Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hamstring Strain: New Runner/Old Cyclist
Quote | Reply
I'm in my mid-thirties, and have been cycling for about ten years now (with some amateur races mixed in). I ran some in high school, and have started running more. I'm up to about three days a week, but after about a month of doing that I developed a strain in the lower part of my right hamstring. Took about a week off (still cycled some), did an easy 20 minute test run yesterday (it felt fine), but then the problem occurred again during tonight's run after about three miles.

Besides getting better with consistently stretching, and incorporating some weight exercises to strengthen my hamstring (I'm thinking it's likely weaker than my quads from cycling and that's causing the injury), is there anything else I should try or am not aware of?

Anyone experience something similar and have some advice? Thanks in advance.
Quote Reply
Re: Hamstring Strain: New Runner/Old Cyclist [ttusomeone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would not stretch... do dead lifts and other posterior chain drills and exercises.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Hamstring Strain: New Runner/Old Cyclist [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
I would not stretch... do dead lifts and other posterior chain drills and exercises.

Thanks for that. Do you recommend waiting until the hamstring pain is gone (at least when walking around) before starting those drills or start them now with light weight?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey there, sounds like you mildly pulled your hamstring. It can be really bad if you do a grade 2 or worse pull. This injury takes a LONG time to heal completely - not years, but give yourself a good month off running.

HEAT is what really helps, on a regular basis. Can do some light weights strengthening. Rolling it out probably will be helpful, but most of all you just wanna lay off the running for awhile. Then once you get back into running, ice immediately after you run for 10 min. Then hit it with heat at other times. Get a heating pad.

It's not the kind of injury you wanna take lightly or underestimate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ttusomeone wrote:
...(I'm thinking it's likely weaker than my quads from cycling and that's causing the injury)...

Cyclists can have strong glutes and hamstrings, but your quads are likely a bit stronger and much tighter than they were before you started running. (I'm no PT, but that seemed to be my experience.)

As Eric suggested, strengthen (and tighten?) the posterior chain rather than stretch it. If anything, stretch those tight runner's quads. (It may not help, but it won't hurt, and some of us enjoy stretching.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Re: Stretching

I invoke Arthur C Clarke's Fourth Law: "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert."

I have gone back & forth on stretching; first I did it regularly, then not so much, now I'm on it again

YMMV

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply