Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Have FLO wheels gone way up in price?
Quote | Reply
I remember years ago thinking FLO wheels were an almost unbelievable bargain. I nearly pulled the trigger on a set, though got busy with family life so held off. Fast forward 4 years, I’m getting back into racing and am looking for a new wheel set. I was excited to see a 20% sale on FLO wheels for Father’s Day, though after review, I’m not as impressed with their prices. A set of FLO 60s with aluminum rims are $1250. A new set of HED Jet 6+’s are $1150 from the source (can be found cheaper from other online shops). Why would I pay more for FLOs than HEDs?
Quote Reply
Re: Have FLO wheels gone way up in price? [UMDRunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, they are 26% higher. When I got my set of 60/90 Carbon Clinchers in 2016, they were $1,150. The same set today would be $1,450. The price of each wheel is $150 more. They are still an incredible value, especially the carbon clinchers. If you are shopping carbon-aluminum, then I would choose HED. That is what I have now, when I made the shift from carbon brake tracks to aluminum brake tracks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
UMDRunner wrote:
I remember years ago thinking FLO wheels were an almost unbelievable bargain. I nearly pulled the trigger on a set, though got busy with family life so held off. Fast forward 4 years, I’m getting back into racing and am looking for a new wheel set. I was excited to see a 20% sale on FLO wheels for Father’s Day, though after review, I’m not as impressed with their prices. A set of FLO 60s with aluminum rims are $1250. A new set of HED Jet 6+’s are $1150 from the source (can be found cheaper from other online shops). Why would I pay more for FLOs than HEDs?

Hmmm, looks like they've taken the dubious step of increasing their prices ahead of the "20% off" sale so that the net price is the same. These are not the type of Shenanigans I would expect from FLO.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Re: Have FLO wheels gone way up in price? [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Classic Kohl’s strategy... 😡
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://www.npr.org/...all-on-u-s-consumers

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Have FLO wheels gone way up in price? [fredly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Have FLO wheels gone way up in price? [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well so much for that theory :)

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Have FLO wheels gone way up in price? [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Blame the consumers for Kohl's-esque sales strategy. Fake discounts is literally what people want:

http://business.time.com/...upons-too-of-course/
Quote Reply
Re: Have FLO wheels gone way up in price? [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:
Fake discounts is literally what people want:

I'd rephrase that a little. They probably want real discounts, but are susceptible to falling for the fake kind.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This makes sense, I was wondering why my email was suddenly getting frequent sales emails from them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Have FLO wheels gone way up in price? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I second the recommendation of HED Jets.
Quote Reply
Re: Have FLO wheels gone way up in price? [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have two sets of average or sub par China made wheels and they are ok. FLO wheels are basically the same but with better quality control, design and whatnot. I rather buy HED for sure. Don’t settle with FLO.
Quote Reply
Re: Have FLO wheels gone way up in price? [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would typically defend Flo but $850 for a disc from them is now in the range that it’s much easier to look elsewhere. Before it was hard to justify anything but a Flo Disc. Whatever the reason, Flo’s prices now give the potential buyers more to think about.
Quote Reply
Re: Have FLO wheels gone way up in price? [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
s13tx wrote:
I have two sets of average or sub par China made wheels and they are ok. FLO wheels are basically the same but with better quality control, design and whatnot. I rather buy HED for sure. Don’t settle with FLO.

So, Flo’s are China made and not Taiwan?

I thought Tiawan is where the good carbon bike parts were from and China was junk. Everyone spoke highly of Flo, so I am confused. What’s the deal?

For the record, I have Zipps and not Flo. I don’t much about Flo except the praise I have seen on this forum.
Quote Reply
Re: Have FLO wheels gone way up in price? [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
I would typically defend Flo but $850 for a disc from them is now in the range that it’s much easier to look elsewhere. Before it was hard to justify anything but a Flo Disc. Whatever the reason, Flo’s prices now give the potential buyers more to think about.

Who makes a cheaper aluminum brake track disc that's comparable in price? HED's is substantially more.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: Have FLO wheels gone way up in price? [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
$1250 plus shipping for Flo 60 alloy version; even with 20% off that in the same range as HED Jet 6 Plus which are routinely on sale for around $1,000 plus free shipping. So maybe even cheaper than Flo. And, if not, I just said it would give a buyer much more to think about. I’ve owned both and they are both very solid and any differences are negligible. With pricing being essentially equal, I would give a little edge to HED.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
This. I just went to their site as I’m in the market for a disc. Saw the price and closed it out as I’ll take my time shopping around. Really disappointed that they bumped their prices as I was all for supporting Flo as I’ve been happy with their other wheels I’ve bought. But I’m not that brand loyal. Too bad.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:

PremierBike disc is $742...that what I'd look at if I was in the market
Quote Reply
Re: Have FLO wheels gone way up in price? [anthonypat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Personally I value my safety too much to ride carbon, but, yes, that’s a good option for those who like carbon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
Personally I value my safety too much to ride carbon, but, yes, that’s a good option for those who like carbon.

? Is there a rash of full-carbon wheel failures I have not heard about?

If you're referring to the carbon brake track...well, you're probably using that full carbon disc in a race only environment where you're not really braking except at the dismount line. MAYBE if its raining in a technical bike race and you think you might need to brake? Sorry I don't get the issue with carbon you're bringing up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also the rear hubs are horrifyingly loud - if you wanted to clear a path in front of you all you had to do was coast.

And I know almost everybody loves the Thornham brothers, but when I had questions before buying, and service issues after buying, I found them to be rude and dismissive. I sold my FLOs and never looked back. I now happily ride HED and Reynolds and would never consider another FLO product.
Last edited by: bigmatt: Jun 15, 19 17:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’d love to do the races you do where there is zero braking involved, never any rain, never any novice riders who may some unpredictable and poor choices biking and cars ride in perfect harmony. I also ride outside of racing with bikes, cars, stop lights, animals, cracks, holes and other unexpected items that may require faster braking. Please don’t suggest that your carbon brake track works as well as my HED black. I know people love to contend that braking doesn’t matter because you shouldnt ever be braking in races. That’s stupid, I’m my opinion. This is a hobby for me. I make my money and support my family using my brain, so yes, the ability to brake matters immensely to me even if it is used infrequently.
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Jun 15, 19 18:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Besides, Zipp Firecrests with Zipp pads brake better than alloy braketrack with Shimano pads. No, really.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
I’d love to do the races you do where there is zero braking involved, never any rain, never any novice riders who may some unpredictable and poor choices biking and cars ride in perfect harmony. I also ride outside of racing with bikes, cars, stop lights, animals, cracks, holes and other unexpected items that may require faster braking. Please don’t suggest that your carbon brake track works as well as my HED black. I know people love to contend that braking doesn’t matter because you shouldnt ever be braking in races. That’s stupid, I’m my opinion. This is a hobby for me. I make my money and support my family using my brain, so yes, the ability to brake matters immensely to me even if it is used infrequently.

sounds like disc brakes are for you then
Quote Reply

Prev Next