear them announce the 2nd place finisher (first took the only originally allocated slot of course) and they call his name three times. Nothing. Next, they roll down to my friend Scott who took third. He didn't want it. Wow, this is getting interesting I'm thinking. Surely the 4th place or even the 5th place dude is gonna have his world rocked in the next few minutes. Names called, once, twice and three times as they are supposed to be. Nothing. Now I am kind of freaking out inside. You have got to be kidding. Here I am sitting in 7th place, never a thought I would ever return to the big show ever again. I start the dialog with myself. What if, what to do, what do I say to my family? But, hopefully, I won't have to do anything, because surely 6th is waiting oh so patiently to jump up and have his dreams come true. His name is called, once, a pause, twice, a longer pause. A third time. Nothing. Holy shit. This is really freaking happening. My friends, who where three and four beers into the ceremony, start to chant my name. I'm like what the "f" . Reilly calls my name. My god, I'm going to Kona.
Lesson here- and they always say it at the awards: IF you want to go, always, always stick around to the bitter end. Thanks to my family and friends who where there to experience this awesome 70.3 and although this may sound trite, it really is true, and especially for this washed up old guy : "Anything is possible."
Last edited by: diguiseppl: Jun 7, 18 11:04
Quote Reply
Re: Hawaii 70.3 Kona Slot Allocation [diguiseppl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice, bet #8 wishes he went 16 seconds faster!
Quote Reply
Re: Hawaii 70.3 Kona Slot Allocation [pots4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know, right? I've been in his shoes too many times to count.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cool story!
Hmm, I was ninth in 60-64?

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Which 70.3 races still have slots for the Kona Championships?

They only have about 4 races don't they? (as they got rid of the St. Croix slots a few years back)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is awesome, great story telling too, put a smile on my face. Congrats!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats man, cool story!! Enjoy the race.
Quote Reply
Re: Hawaii 70.3 Kona Slot Allocation [Twinkie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Twinkie wrote:

They only have about 4 races don't they? (as they got rid of the St. Croix slots a few years back)

70.3 Hawaii hasn't had Kona slots for the last several years. They had them this year as a special thing because it was the fifteenth anniversary of the race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cool story.

Have a blast in Oct.

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
diguiseppl wrote:
I was walking away from the late awards. I'm nearly to my room, when I hear Mike R say there were no finishers in the 80-84 men, so they are allocating to 50-54. Huh, I'm thinking, that's my AG. So I slowly turn back, sore as crap, and head to the tent just to see who will have the surprise of their life and get the slot. Always fun to see the fireworks. As I get closer to the tent, I hear them announce the 2nd place finisher (first took the only originally allocated slot of course) and they call his name three times. Nothing. Next, they roll down to my friend Scott who took third. He didn't want it. Wow, this is getting interesting I'm thinking. Surely the 4th place or even the 5th place dude is gonna have his world rocked in the next few minutes. Names called, once, twice and three times as they are supposed to be. Nothing. Now I am kind of freaking out inside. You have got to be kidding. Here I am sitting in 7th place, never a thought I would ever return to the big show ever again. I start the dialog with myself. What if, what to do, what do I say to my family? But, hopefully, I won't have to do anything, because surely 6th is waiting oh so patiently to jump up and have his dreams come true. His name is called, once, a pause, twice, a longer pause. A third time. Nothing. Holy shit. This is really freaking happening. My friends, who where three and four beers into the ceremony, start to chant my name. I'm like what the "f" . Reilly calls my name. My god, I'm going to Kona.
Lesson here- and they always say it at the awards: IF you want to go, always, always stick around to the bitter end. Thanks to my family and friends who where there to experience this awesome 70.3 and although this may sound trite, it really is true, and especially for this washed up old guy : "Anything is possible."

Congratulations!! This happened to me in NZ a number of years ago. I feel you on the freaking out inside.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Hawaii 70.3 Kona Slot Allocation [Twinkie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Twinkie wrote:

For 2018, it was IRONMAN 70.3 Hefei, Xiamen, Chonqing and Hawaii. Surprised they don't give out any at 70.3 worlds to be honest.

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Re: Hawaii 70.3 Kona Slot Allocation [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Congratulations!! This happened to me in NZ a number of years ago. I feel you on the freaking out inside.[/quote]============================================
…and i was there to see and hear it…..and cheer like a madwoman. it was just a great moment.
peggy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lou! Who was having 4 beers without me at the award ceremony?
Quote Reply
Re: Hawaii 70.3 Kona Slot Allocation [wmcc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wmcc wrote:
Lou! Who was having 4 beers without me at the award ceremony?

ya F those guys. Who does that! bad form haha
Last edited by: Twinkie: Jun 7, 18 13:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations, that was a great story. You won a -$10,000 dollar family trip to Hawaii, one that usually costs $4k!!! (-;

I'm sure it was bittersweet at the time, but guys in your position have to take those rare roll downs when they happen, then rearrange you life afterwards for the next year..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats on the rolldown! That must have been a fantastic feeling.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats! This is a great story!

I am in your AG and last year finished about where you did. I'm not in as good of shape this year and the run conditions destroyed me. Last year 5th - 8th were separated by only 36 seconds total.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hope that vog in Kona is gone by October. Man, that was ugly!
Congrats!

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Big congrats, Lou - couldn't happen to a nicer guy!

Ian
Quote Reply
Re: Hawaii 70.3 Kona Slot Allocation [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironclm wrote:
diguiseppl wrote:

Congratulations!! This happened to me in NZ a number of years ago. I feel you on the freaking out inside.

Cathy I was there that day. Was awesome watching. P

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone for the kind words! All you nice guys and gals out there make the sport so awesome for me, and the reason I still hang on and "participate!" Hope to meet all of you someday!

Lou D
Quote Reply