Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Half Ironman qualifiers
Quote | Reply
Looking through Inside Tri race guide I noticed how many half ironmans have 20-30 Kona slots. With all of the exisiting Ironmans, what keeps Ironman from just allocating more slots to the Ironmans? There are some 4:15-4:30 halfers who cant beat a 4:40'er in a full...anyone feel the same or different?
Quote Reply
Re: Half Ironman qualifiers [broll] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not everyone wants to race a full to do Kona. I had to get my slots at a full, but that never stopped me from trying to get one at a half. The folks who earn them at the half are working hard and are very talented athletes. One has to be first or second in their age group. I feel sorry for the gals, they often get one slot for a few age groups smashed together. If you think a half is out of whack for a qualifier, in year's past one could race Olympic distance in Chicago and qualify. Now that, was not right.

But the slots attract talent and fill the entries so RDs want to keep them. I'm still of the opinion that Wildflower has a lower caliber age group field and less depth of talent without the qualifying slots, but Terry is still selling out and that's what he's in the business to do. It's also sad to see the slots go away from Keauhou as well. I guess that's the evolution of the sport. To open new full course IMs the slots have to come from someplace and there has historically been a huge imbalance globally with qualifying slot distribution. This rebalances some of that.

To your point, yes, over the next several years, I believe the majority of qualifiers will likely be full course races, save for a couple deep pocket halfs willing to pay dearly for the distinction.
Quote Reply