Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hardshell shipping case - which one to get
Quote | Reply
After seeing how rough FedEx could be with bike cases, I think I will use a hardshell case next time to ship my bike with bikeflight. So what are some of the good ones? This is for a standard size road bike. Here is what I like to have in the case:

- not too huge so I can load it into a rental car (SUV)
- I don’t mind taking apart the bike to pack
- enough room for the bike and the wheels
- secure and well padded
- reasonably priced
Quote Reply
Re: Hardshell shipping case - which one to get [dalava] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are several previous threads on this subject if you use the "search" function. I've used FedX for shipping over the past six years and, as in your other thread, they are brutal regarding handling of the cases. I previously used the expensive Scicon Aerotech Evolution. Has all the features and appears well made but has critical weak points at the wheels, skewer hole openings and locks.....at least for FedX handling. Used mine about 12-14X and is now worthless.....wheels actually puncture thru the case....locks broke,,,,skewers punched through. I looked at others and recently bought the Premier Tactical. Shaped like the Scicon but better reinforced wheels.....can leave basebar attached. Will be using for the first time next month.....will update.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One thing to note - run the sizes through Bikeshipper and bikeflights if you're going to mail it. Once the case gets bigger than 30" tall and 10" wide, the price goes up. 50lb is also a critical point. It'll go $50....$75...then $100 as you move from this point.

The only hardshell box under that size are:
the Serfas SBC https://amzn.to/2tUdI0k

You can also get a Flat Screen TV 48x8x30 cardboard moving box, but I haven't tried it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dalava wrote:
After seeing how rough FedEx could be with bike cases, I think I will use a hardshell case next time to ship my bike with bikeflight. So what are some of the good ones? This is for a standard size road bike. Here is what I like to have in the case:

- not too huge so I can load it into a rental car (SUV)
- I don’t mind taking apart the bike to pack
- enough room for the bike and the wheels
- secure and well padded
- reasonably priced

Why not buy an older, used one and simply fly an airline that doesn't charge you ( unless it's over 50lbs). I have my same banged-up Performance case from the mid 90s and despite the duct tape and replacement wheels it works great. You can probably find one of these on ebay or CL on the cheap. It really is just a plastic box with eggshell foam padding inside.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the SciCon Aerotech Evolution, and have so far used it for two trips (to Europe and then to Kona - both from Boston). I have had a total of 6 flights, and there are a few scratches on the case, but otherwise it seems in great shape. I have a new Premier Tactical bike and am leaning towards getting the Premier case when it becomes available again and selling my SciCon. Not that I don't think the SciCon is good, I just think the Premier case would be better for my current bike - and it would also be nice to not have to take the base bar off for travel.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: Hardshell shipping case - which one to get [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am going to get the Bike Box Alan EasyFit... it ticks all the boxes for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Premier Tactical.
Last edited by: iamuwere: Feb 14, 20 20:24
Quote Reply