Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Hard core running stroller?
Quote | Reply
I'm 26 weeks pregnant and a pro triathlete. As soon as I'm able to get this kid outdoors, I'd like to start my run training again! I'm hoping to work my way back up to some pretty intense workouts, so I want a bad-ass running stroller, not some run-of-the-mill "jogging stroller" sold at baby stores.

What's the best one? Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Hard core running stroller? [triforcookies] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have found it is quite difficult doing any type of high intensity workout with a running stroller. The issue for me is having to keep one hand on the stroller so it kind of screws up my running stride and throws off my arms.
I would get a good running stroller and save the hard stuff for when the husband/boyfriend/SO/grandparents/anyone you can sucker into taking care of your child, is taking care of the baby. :)
Quote Reply
Re: Hard core running stroller? [M~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good call ;).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My son's BOB Revolution stroller is nicer than some cars I've owned.

Stephen

-Stephen in Arkansas
Quote Reply
Re: Hard core running stroller? [razorbacksteve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The BOB Ironman with the slick wheels is hands down the best for runners. It's been a few years since I did my research, but it was the lightest of all the other major brands I looked at, was one of the only ones with slick tires instead of knobbies, and has the locked front wheel which is an absolute necessity for running with any speed. Maybe some others have stepped up their game in the last few years, but mine handles just fine up to 6:00/mi. I've always felt like the traffic on the trail/path was a bigger hinderence to speed that the stroller itself was.

Make sure you use the wrist strap and strap it to the bottom bar (axel) not the handlbar.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I found the Bobs run strollers to be great too, and still going strong 7 years later. I am not fast by any means, but just getting in run volume with a stroller might be a bit more realistic- I too loose my arms with the stroller. A good treadmill (if you can stomach treadmill running) will help get in training (tempo/interval work)that you can do during kid naps/sleep time/play time etc... Good luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
triforcookies wrote:
I want a bad-ass running stroller, not some run-of-the-mill "jogging stroller" sold at baby stores. What's the best one? Thanks!

Get a Chariot jogger/stroller/bike trailer, we use the cougar. But to make it a bad-ass running stroller, you gotta get this (gotta use it with a fully 'fixed' front wheel jogger, it won't work with the bob joggers).

Do it and you will become a faster runner than you were before. Trust me.

(no connection between myself and either company)

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the BOB is definitely badass
if you wanna spend the doughnuts, the Chariot is also sweet (but way pricey) especially if you wanna pull it behind your bike eventually. You can even x-country ski with it if you live in snow country.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+1 for the Chariot. Best stroller we bought (and we have 4 in total!)

I'm no pro (far from it) but we use the Chariot for running, walking, and biking.

We have the stroller attachment, jogging attachment, and the bike attachment.

Expensive but holds good value on the resale side of things.

Lots of accessories available for it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Love my Chariot for its functionality but it is many pounds heavier and harder to steer (low center of gravity) than my Baby Jogger Performance Series, which practically pushes itself. I am so glad they've brought back the stripped down truly-meant-for-running model ($430). I have an older one, but this new one looks much improved with the padded straps, better sunshade, and lighter wheels. Whatever you pick, you want big light wheels, slick pneumatic tires, no cluttery storage compartments (you can remove them on some strollers) and I much prefer the fixed steering over swivel wheels.

http://www.extramilenutrition.com
Last edited by: greenjp: Mar 28, 12 15:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I iike my mountain buggy it has 4 wheels so it is super stabile and works very well in all conditions including trails, and grass.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also, with a fixed front wheel I see no reason you shouldn't throw three disc wheels on it. 12" latex tubes as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
M~ wrote:
I have found it is quite difficult doing any type of high intensity workout with a running stroller. The issue for me is having to keep one hand on the stroller so it kind of screws up my running stride and throws off my arms.

What about pulling a little red wagon from a waist strap? Just be careful when slowing down until baby knows how to man the wagon brakes too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
M~ wrote:
I would get a good running stroller and save the hard stuff for when the husband/boyfriend/SO/grandparents/anyone you can sucker into taking care of your child, is taking care of the baby. :)

I agree with this, but the catch is the bike. Your better off using babysitting time for the bike. Running (even workouts) is no problem, you just have to adjust your times, especially when hills are involved. You'll think you are not fast anymore and that you suck (at least I did), but when I finally got to run baby free I was plenty fast.
Good luck and congratulations

Who Dares...Wins!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
triforcookies wrote:
I'm 26 weeks pregnant and a pro triathlete. As soon as I'm able to get this kid outdoors, I'd like to start my run training again! I'm hoping to work my way back up to some pretty intense workouts, so I want a bad-ass running stroller, not some run-of-the-mill "jogging stroller" sold at baby stores.

What's the best one? Thanks!

I'm not pregnant nor am I a pro triathlete, but as a new dad of a now 1.5 year old toddler, I have to say that the BOB was absolutely crucial for me to stay in shape.

