Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hard Sided Bike Travel Case
Quote | Reply
I am sure this has probably been discussed on here before, but my searching skills are failing me. Thus, I'll ask the question and feel free to simply direct me to the relevant previous post. I'm searching for a hard-sided bike case that falls within the dimensions of checked baggage for Southwest Airlines. The Southwest site says the following:

Bicycles (defined as nonmotorized and having a single seat), including Bike Friday and Co-Pilot, properly packed in a hard-sided bicycle box that fall within the dimensions and weight limits established for normal Checked Baggage, (i.e., 62 inches or less in overall dimensions and less than 50 pounds in weight). Pedals and handlebars must be removed and packaged in protective materials so as not to be damaged by or cause damage to other Baggage. Bicycles packaged in cardboard or soft-sided cases will be transported as subject to limited release.

That is why I'm seeking a hard case if anyone is curious. So my question is basically does anyone know which cases fall within these dimensions from experience?
Quote Reply
Re: Hard Sided Bike Travel Case [wboyce] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not aware of a hard sided case that a standard bike will fit in that falls within the checked baggage size limitations, i.e. not oversized. If you've got a coupled bike you can get hard sided cases that work but other than that you're SOL.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
there isn't one. AFAIK, there's only one soft case (rüster sports henhouse) that even fits those dimensions. if you want a hard case, they'll still transport it, but you're going to pay oversize / bike fees.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i have taken teh Thule one (gigantic let me find a video of it) on SW CUN-SFO-CUN and CUN-MSP-CUN and CUN-DEN and DEN-MSP with absolutely NO problems. Also Frontier CUN-DEN.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EITd_NsubdU

also used the above video to pack it.

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Quote Reply
Re: Hard Sided Bike Travel Case [climber7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
climber7 wrote:
there isn't one. AFAIK, there's only one soft case (rüster sports henhouse) that even fits those dimensions. if you want a hard case, they'll still transport it, but you're going to pay oversize / bike fees.
You might be able to make a case for the armored henhouse. I haven't flown Southwest with a bike though.
Quote Reply
Re: Hard Sided Bike Travel Case [kathy_caribe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What do you mean by no problems? No damage to your bike, or they didn't charge you the bike fees?

Edit: I suspect you mean your bike made it through just fine. I can't imagine they would ignore the bike fees with that box. I've seen it and it is pretty large!
Last edited by: wboyce: Sep 12, 15 16:24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll reframe my entire post. Has anyone used any case (hard or soft) that airlines haven't given them grief about? Reading tells me that soft cases are actually quite effective most of the time, and airlines are less critical of them when it comes to charging bike fees.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No fees using a soft case to Spain on British Airways from Vancouver. I was well under the 50 lb weight limit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I previously had a Ruster Sports back and found that it was hit or miss on whether I'd get dinged for a bike fee. After three round trip flights or 6 segments I ended up 50/50.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have flown Southwest twice with my bike in a soft-sided case (Pica Packworks). At PHL the curb side check guy asked in an 'oh my god!' tone, "Is that a bike?!?." My response was, "It's a soft-sided case. Who puts a bike in a soft-sided case?" He printed a bag ticket, I handed him a $20, and that was that. In Denver there was no drama, they just took it, no questions asked. I was surprised given it was the day after IM Boulder and there were probably many bikes through the airport before I came along.

United, PHL to Vancouver, $200 for oversize, plus the usual bag fee ($25). Air Canada from Calgary, $50 on top of usual bag fee (I think). Honestly I'd rather fly Canadian carriers and pay $50 than play the game of denying it's a bike with other carriers.

FYI the wheel was damaged (broken spoke) on the YYC to PHL trip. I'll be adding extra protection for my wheels next time I fly.

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Quote Reply
Re: Hard Sided Bike Travel Case [Tsunami] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Southwest has been hit or miss on whether they consider the armored henhouse a hard sided case. Denver did not so I signed the limited release for damages. Washington/Regan did consider it hard sided so no release. Neither charged oversize/weight fees (cause it wasn't, total weight of both bags was under 60) and both were aware it was a bike.

Minimal hassle for taking the bike apart, I will happily use the henhouse again and recommend it to others, it saved me $100 on just this trip.
Quote Reply