Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Half Iron Time converted to Iron Time
Quote | Reply
Hi All

I completed a half iron man over the weekend in 5:27 - I was wondering how this would convert to an iron man time - for example x2 plus an hour - to give an 12hr time? Any formulas would be appreciated.

http://www.endurancesports.ca
Coaching and Training Camps

Quote Reply
Re: Half Iron Time converted to Iron Time [Zulu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i think it depends a lot on 1) training between the 2 events and 2) different course & conditions. in 2002 i did Gulf coast half in 5:44 and IMFL in 11:05. my swim was same speed, my bike was 1mph slower but i made up the time on the run. i had to walk during the hot-as-hell half but was actually cold during the IMFL (it rained a lot and was windy). also, i hated to have to walk in the half so i trained a lot for the run and slowed a bit on the bike during the IM race. i have done the Gulf coast half in 5 hrs. so, i'd say to double then add 10%, then add or subtract some amount for additional training and course & conditions. another factor is race experience, the more you do the better you get because you know how to find that edge and how to listen to and understand your body and mind.

good luck

bb

Quote | Reply
There is no formula -- there is only your personal fitness level.

Figure anywhere from 2x plus one hour to 2x plus four hours. I've seen both extremes and everything in between from my clubmates last year. My guesstimate is that, if you're in "1/2 IM" shape at 5:27 and do an IM at current fitness level, you're looking at at around 14 hours. If you're in "IM shape" (ie, twice the swimming and cycling miles in your buildup) maybe you're around 12 hours.
Quote Reply
Re: Half Iron Time converted to Iron Time [Zulu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
General rule x2.25 plus or minus.

the Gods do it in 2.0 MOP 2.25 and BOP 2.5+

TriDork

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply