Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Have we already talked about oversized pulleys and chain length?
Quote | Reply
I just screwed up cutting a chain to the proper length because I forget to figure in the oversized pulleys.

Have we already discussed this?
What method are you guys using?

Ty
Quote Reply
Re: Have we already talked about oversized pulleys and chain length? [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Method to measure chain length? I've always used the method Leonard Zinn recommends with the chain over the largest ring in front, the smallest ring in back and through the derailleurs, (i.e. around the pulleys). With that setup, he says, the two pulleys should be vertical. It's always worked well for me.

I don't have oversize pulleys but I having to think it would be the same. The point is to take them into account, not to worry about how big they are.

Once you've got a chain of the right length, then the next time, you just make the replacement be the same number of chain links.
Last edited by: JoeO: Jun 10, 18 17:52
Quote Reply
Re: Have we already talked about oversized pulleys and chain length? [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Get a quick link and reconnect the chain links you removed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You haven't wrecked your chain. I know this because once I made a chain out of I think 10 different small pieces of chain (all the same kind of course) and it worked great. It took a lot of pins to connect it all together but it worked fine.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: Have we already talked about oversized pulleys and chain length? [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can I use more than one kmc quick link without issue? Not side by side.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do not know, as I have not used kmc chains or their quick links. I used Shimano chain pieces and Shimano pins which are of course non-removable.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, you can use more than one link. I've got two in one of my chains.

You won't be able to get them side by side but least one link apart.
Quote Reply
Re: Have we already talked about oversized pulleys and chain length? [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Been there. "Gotta put on this big cassette before the mountains tomorrow, oh shit." That combo is still going strong on my trainer bike.
Quote Reply