Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Has anyone done a triathlon this year?
Quote | Reply
After my fourth triathlon got cancelled, I was super frustrated, but pretty much expected it. ThankfulIy, a local triathlon group put on their own race, and I was lucky enough to finally do an unofficial triathlon a couple of weeks ago. If anyone is interested, I captured it here https://www.youtube.com/...m-yDruRuco&t=13s

I'm just wondering if anyone else has been able to do a triathlon this year.
Quote Reply
Re: Has anyone done a triathlon this year? [brunes83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
brunes83 wrote:
After my fourth triathlon got cancelled, I was super frustrated, but pretty much expected it. ThankfulIy, a local triathlon group put on their own race, and I was lucky enough to finally do an unofficial triathlon a couple of weeks ago. If anyone is interested, I captured it here https://www.youtube.com/...m-yDruRuco&t=13s

I'm just wondering if anyone else has been able to do a triathlon this year.

In-person triathlon, no. But I have done a couple of virtual triathlons - not the same at all, but I've found them to be fun in their own way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good job! Thanks for sharing. That was very entertaining.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did an off-road tri earlier this month.

I may do one more, I'm not sure.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No racing yet, but who knows....

Nice video. Good thing you saved those 20 secs in T2. :)

Not a coach. Not a FOP Tri/swimmer/biker/runner. Barely a MOP AGer.
But I'm learning and making progress.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think this will be the first year since 1999 I won’t do a triathlon if some kind.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Local sprint/Olympic racing started in Florida in early July. First sprint I did may as well have been Kona. Was so relieved to race again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes

In March.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On several, several occasions since March I've ridden my bike, eaten a taco and drank a 6 pack all in pretty good time. Does that count?

Robert Dao
ATC Racing - Austin, TX
Gold's Gym Triathlon Coach
@speedao1
@daotraining
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do one every weekend. I swim at my local pool, run out to the vehicle to T1, cycle and then come back to the vehicle, T2, run, and then return to my vehicle.
Totally solo and unsupported but doing all three events like this with the transition area as my vehicle has become a go-to event for me each weekend. I keep the same distances and route and try to beat the prior weeks' race. Not the pageantry of an HFP Finish Line but it goes keep me motivated. After each one I come home and announce "I just did a triathlon!"

It is what 2020 is for me,
John
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We had a small olympic tri in connecticut about a week ago.
125 person limit, 25 person swim waves, and No Bike Racks.
Cones with 6" of separation were laid out in the transition everybody picked a cone & setup there.

We off very well, and it was a real race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Raced a local sprint tri this last Saturday.

150 people cap. 3 bikes per rack. Pool swim w/ entrance only when your number was called. You stood at lines marked on ground w/ 6 feet of spacing waiting to start. Packet was waiting underneath our bikes with a disposable mask that you wore until 10seconds before hopping in the pool. Post-race food was also pre-packaged and you were encouraged to grab your bike and leave as as soon as you finished. No awards ceremony. You could pick up at a local bike shop the next day.

Pretty much flawless imo and I hope 3 bikes to a rack and getting to go in transition and grab your bike as soon as you finish sticks around!

Mark Saroni
Quote | Reply
I did a solo 70.3 race on the same course as one that was cancelled. Aid stations staffed by my family even.

It was Just like a real race, the swim was even cancelled due to fecal contamination in the lake I was planning on swimming in!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I managed to get in 2 sprints in Feb and March, just a few weeks before the restrictions started to hit. It was a mixed blessing; on one side, I was bummed that I had to miss the Legacy Triathlon (which was being held on the potential course for the 2028 Olympics) but I also found out I had a stress fracture so I've been able to rest without concerns about losing out on race fees (this and other races I'd signed up for pushed my registrations to 2021).
Quote Reply
Re: Has anyone done a triathlon this year? [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I think this will be the first year since 1999 I won’t do a triathlon if some kind."
-----------------------
my first since 1982 if I don't find one! I told my wife I will go anytime, anywhere . . . getting desperate!!

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: Has anyone done a triathlon this year? [LEBoyd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, those precious seconds are very important. Of course, I'm sure I wasted waaaaay more time talking to people when coming out of the swim.
Quote Reply
Re: Has anyone done a triathlon this year? [WHITEJM74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! Since I'm pretty new to the sport (about 2.5 years), it's always nice to laugh at my issues...the swim, ohhh the swim.
Quote Reply
Re: Has anyone done a triathlon this year? [SpeeDao] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SpeeDao wrote:
On several, several occasions since March I've ridden my bike, eaten a taco and drank a 6 pack all in pretty good time. Does that count?

This made me laugh. Yes, I have done many of those triathlons, e.g., biking, donuts, Dr. Pepper. In that order.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's good to hear there are actual triathlons going on. Maybe that will create a prototype for holding races next year. I especially like not having to fight for a spot in T1 for your bike!

I'm mostly disappointed because I was going to do three HIMs this year (Oceanside, Boulder and Malibu). Malibu's not an IM brand, but the HIM distance. However, all were cancelled, so I guess I already know my schedule for next year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did a solo 70.3 in May. 1900m on Vasa, 56.1 on Zwift (2x times the clockwise route in Watopia and then 16 miles of the flats), and 13 laps around the block. It was one of the harder events I've done to be honest.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: Has anyone done a triathlon this year? [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't yet. Debating a small HIM in a few weeks...this small racing company has put on several mid week sprints and an Oly last month with 150 people max, 3 bikes per rack, limited aid stations, etc. They all have gone well and gotten decent reviews.

It's appealing because they have a good precedent and I'm dying to race.

I'm unsure about it just because it seems to suck some of the fun out of it (no awards, grab your bike and go, time trial start). But, as another poster said, if this is what it's gonna be going forward, I'd rather race than not!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did an olympic in Cheney Kansas last weekend. Man it was good to race again! I've been on long easy maintenance miles since Tulsa got cancelled... but was still able to win Grandmasters, and took 5th over all, so really happy to be back at it.

Athlinks / Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Has anyone done a triathlon this year? [Dean T] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stop depending on others to put on races for you! do your own. I have already put on 10 triathlons here in san diego sprint up to 70.3! If I am the only one that shows up, I win! lol , actually had many good people show up to push me. There are regulars coming back. They really love tri. You do not love tri if you are waiting for some brand name race to put one on or an easy AG podium. I have set a lot of bike PR's thanks to my own races, because I am getting my assed kicked in transition since I am taking my luxurious time, and need to make it up. I am having so much fun because there is no stress from fear of loss due to registration fees

Last edited by: synthetic: Aug 24, 20 17:36
Quote Reply
Re: Has anyone done a triathlon this year? [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with all the do-it-yourselfers in triathlon, the heart of the sport!

That said, I'm super lucky to be racing Ironman Taiwan 70.3 on Sept. 13. Will be one to enjoy for sure!
Quote Reply
Re: Has anyone done a triathlon this year? [Darren325] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree with others that DIY is the way to go. I did my own 70.3 back in April, and now planning my own marathon before the year is done. The 70.3 was tough mentally especially on the bike as it hard not to let the feeling of pointlessness creep in after 40 odd KMs. But I slogged it out and happy to keep my streak alive.

My race site: https://racesandplaces.wixsite.com/racesandplaces
Quote Reply

Prev Next