Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Have you tried Next % Tempo?
Quote | Reply
As the previous thread on these shoes were all about the price, I thought I'd start a new one to get peoples thoughts on how this shoe actually runs.

I had my first run in them now. Some background - I have never tried any of Nikes 4% shoes (neither Vaporfly / Next % or Alphafly), as I have never got a hold of a pair. Wanted to try the Next % Tempos.

So far only 1 run, and my initial feeling was they feel really "cluncky". To start with they didnt feel smooth at all, and my gait felt kinda strange. Part of this I accredit to the fact that they are very wide on the forefoot. I tend to land abit on the outside of my forefeet, which feels strange wigh a pretty wide, stiff sole on the forefoot of the Tempos. The shoes also give quite a "stiff/Firm" ride, and are not as plush as some every-day trainers are (I dont think these are everyday trainers, though). One strange this was that my speed was noticably higher in these shows than my normal trainers. For the same effort (PE and HR) it almost felt as these shoes were 15 sec faster pr km (!). Im no speedy runner, and my everyday easy pace is around 5:00. When running in the tempos, my slow run was a steady 4:40-4:45, at same HR I usually hold during 5:00-runs. Hard to peg all this on the shoe, I figure, especially after just 1 run.

I did one fast Km just to try (or semi-fast - did a km a tad over 4/km. The felt much better for running fast than slogging away - this was probably the easiest sub 4:10 km I feel I have run.

In summary a really strange shoe - for me. It didnt really fell very smooth or fluid to run in, but at the same time the felt really fast! I also liked the good cushion under the forefoot. I often find shoes to have too much cushion in the heel, and too litle in the forefoot, so this was good or my toeballs:)
Quote Reply
Re: Have you tried Next % Tempo? [lovegoat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did your legs feel any more fresh after your run, compared to your other shoes?
That is what I love about the Next%'s. The added speed is nice too, but its really how they leave my legs feeling that is special.
I was considering trying the new Tempo's, but they are still expensive (about 20% less than the Next% here in Canada, so $260 + tax), and a lot of the youtube reviews on them seem to be pretty negative, similar to what you describe, clunky.
Nike has free returns, so possible I might order a pair and try them for a few minutes on a treadmill....
Quote Reply
Re: Have you tried Next % Tempo? [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
Did your legs feel any more fresh after your run, compared to your other shoes?
That is what I love about the Next%'s. The added speed is nice too, but its really how they leave my legs feeling that is special.
I was considering trying the new Tempo's, but they are still expensive (about 20% less than the Next% here in Canada, so $260 + tax), and a lot of the youtube reviews on them seem to be pretty negative, similar to what you describe, clunky.
Nike has free returns, so possible I might order a pair and try them for a few minutes on a treadmill....

Probably a bit early to say. My legs did feel quite fresh/fine post-run, but that should be expected given it was short and easy. A real test would be to take them for a progressive long-run with a fast finish. Planning to try that out in the next couple of days. I'll let you know.

I should also add that I find most you-tube reviews of the shoe pretty much in line with my own experience so far. But - as said - at higher speeds the feeling was aLOT better than slow running. As posters on Letsrun.com would say - its probably not a "jogging-shoe" but a "running-shoe" :) If your pace on easy-runs is 4:15 and faster, this is a great shoe for everyday running. I am exited to see how the shoe is after i put some miles on it. Based on todays short run they might "soften up" abit and not feel as cluncky once you get used to them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I received a pair as well - will try it over this week end with a long run including a mix of aerobic and tempo pace and will report back here!

Quite a lot of negative comments so far with those indeed - glad that Nike has a free return policy as I might just send them back if I agree with all the comments indeed!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
These are "Frankenstein" shoes.

Nike took the best parts of some previous shoes and put them together to make a daily trainer and cost $200 US. The reviews have ranged from good to bad. You can't compare them to the Vaporfly or Alphafly and they are expensive for a trainer...............but.............if your legs feel good the next day after a hard run and recovery is faster they may be worth the cash.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All the shoe reviewers I trust have said it’s no good.....and expensive. Not sure what Nike was going for with this shoe.
Quote Reply
Re: Have you tried Next % Tempo? [Parkland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Parkland wrote:
All the shoe reviewers I trust have said it’s no good.....and expensive. Not sure what Nike was going for with this shoe.

