Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Has Cam Wurf’s Tower 26 interview changed your mind? Also what’s the point of training in Maui when Kona is right there??
Quote | Reply
Got to admit I’d be nervous to let Cam to too far up the road seeing his progression within the run. I also didn’t know he’s training with the trainers involved in the 1:59 attempt. Very interesting..

Maybe I’m easily convinced, but I’m giving Cam a decent shot.

Maui is awesome though so there’s that, but why not just stop the foreplay and train in Kona?
Quote Reply
Re: Has Cam Wurf’s Tower 26 interview changed your mind? Also what’s the point of training in Maui when Kona is right there?? [thatzone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's been discussed quite a bit in the discussion about Rinny and others training in Kansas. Top pros get bothered a lot by us gaggly AGers so even now, plenty of us are beginning to flood Kona so Maui is the more quiet choice.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: Has Cam Wurf’s Tower 26 interview changed your mind? Also what’s the point of training in Maui when Kona is right there?? [thatzone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I found him to be pretty annoying when he first came on the tri scene, but after listening to that interview, he seemed much more likeable to me. So in that regard, my opinion has changed of him.
I was impressed with his approach, training and planning and I see no reason why he won't be in the mix at Kona this year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kona is a shitty place to train. The local pool is closed, the roads are either heavily trafficked highways or straight up hill and no shoulder, and the running is all on really cambered roads
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think he will be in the mix. I think we are in for a pretty exciting race this year!

Member of the Litespeed Factory Team
www.litespeed.com
Quote Reply
Re: Has Cam Wurf’s Tower 26 interview changed your mind? Also what’s the point of training in Maui when Kona is right there?? [Orcaman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
*Knock on wood* everyone is healthy and not just ‘flexing’ for Instagram..
Quote Reply
Re: Has Cam Wurf’s Tower 26 interview changed your mind? Also what’s the point of training in Maui when Kona is right there?? [JBell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JBell wrote:
I found him to be pretty annoying when he first came on the tri scene, but after listening to that interview, he seemed much more likeable to me. So in that regard, my opinion has changed of him.
I was impressed with his approach, training and planning and I see no reason why he won't be in the mix at Kona this year.

Cam's sense of humour can be hard to get at first, but basically, taking the mickey out of people is an Aussie pastime.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thatzone wrote:
Got to admit I’d be nervous to let Cam to too far up the road seeing his progression within the run. I also didn’t know he’s training with the trainers involved in the 1:59 attempt. Very interesting..

Maui is awesome though so there’s that, but why not just stop the foreplay and train in Kona?

As an Australian, I'd love for him to podium. I'm not sure he can though. I'm not totally aware of his race times for 2019, especially run times, from what I recall, he's much improved on 2018, but his 2.45 in Italy was on a cool day wasn't it? Not irrelevant, but you need to take into consideration, weather, course, road surfaces etc If he ran 2.45 on a cool day in Italy, he's not going to run 2.45 in Kona and he's going to have to run that to podium. I think he'll have 2 or 3 others and that will come in to T2, either with him, or not far behind him. I'm predicting 6th.
Quote Reply
Re: Has Cam Wurf’s Tower 26 interview changed your mind? Also what’s the point of training in Maui when Kona is right there?? [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:

As an Australian, I'd love for him to podium. I'm not sure he can though. I'm not totally aware of his race times for 2019, especially run times, from what I recall, he's much improved on 2018, but his 2.45 in Italy was on a cool day wasn't it? Not irrelevant, but you need to take into consideration, weather, course, road surfaces etc If he ran 2.45 on a cool day in Italy, he's not going to run 2.45 in Kona and he's going to have to run that to podium. I think he'll have 2 or 3 others and that will come in to T2, either with him, or not far behind him. I'm predicting 6th.

I posted on another thread about this - if you look at his results, his marathon time in Kona is not really slower than his other IMs - maybe 3 minutes or so. And he does a lot of IMs in all conditions. And back to back. :)

I watched the whole interview, and he's becoming one of my top 3 picks for this year. And kudos to him for doing things as he feels are best for him rather than the one size fits all thinking we often see in triathlon.

I'd really like a mix of Wurf, Kienle, AB in any order. We need some personality !!

zedzded wrote:
I'm predicting 6th.

That would be a very good result for him imho. 6th best in the world with only four years in the sport. Not bad.
Quote Reply
Re: Has Cam Wurf’s Tower 26 interview changed your mind? Also what’s the point of training in Maui when Kona is right there?? [peace242000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
peace242000 wrote:
Kona is a shitty place to train. The local pool is closed, the roads are either heavily trafficked highways or straight up hill and no shoulder, and the running is all on really cambered roads
Nailed it. As someone who have done this race several times and the 70.3 once, outside of race week, kona is a shithole.

When there for the 70.3 its just a dump.

Maui is heaps better.

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good listen, but his recall of the swim doesn’t line up with the results.
Quote Reply
Re: Has Cam Wurf’s Tower 26 interview changed your mind? Also what’s the point of training in Maui when Kona is right there?? [PJC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PJC wrote:
peace242000 wrote:

Nailed it. As someone who have done this race several times and the 70.3 once, outside of race week, kona is a shithole.

Maui is heaps better.

Wow. Well, peace242000 is very wrong about the roads, guess they haven't seen anything beyond 10% of the island. If I am in Kona, the last place I am going to swim is in the pool. But I guess fine, if you think its a dump then stay away.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maui is a far superior training destination.
4 pools to choose from.
Plenty of good cycling routes with flats and hills to choose from.
The running is fairly decent along the coast with some good trails if you want hard.
Quote Reply
Re: Has Cam Wurf’s Tower 26 interview changed your mind? Also what’s the point of training in Maui when Kona is right there?? [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hadukla wrote:
PJC wrote:
peace242000 wrote:

Maui is heaps better.

Wow. Well, peace242000 is very wrong about the roads, guess they haven't seen anything beyond 10% of the island. If I am in Kona, the last place I am going to swim is in the pool. But I guess fine, if you think its a dump then stay away.
I

Right. Those two are clueless. Lots of great places to train around the world where you prolly don’t want to ride a lot around the town where you’re based. The Big Island has endless training opportunities. Can’t see where Maui differs - ride coastal alts or climb into upcountry.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thatzone wrote:

Ok...I'll completely disagree wit Jerry, he said Cam was quietly confident. No, Cam is quit the trollish Arrogant ass. Which is fine, the sport needs a McEnroe to keep it interesting. And even if he's a troll. I'll still like him.

I give him a shot to be top 5, but I still think the lack of racing in hot conditions will be his downfall.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Has Cam Wurf’s Tower 26 interview changed your mind? Also what’s the point of training in Maui when Kona is right there?? [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I give him a shot to be top 5, but I still think the lack of racing in hot conditions will be his downfall. //

You realize he has raced Kona before, right? Have to imagine in the many 100's of bike races he has done, some of them were hot too. I think it is just like he heard from a pretty good athlete, best thing you can do is be in as good as shape as possible, that is how you prepare. And not like Maui is any cooler than Kona, so his pre race prep will have just enough of the heat element to top off his great form..

I give him a great shot at top 5, bet on it actually...

Quote Reply
Re: Has Cam Wurf’s Tower 26 interview changed your mind? Also what’s the point of training in Maui when Kona is right there?? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
I give him a shot to be top 5, but I still think the lack of racing in hot conditions will be his downfall. //

You realize he has raced Kona before, right? Have to imagine in the many 100's of bike races he has done, some of them were hot too. I think it is just like he heard from a pretty good athlete, best thing you can do is be in as good as shape as possible, that is how you prepare. And not like Maui is any cooler than Kona, so his pre race prep will have just enough of the heat element to top off his great form..

I give him a great shot at top 5, bet on it actually...

So you've changed your tune? His best marathons have come in conditions that are nowhere near the conditions he faced in Kona.

Quote Reply
Re: Has Cam Wurf’s Tower 26 interview changed your mind? Also what’s the point of training in Maui when Kona is right there?? [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've had no tune on the guy, not sure what you are talking about. IF you mean I point out his 2;45 was on a short course, and really about a 2;50, and the 46 swim is 300 meters short, well that just me being accurate about results, like we all should be.

