Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Have we talked about chain quality and its effect on the quality of shifting?
Quote | Reply
I don't see any posts where this has been thoroughly hashed out. I'm curious what everyone's thoughts and experiences have been with specific chains and the quality of the shifting on any given set up.

My own experience has been when I moved from 10 speed to 11 speed the shifting has not been great when I use Shimano chains. Now I'm not sure if that's a tolerance thing or a cassette issue.

What say you.
Quote Reply
Re: Have we talked about chain quality and its effect on the quality of shifting? [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bought some of premier's chains (treated wipperman chain) and have never looked back.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: Have we talked about chain quality and its effect on the quality of shifting? [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For 11 speed, I've used KMC silver, KMC EL, Wipperman silver, and Premier treated chain.
When properly cleaned and lubed or waxed, they all shifted equally well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've only ever really used KMC X11-SL DLC 11 or Shimano Dura Ace HG-901 over the last few years on my tri and road bikes across 11 speed Etap and Dura Ace groups. I also run Rotor rings so shifting can be a little more fickle but I find the Shimano chain changes better and is cheaper so I generally lean towards Shimano now days. Not that I regularly cross cassette fully but if you do the Shimano has no issues but the KMC doesn't seem to like it as much as you get close.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use whatever chain the LBS gives me.

I lube it up with White Lightning before every ride.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I recently bought some praxis chainrings. In their faq, they recommend pretty much any chain except SRAM. They don’t seem to think sram chains shift as well as others.

I haven’t personally experienced a difference, but I usually buy Dura Ace anyway.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stay within brand and that should be ideal. Shimano drivetrain - use similar quality Shimano chain. Etc
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ceteris paribus, a move to more speeds will always give a system which has less tolerance to misalignment
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pretty much same shifting performance on 105, Ultegra, Ultegra Di2, and eTap with SRAM Red, Shimano (multiple), and Premier chains. For me, different chains have no material difference for shifting.
Quote Reply