I used to wonder why people even bothered taking their infant/toddler on runs - now I know. If you don't, you will NEVER get any exercise if you or your spouse works full time. Plus, it's a great way to get the kid settled for a much-needed nap. It's a win for all - spouse gets private time (which you'll find incredibly rare once the baby arrives), you get a workout, and the baby gets a great nap and sightseeing and is much happier when your're back.

I use the BOB Revolution and it's been pretty much perfect. Fast, easy to control, has a front wheel that can be locked for running or swivel for walking (key), and packs flat in one second (literally). If airplane traveling, the wheels come off near instantly as well, as all are quick releases.

I've taken it on pretty gnarly trail runs with 2,000+ feet of climbing, 20%+ incline in some places. It has shock, so it'll absorb everything. Pretty much, if you can walk two abreast on it, you can roll over it with the BOB. (Note that singletrack is the main difficulty, as it's too narrow for the BOB.)

My only caveat with stroller running - it's a GREAT power/cardio workout, but doesn't get your leg turnover going to max, even if you do speedwork. To maintain your stroller-free speed, make sure you throw in periodic non-stroller hard intervals. I lost the top end of my 5k speed despite running like 9-10 hrs per week with the stroller, including 'stroller intervals' which are harder than regular intervals. I actually think climbing with a stroller is a blend between bike climbing and running (but closer to running) as you have to generate more power than you normally would in regular running.

It takes a few sessions to get used to, but the BOB is awesome. Oh, as well, I would absolutely get the sun-shield. The weather shield isn't as important (overheats, can't use in warm weather), but the sun shield is crucial for keeping the rays off the delicate infant. It works great.

Good luck - I suspect you'll stay in remarkably good shape with the BOB or similar
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Put me in the Chariot Cougar camp. I would try the jogging fixed wheel a try but I prefer their runner attachment instead(you strap the chariot around the waist and pull the chariot behind). Hands free and with Chariot's adjustable suspension, Ive ran on trails without an issue. Oh and the cycling and skijorring attachments are awesome. Well built with well thought out design-albeit quite costly.

Last note, with the infant attachments I was able to take my kid out at 4 weeks of age(baby bivy).
Quote Reply
Re: Hard core running stroller? [IzzyG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IzzyG wrote:
Put me in the Chariot Cougar camp. I would try the jogging fixed wheel a try but I prefer their runner attachment instead(you strap the chariot around the waist and pull the chariot behind). Hands free and with Chariot's adjustable suspension, Ive ran on trails without an issue.

I've never seen this runner attachment for the cougar. Got a link?

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stay witha fixed wheel. I've got a single bob fixed wheel, dual bob swivel wheel, and a double cougar. I'll have good and bad, for strait running, the single bob is the best! The double gets a little squirrelly at a 6:30 pace. As for the cougar, I don't like the handle hight for jogging. Hope this helps good luck
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
M~ wrote:

Yep. There is no way to get a really good run in with any kind of stroller.

But...

Maybe you can now enjoy the sport of walking a little bit more too.... Nothing wrong with that...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bob Revolution is not only an awesome running stroller with the front wheel fixed, but with the front wheel left to swivel it is a great "regular" stroller. Other than a very inexpensive umbrella stroller that we never use, it's the only stroller my wife and I have used for our nearly 2 year old.

Just get it. You won't be sorry.

(btw, if you buy the car seat adapter make sure the car seat you buy fits. we used the peg perego and that was great too.)

And lastly, CONGRATS! Best of luck.

-------------------------
Trek Madone 5.9SL
Felt B12 (sold)
Quote Reply
Re: Hard core running stroller? [ComidaDeluxe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ComidaDeluxe wrote:
The BOB Ironman with the slick wheels is hands down the best for runners. It's been a few years since I did my research, but it was the lightest of all the other major brands I looked at, was one of the only ones with slick tires instead of knobbies, and has the locked front wheel which is an absolute necessity for running with any speed. Maybe some others have stepped up their game in the last few years, but mine handles just fine up to 6:00/mi. I've always felt like the traffic on the trail/path was a bigger hinderence to speed that the stroller itself was.

Make sure you use the wrist strap and strap it to the bottom bar (axel) not the handlbar.

Why does the wrist strap go to the bottom bar?
Quote Reply
Re: Hard core running stroller? [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use the cross country front with wheels for my road runs and hiking attachment for trail running. Their site uses flash formatting so cant give direct link but look under accessories on their main site.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have this one and it is great:

http://www.babyjogger.com/perf_sngl_dtl.aspx

-------------------------------------

thanks,

Aluminum Man
Quote Reply
Re: Hard core running stroller? [Commando] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It goes on the bottom bar in case you trip and fall. You'll be lying on the ground when the strap stops the jogger. If it's hooked to the top bar it will tip the jogger over backwards.

Also, I never tried doing short intervals with it, but I've been doing solid tempo runs with my BOB for 7 years now (2 kids).
Quote Reply

Prev Next