Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Has anyone tried to get deferrals or transfers for any upcoming IM events?
Quote | Reply
I have two May races that were deferrals from last year. Iā€™m still not ready or comfortable racing during all this so Iā€™m not going to race. I need to either request a deferral (if theyā€™re giving them) or the paltry partial refund.

Just wondering what WTCā€™s stance is right now. I know what the website says but Iā€™ve also read Facebook posts about people getting transfers and deferrals.

This isnā€™t an open invitation to discuss whether we should be collectively racing or not. If the race is happening and people want to race then let them race. Iā€™m just not ready to deal with all the BS around racing right now. Wake me up when things go back to some sense of normalcy. šŸ˜

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Last edited by: The GMAN: Mar 16, 21 4:54
Quote Reply
Re: Has anyone tried to get deferrals or transfers for any upcoming IM events? [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We (two couples) are signed up for Calgary 70.3 on August 1st. All four of us will have received full vaccination by the end of this month and plan to race if itā€™s held.

However, unless the travel restrictions change in the next few months, we still cannot enter Canada from the US. I emailed the RD a couple of weeks ago to see if they will have a referral or transfer policy (was not asking for refund). The response was that there was none at this time.
Quote Reply
Re: Has anyone tried to get deferrals or transfers for any upcoming IM events? [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They would not even give me my paltry $75 refund.

Janyne
Quote Reply
Re: Has anyone tried to get deferrals or transfers for any upcoming IM events? [jmkizer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jmkizer wrote:

Was this for a deferred race?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
jmkizer wrote:

Was this for a deferred race?

Yes, I registered in 2019. The site says:

Withdrawal requests must be received in writing via email to [raceemailaddress]. Without exception, all requests must be received on or before April 8, 2021 to be eligible for a partial refund of $75.00 USD. Deferments and Transfers are NOT permitted. The Withdrawal Policy also applies to the Foundation and Relay Entries.

Janyne
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I signed up for 3 races in 2019

Oceanside 70.3
IM St George (since transferred to IM Coeur d'Alene)
Indian Wells 70.3

Each time I was offered a deferral for Oceanside and IW races I kept my registration for the next purposed date. I have since learned that my Oceanside registration has disappeared and I'm no longer registered for the event. When I reached out to the Oceanside support they informed me that I chose to move my registration to the IW race (which I was already registered for) and if there is an issue I need to work with IW support. So I reached out to IW and they have verified that they have record of me registering for the event in early 2020 and no record of me transferring any of my other registrations to this event. They since have asked me to reach back out to the Oceanside support team to get this corrected. I'm still awaiting a response.

I have reached out to see about deferring my Coeur d'Alene race to another race since it's almost impossible to find a pool to swim in near me and they said I can transfer my registration to a later North American IM in 2021. The only available races are Indiana and Cozumel. I did ask if I can push to 2022 as these dates will not work for me and I didn't receive a response.

I appreciate that they at least gave me an option for transferring the Coeur d'Alene race, but a little more flexibility would be nice (obviously this isn't required). I am pretty upset about my Oceanside registration as I followed their instructions in all of their deferral emails which most of the time was to not make any changes if you want to stay registered for this race. Oceanside is a local race for me which is why I planned to keep my registration as is.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife and I deferred Mont Tremblant from last year's race. I reached out to them a few weeks ago to see about deferring this year's race and was told at that time they were not processing deferrals and to check back in June/60 days before the race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Answering my own question here...

The partial refund window was coming due so I reached out to Ironman about refund, deferral, transfer options. They said I cannot get a partial refund since these races were deferrals from last year and the refund window expired last year. Logic that baffles me since the races were canceled and there werenā€™t refunds offered. Whatever. I was more interested in deferrals or transfers anyway. They are allowing deferrals to 2022 if asked. I saw the list of North American races that were eligible for deferment and it extended to races well into the summer. I wonā€™t post the list here. The choices were viewable in the online portal when choosing which race to defer.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was wondering where you live if you have a chance of being vaccinated soon. Once that is done, you have almost no worry about catching this yourself and the data from UK and Israel show that we will barely be spreading this to each other and you should be able to get back to near normal racing shortly in USA. In Canada, the doom and gloom people are acting like it will never happen, but we are literally 2.5 months behind UK....sitting here in early April there is no third wave of deaths and even though there is a third wave of hospitalizations (because non "old people" are not vaccinated yet), there should be no subsequent wave of hospitalizations as you can see from UK and Israeli and UAE data. So shortly after that, things get quite normal.

I would think you are able to race in USA fairly normally soon and in Canada by end of summer easily. The question for the latter if politicians are courageous enough to open various things when sufficient vaccination percentages occur versus waiting an entire one to two months afterwards. There should be little reason to wait those two months since we have data from other countries. We also have a looming federal election so there will be a desire when hospitals are less busy to make citizens feel "happier" before going to vote. Granted opening many things up is largely provincial, but signals from national level helps one way or the other.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I deferred Tulsa from 2020, to 2021, and just recently deferred again to 2022. No problems, and they emailed the deferral the next day. The deferral deadline (April 8) was approaching, and my state was unsure about the vaccine age and dates available, at the time. As luck would have it, a week after I deferred, my state opened vaccines up to everyone over 16. Iā€™ve already got my first shot. Oh well, it worked out ok, as the friends I was going with all made the same decision, and I wasnā€™t looking forward to being a Loner there. Hopefully, in a year, the pools will be open for everyone, the protocols will be over, and the pandemic will be old news, and we can race like we used to.

Athlinks / Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Has anyone tried to get deferrals or transfers for any upcoming IM events? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
I was wondering where you live if you have a chance of being vaccinated soon. Once that is done, you have almost no worry about catching this yourself and the data from UK and Israel show that we will barely be spreading this to each other and you should be able to get back to near normal racing shortly in USA. In Canada, the doom and gloom people are acting like it will never happen, but we are literally 2.5 months behind UK....sitting here in early April there is no third wave of deaths and even though there is a third wave of hospitalizations (because non "old people" are not vaccinated yet), there should be no subsequent wave of hospitalizations as you can see from UK and Israeli and UAE data. So shortly after that, things get quite normal.

I would think you are able to race in USA fairly normally soon and in Canada by end of summer easily. The question for the latter if politicians are courageous enough to open various things when sufficient vaccination percentages occur versus waiting an entire one to two months afterwards. There should be little reason to wait those two months since we have data from other countries. We also have a looming federal election so there will be a desire when hospitals are less busy to make citizens feel "happier" before going to vote. Granted opening many things up is largely provincial, but signals from national level helps one way or the other.

What one "would think" and what will happen... will be two different things, in my opinion (I'm just thinking U.S.). For example, Essex County in NY has just a few cases at present. You'd think there would be no problem for Lake Placid race in July. But this editorial makes me think politics will be a far greater factor vs. what the real threat of infection may be:

https://www.adirondackdailyenterprise.com/...ents-are-a-big-risk/

But of course, there are those states/locations who are acting and will act far differently.

The tough thing for racers trying to weigh deferrals... where are you signed up, do you want to risk a race happening or try to defer to another location for 2021 in which you think would be far far greater chance of happening (and before a potential rush of other people thinking the same thing...) - thinking about IM Florida and IM Arizona in particular for obvious reasons - heavy GOP states, later in calendar.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
I have two May races that were deferrals from last year. Iā€™m still not ready or comfortable racing during all this so Iā€™m not going to race. I need to either request a deferral (if theyā€™re giving them) or the paltry partial refund.

Just wondering what WTCā€™s stance is right now. I know what the website says but Iā€™ve also read Facebook posts about people getting transfers and deferrals.

This isnā€™t an open invitation to discuss whether we should be collectively racing or not. If the race is happening and people want to race then let them race. Iā€™m just not ready to deal with all the BS around racing right now. Wake me up when things go back to some sense of normalcy. šŸ˜

I felt the same way and tried to defer Augusta 70.3 Sept 2021 to 2022 and got denied...

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
were both of your races full or 70.3?
Quote Reply
Re: Has anyone tried to get deferrals or transfers for any upcoming IM events? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:

Dev, Iā€™ve had both my Pfizer shots. When I say uncomfortable itā€™s not necessarily the racing. Itā€™s all the travel and hassle that goes along with it in COVID times. I just donā€™t want to deal with it right now.

Quote Reply
Re: Has anyone tried to get deferrals or transfers for any upcoming IM events? [lhmd21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lhmd21 wrote:
were both of your races full or 70.3?

Quote Reply
Re: Has anyone tried to get deferrals or transfers for any upcoming IM events? [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
plant_based wrote:
The GMAN wrote:

I felt the same way and tried to defer Augusta 70.3 Sept 2021 to 2022 and got denied...

Augusta wasnā€™t on the deferral option list. It was races up to July.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
plant_based wrote:
The GMAN wrote:

Augusta wasnā€™t on the deferral option list. It was races up to July.

Ok thanks

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

Dev, Iā€™ve had both my Pfizer shots. When I say uncomfortable itā€™s not necessarily the racing. Itā€™s all the travel and hassle that goes along with it in COVID times. I just donā€™t want to deal with it right now.

That is fair if you don't want to race but anyone can not want to race because of work or a wedding or traffic to drive to a race or something else. But why should Ironman give anyone a refund if Ironman can put on a race ?

But in support of you it is not material to Ironman whether you had a vaccine or not
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
The GMAN wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

That is fair if you don't want to race but anyone can not want to race because of work or a wedding or traffic to drive to a race or something else. But why should Ironman give anyone a refund if Ironman can put on a race ?

But in support of you it is not material to Ironman whether you had a vaccine or not

I donā€™t disagree with that in the overall. My main sticking point is I registered for these races in 2019 for a 2020 race. I wasnā€™t registering for races two years later in which I had no clue what my work/family commitment situation would look like. Turns out I have three date conflicts with 2021 deferrals. One of which they allowed me to transfer so that was a solid gesture even if the transfer options kind of sucked. It is the Hawaii 70.3 which is likely to be postponed anyway. So more of a solid (but empty) gesture. The other two they wonā€™t budge on which kind of pisses me off. I have two family commitments in September that I cannot miss (weddings). Two of the deferrals fall on the those weekends in September. So without an option to defer/transfer/refund I am getting screwed through no fault of my own. I shouldnā€™t be stuck to a race schedule that I didnā€™t choose.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
The GMAN wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

I donā€™t disagree with that in the overall. My main sticking point is I registered for these races in 2019 for a 2020 race. I wasnā€™t registering for races two years later in which I had no clue what my work/family commitment situation would look like. Turns out I have three date conflicts with 2021 deferrals. One of which they allowed me to transfer so that was a solid gesture even if the transfer options kind of sucked. It is the Hawaii 70.3 which is likely to be postponed anyway. So more of a solid (but empty) gesture. The other two they wonā€™t budge on which kind of pisses me off. I have two family commitments in September that I cannot miss (weddings). Two of the deferrals fall on the those weekends in September. So without an option to defer/transfer/refund I am getting screwed through no fault of my own. I shouldnā€™t be stuck to a race schedule that I didnā€™t choose.

I think it is lose lose lose for all parties. IM loses because they can't really help most get into a race that they signed up for (the deferred date or another one may be a pain), the athlete is losing because they have to pick something they don't want or lose their cash, and the third group who lose are people like me, who were not registered in 2020, but wanted to register in 2021, but all you guys rolled over are keeping us shut out. So everyone is losing. The easy answer, is open up registrations for people like me, and refund 100% peope like you. No one really loses and a post pandemic exception seems like a reasonable thing for Messick to implement for all to win. There is plenty of pent up demand.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
The easy answer, is open up registrations for people like me, and refund 100% peope like you. No one really loses and a post pandemic exception seems like a reasonable thing for Messick to implement for all to win. There is plenty of pent up demand.

Exactly this. I donā€™t get why they donā€™t do that. Seems like thatā€™s even easier from an administrative/paperwork standpoint than the current deferral shell game thatā€™s leaving a large percentage of their customer base unsatisfied.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
The easy answer, is open up registrations for people like me, and refund 100% peope like you. No one really loses and a post pandemic exception seems like a reasonable thing for Messick to implement for all to win. There is plenty of pent up demand.

Exactly this. I donā€™t get why they donā€™t do that. Seems like thatā€™s even easier from an administrative/paperwork standpoint than the current deferral shell game thatā€™s leaving a large percentage of their customer base unsatisfied.

You got it, Refund folks 100% and fill up same races. Heck sell the slots at 120% if you have to, they will sell out. Everyone will be happy. The current mode of screwing past customers makes no sense. Also using this, they return the money in some race, but a person like you can now sign up for another race that works that is no longer sold out. Right now you can't do that, because races you may want to do are artificially sold out, with ticket holders who actually won't even go. But if you give them their money back, they will withdraw and open up the slot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

The goodwill this would engender would be tremendous. Yeah it would take a lot of work but could be done.

I am not even quite sure any more which races I have when or what they were deferred from
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ironman Michigan (Traverse City) screwed me over. All the local triathlons have been great. Almost all let me defer to 2022 if there was a conflict and two gave me refunds.

I did multiple Iornman events each year for well over a decade. If Ironman had just refunded me, I would pick up again in 2022 and continued to race. Instead, I'll just stick with locally run races.

And yes I'm well aware Ironman gives zero fucks about losing my business.

Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:

I agree with much of the sentiment. But you do have to be careful with the comparison- whilst the UK has rolled out vaccination really well, and it has good uptake in the most-at-risk age groups (though less so in some ethnic groups) there's 2 big factors at play here in the low levels of transmission and hospitalisations in the UK. The vax is one. The other is that we've had 3.3 months of a lockdown with all non-essential shops closed, pubs and clubs closed, indoor eating places all closed, all sports facilities closed, most people still WFH, lots still laid off, elite sports behind closed doors, schools closed until about 4 weeks ago (and then school Easter hols breaking that up too). And a travel ban outside the local area up to 10 days ago too
Meeting is still limited to outdoors and limited to 6 people max. That was only 2 people before 29th March.
An open functioning society with any semblance of normal human contact we have not.
Quote Reply

Prev Next