Not sure how good they are but too expensive for sure. I rather buy two pairs of $100 Hokas for training.
Quote Reply
Re: Have you tried Next % Tempo? [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've had these shoes for a few months now (approximately 200-300 miles) and have the following thoughts:

The shoe is a fantastic daily trainer. Although many don't like how it looks with the bubbles in the front, I really don't care what a shoe looks like as long as it performs. The bubbles allow the foam to not get compressed in that area, or feel like it. As the cushion is a bag of air which unless the sides stretch out or the bubble obtains a puncture it will continually feel good.

Many are buying this shoe expecting it to be like the Vaporfly or Alphafly, and that's just incorrect/wrong. The point of the shoe is to log a ton of miles, NOT be a racing shoe.

Does it feel a bit more clunky than it's racing counterparts VF/AF, YES! As it should. Would I expect it to feel "fast" or be a racing shoe? NO. To suggest it should is like trying to argue one should race an ironman while riding a beach cruiser. The shoe does have a nylon plate in it to provide support for the larger stack and give a foundation for the bubbles to adhere to.

Is it worth $200? That's for each individual to determine. Typically I "retire" shoes at 300-350 miles, and I don't see that with this shoe at all. I see this closer to a 600ish mile shoe. (then again I have 600+ miles on an original pair of vaporfly 4% and they continue to be great for training shoes).

As far as the reviewers are concerned. Every shoe won't work for everyone. As an example of that: I absolutely hate the Saucony Endorphin Pro. They completely missed the mark with that shoe, and to compare it to the vaporfly is an incredible insult to the vaporfly. But many people seem to enjoy it. But anyone that asks me, I would relay that same information on that shoe.

I would suggest trying the Tempo when it does get released if curious. Nike does have a 30 day return policy so if you don't happen to like it, just return it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was hoping this would be a perfect replacement for the discontinued Peg Turbo2. I seriously wanted to love this shoe and no, I didnt expect it to feel like an AlphaFly. The Tempo Next% feels way too firm and far too heavy to be an adequate replacement. It's also noisy AF.

I'll be stocking up on my fav Pebax trainers: Peg Turbo 2 & Endoprhin Speed

Toro Performance
Quote Reply
Re: Have you tried Next % Tempo? [jlentzke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have they discontinued the Pegasus Turbo altogether or just the Turbo 2 (i.e. because the Turbo 3 is coming...?)
Quote Reply
Re: Have you tried Next % Tempo? [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As far as I know, the peg turbo is no more. But, I hope they bring it back based on customer feedback

Toro Performance
Quote Reply
Re: Have you tried Next % Tempo? [jlentzke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Frickin' Nike. Story of the last 35 years of my running: Every few years they manage to hit upon a shoe I love shortly after I discover it, they discontinue it.
Quote Reply
Re: Have you tried Next % Tempo? [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wft? I'm with you. I use the Peg Turbo as my trainer and love it. I liked the 4% as feels a similar shoe but at speed next level, the next I found meh and now I can't buy either shoe I like.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 tempo running shoes is not for professional runners, the shape of their outsole is in a strange angle and cause heel on the ground running form which is harming to knees. Actually, it's a brand for amateurs runners.
maybe you can try Vibram running shoes, A pro-running shoes will cultivate a right running form of runners.
Quote Reply
Re: Have you tried Next % Tempo? [kane8907] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kane8907 wrote:
tempo running shoes is not for professional runners, the shape of their outsole is in a strange angle and cause heel on the ground running form which is harming to knees. Actually, it's a brand for amateurs runners.
maybe you can try Vibram running shoes, A pro-running shoes will cultivate a right running form of runners.

I'm actually training in a pair of Next%'s lately. Its the first shoe in forever that doesn't leave my legs feeling beat up. Expensive but worth it for me. Plus I seem to be getting a lot of km's out of them. I'm probably up to at least 400-500km on my current/first pair, and they still feel better to run in than my other shoes, which are Saucony Endorphins and New Balance Beacons.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
kane8907 wrote:

I'm actually training in a pair of Next%'s lately. Its the first shoe in forever that doesn't leave my legs feeling beat up. Expensive but worth it for me. Plus I seem to be getting a lot of km's out of them. I'm probably up to at least 400-500km on my current/first pair, and they still feel better to run in than my other shoes, which are Saucony Endorphins and New Balance Beacons.

