Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Half Marathon -- Attack a hill, or passive
Quote | Reply
So there's a good cat4 hill in my half marathon in two weeks.. Its at mile 8... What are the best ways for best time?

a.) attack the hill and then cool off in the downhill

b.) take it easy up the hill and then charge downhill

c.) balance the hill climb.. not too hard but not too easy... same with the downhill
Quote Reply
Re: Half Marathon -- Attack a hill, or passive [125mph] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
C

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
C for sure. Keep it as steady as possible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
125mph wrote:
So there's a good cat4 hill in my half marathon in two weeks.. Its at mile 8... What are the best ways for best time?

a.) attack the hill and then cool off in the downhill

b.) take it easy up the hill and then charge downhill

c.) balance the hill climb.. not too hard but not too easy... same with the downhill

Keep the same "effort" (equal power) going up the hill as you would on the flat. On the downhill, you will have better legs to more than make up the time by striding it out. But don't charge the downhill too hard. Use it as a recovery opportunity for the final closing miles.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One cool thing about uploading runs to Strava is the GAP (Grade Adjusted Pace). I run a lot of rolling hills and I try to keep my GAP fairly steady. This generally means backing off a bit more than I would naturally on the way up and pushing a little harder on the way down.

Just like cycling, it's a little tougher to put out the same amount of effort going down, but I think GAP is a reasonable proxy for a "running power meter". Now if I could just get Garmin to show me that field...

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depends on your condition and how you run a HM. If you can run it at 97%+ LT, then there's not much headroom above that for the hill. Going over 100% or 103% of LT is going to make your legs feel like lead pretty quickly, and will ultimately cost you. So- take it up as high as you can reasonably sustain for the hill, and not burn yourself out. A little higher than on the flat, but not much.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you running the SD Half Marathon? I'm running it as well, and I plan on maintaining a consistent effort up the climb. And once you hit the top, it's a nice downslope to the finish.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For a half marathon...?.

Definitely (A)

But what do I know....

I *heart* weak, dumb ass people...
Quote Reply
Re: Half Marathon -- Attack a hill, or passive [kjmcawesome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for posting the "GAP" definition. Literally five minutes ago I uploaded a hilly run and was thinking "What the hell is this GAP thing, I wish I had run that pace". So I guess I did, sorta.
Quote Reply
Re: Half Marathon -- Attack a hill, or passive [RCope] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah here's an example of a run I did last week. Targeting a little over 7:00 pace. You'll see that my slowest two miles (2 and 3) were actually my "fastest": http://app.strava.com/activities/41863869. It makes me realize how much I slack off going downhill.

It does a better job smoothing out your energy output for a hilly run: http://app.strava.com/activities/42272154. Mike 6 sticks out because it was downhill, but the GAP is much lower.

/kj

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks, had no idea that Strava did that. I may have to actually start using my account to check that out.
Quote Reply
Re: Half Marathon -- Attack a hill, or passive [renolaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That and KOMs are way easier to come by running vs riding. At least here in the Bay Area.
(Pink. Semi-pink. Ok, not pink at all)

/kj

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info. Always wondered what that was.
Quote Reply
Re: Half Marathon -- Attack a hill, or passive [realtalk411] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
C, but I think it's a personal preference.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I'm racing for time I will go with C.

If I'm racing a person....I will grind it up the hill then continue to push it over he crest.
Quote Reply
Re: Half Marathon -- Attack a hill, or passive [erichenning] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
erichenning wrote:
Are you running the SD Half Marathon? I'm running it as well, and I plan on maintaining a consistent effort up the climb. And once you hit the top, it's a nice downslope to the finish.

Yep that's the one.. More like my B race caues the Rock and Roll Sd is my A running grace.. but sucks theres a net elevation loss in the RnR so it doenst count on my strava...

Thanks for the tip everyone.. I will go with option C.

I just dont like seeing my watch lose time lol..especially when im so close to the end.,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Usually at mile 8 of a fast half is when you're hitting a nice rhythm. If you like hills and feel confident on them, push the hill through the top and cruise down the back side. You'd be amazed at how many folks you could easily pass just by pushing a bit. On top of that, it's your "B" race so you could really give it a go to see how your body reacts as a learning experience.

Good luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Option D. attack the uphill and attack the downhill

Quote | Reply
Perfect example of what not to do on a). and b).

If you are racing a half marathon then you obviously attack the up hill with as much intensity as the down hill, but not easy one way and hard the other. Running downhill (charging) is a talent, learn it you will thank me, it's really free speed.

If you aren't fully prepared than just keep an even pace. Good luck.

D). Run angry
Quote Reply