The way I see the race unfolding is that he does his thing on the bike, gap is dependent on conditions. But whatever it is, it is enough for him to run a slight sub 3 hour run, and less than 4 guys pass him on neutral conditions. If they get super bad on the bike, it may just be one or two that eventually catch, his run won't differ much either way, but others will certainly suffer on a really hard ride. That's my tune on Cam..
Quote Reply
Re: Has Cam Wurf’s Tower 26 interview changed your mind? Also what’s the point of training in Maui when Kona is right there?? [peace242000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
peace242000 wrote:

Amen!

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Re: Has Cam Wurf’s Tower 26 interview changed your mind? Also what’s the point of training in Maui when Kona is right there?? [Toothengineer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The thing with Kona is you just have to get off that dam bike course to train, then it is awesome. Like moths to a flame, all the triathletes just seem drawn to that stupid course, but that does leave the saddle road, and the one to south point wide open. And both are nicer rides in the forest canopy, higher up where the heat is not beating down on you 100% of the time too. Here's a thought, maybe drive out of town a bit and start your ride on one of these roads, guaranteed you wont see many people at all!!!

The pool shutting down does suck, I of course never had that pool in my day. We used to go up to the high school one, which I guess is now the pool of no choice. 3 of us would each get our own lane too, probably a bit more hectic this week!!

And here is another tip if you dont like crowds, how about jumping in the water from your condo out on Alli drive and swimming somewhere else. Or if you do the course, just maybe get out and get a drink at dig me beach, and head right back out. It is a very big island, with lots of great stuff, it is not that hard to find some great training grounds, as long as you stay off that dam bike course... )-;
Quote Reply
Re: Has Cam Wurf’s Tower 26 interview changed your mind? Also what’s the point of training in Maui when Kona is right there?? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Should just bring a trainer and ride Z-wift :-)

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Re: Has Cam Wurf’s Tower 26 interview changed your mind? Also what’s the point of training in Maui when Kona is right there?? [Toothengineer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are a few super nice houses on Alli drive, with nice balconies right on the water where that would be as nice as it gets. I could see Lionel there with his treadmill and trainer, hammering in the Kona heat, with an ocean breeze...

We jest, but with all the accidents that happen over there this time of year, and some to major players in the race, indoor will become the new taper time for a lot I bet. Maybe a new business model for Tri bike transport??
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
I've had no tune on the guy, not sure what you are talking about. IF you mean I point out his 2;45 was on a short course, and really about a 2;50, and the 46 swim is 300 meters short, well that just me being accurate about results, like we all should be.

The way I see the race unfolding is that he does his thing on the bike, gap is dependent on conditions. But whatever it is, it is enough for him to run a slight sub 3 hour run, and less than 4 guys pass him on neutral conditions. If they get super bad on the bike, it may just be one or two that eventually catch, his run won't differ much either way, but others will certainly suffer on a really hard ride. That's my tune on Cam..

I had you in the Top 10, but not Top 5 group. Will recall for next time. But I don't think he'll be higher than 5th unless he really is that fit.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When you say riding on the road to south point, you are referring to Hawaii belt road (11)? I've never rode there, interested in trying this time.
Staying in Keauhou, so I can just continue riding in Alii Drive until intersection with 11, and then continue on belt road.
Is that a better option than riding the course?
Quote Reply
Re: Has Cam Wurf’s Tower 26 interview changed your mind? Also what’s the point of training in Maui when Kona is right there?? [pabloarc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is that a better option than riding the course?//

It was to me for sure. I used to make it a 2 day trip, ride to south point, stay overnight after a swim at a deserted beach, then ride back. But I dont know what the lava flows have done to that end of the island, so have to figure that out first. But that direction is a pleasure to ride, once you get to above 1000ft, a lot of rolling up and down easy climbs in the tree cover, you know, the kind of Hawaii you see on all the commercials!! Not the moon shots of the lava fields, nary a tree in sight..

Maybe Kona Coffee can chime in, or ask him on the pre Kona thread..
Quote Reply

Prev Next