I take it youre talking about the Vaporfly Next %, not the Tempo Next % ?

As said I have never run in the Vaporlfy-models (nor the alphafly), but only the Next % tempo. From my understanding the Vaporfly-models have quite a different ride than the tempo (and --not as wide a forefoot / outsole)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Correct, vaporfly next%. Big difference in how my legs feel both during and after a run.
Quote Reply
Re: Have you tried Next % Tempo? [kane8907] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can you please explain your comment?

Tempo shoes are not meant for "professional runners" versus regular runners?

That's a similar comment to that other guy (he's got a weird username), that said "real runners" don't use Nike shoes. I asked for clarification of what a "real runner" is, and was told someone who runs the marathon.

By that definition, I would not be a real runner, yet did run for a living for 6 years (post collage) represented this country in international competition four different times. Centro is also not a real runner, neither is the majority of the track folks, I can't call them runners by the subjective definition provided on another discussion.
Quote Reply
Re: Have you tried Next % Tempo? [TurboVette] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I also don't get kane's comment in that the implication is that all pro runners have the exact same running style, stride etc. while no amateur runners have similar styles for pros? The only difference is speed, not form. And many amateurs' speed difference is that much...

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: Have you tried Next % Tempo? [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So I’m continuing my long term review of these Tempo’s :-)

Did my first tempo-run in them today. Feeling is much the same - but much better at higher speeds. Im still very puzzled by how fast these are?! My shoes weigh in close to 280g, but strangely run fast. They are supposed to be trainers, but give me more speed than any of my Racing - flats.

Today i did a 10km tempo run waaay faster than expected. Both PE-wise and by HR. For comparison: tuesday i ran 8x1000m intervals with 60 sec sloooow jogging recovery. I ran them at 4:00-4:03/4 pr km. Today i did 10km continously - splits were
3:57 - 3:55 - 3:56 - 3:57 - 3:57 - 4:04 - 3:49 - 3:57 - 3:54 - 3:40. Avg HR was almost 10 bpm lower than during tuesdays intervals (i ran those in lighter, Carbon-plated shoes)

Didnt feel like pushing at all before the last k. Todays session - like easy runs - feel like i get 10 -15 sec faster pr km than in other shoes. In summary Im still puzzled by these shoes, but more positive today than after my first run in them. As an important side-note - legs feel good after runs in them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glad that you like them. What shoe or shoes were you using as a daily trainer prior to the Tempo?

Toro Performance
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TurboVette wrote:
Can you please explain your comment?

Tempo shoes are not meant for "professional runners" versus regular runners?

That's a similar comment to that other guy (he's got a weird username), that said "real runners" don't use Nike shoes. I asked for clarification of what a "real runner" is, and was told someone who runs the marathon.

By that definition, I would not be a real runner, yet did run for a living for 6 years (post collage) represented this country in international competition four different times. Centro is also not a real runner, neither is the majority of the track folks, I can't call them runners by the subjective definition provided on another discussion.

Ofc I cant speak for that other guy, but going on my (so far pretty Limited) experience, these shoes are probably better the faster (and - perhaps, for us hobby-joggers, heavier) you are. They seem quite «stiff» - especially The forefoot. This is where The «cluncky»- feel comes from. For me - speeding up to 4min/k - they felt better - probably simple bcause more force was applied.

@TurboVette given your description of own career, I take it you are quite fast? For me - this would explain your love for The Shoe.

For me - i am curious to how I will like it after 100 miles. Wonder if it maybe needs Some «breaking in» for it to feel good for me in paces slower than threshold ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just got these a couple days ago and I’m trying to figure out where the stiff/hard comments are coming from they’re not Alphafly or vapor fly soft but they don’t feel super hard either.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What is the drop on these?

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didn't like them and the price sucks for what you get. Nike took several parts of other shoes and slapped them together. They are nothing like the Next%. At recover paces this shoe is awful, at fast race paces its much better but this shoe is billed as a trainer for $200. Upper is
flyknit'ish and it holds sweat. They get heavy when wet.

Nike makes really good race shoes but their trainers blow.
Quote Reply

Prev Next