Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Half-Marathon after Long Hill Ride the Day Before
Quote | Reply
Am I nuts for considering the 70-80mi ride with hills on Saturday? I've ridden the same course the past two weekends in preparation for World's Toughest and it's been amazing. I'm gaining a great deal of confidence and learning a ton about my limits, my focus and my nutrition. I have two more rides on it scheduled before World's Toughest. One of them being this Saturday before my Half-Marathon.

This past weekend I did a ~70mi ride on this course. Then I did a 3mi fast paced run and 1,000yd swim to cap off an epic day. Then Sunday I did a moderately fast paced 12.1 mi run and ~20mi bike to loosen the legs up.

I want to make sure I don't completely "nuke" myself and I also want to succeed at the Half-Marathon (hoping to go between 1:35-1:38).

Note - my main goal is to have a great race at World's Toughest and this is preparation for that.

Scenario:
  • Saturday
    • 70-80mi hilly ride with ~5600+ ft of climbing
    • 1,000yd swim (very ease to loosen up)
  • Sunday
    • Half-Marathon

Quote Reply
Re: Half-Marathon after Long Hill Ride the Day Before [Simple] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you're just doing it as training - no big deal.

If you want to do really well at the 1/2 Marathon - you obviously wouldn't do a long hard bike ride the day before the race.
Quote Reply
Re: Half-Marathon after Long Hill Ride the Day Before [jasinsf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd like to do well at the Half Marathon, but am not looking for a PR.

My main goal is to get in a good solid training weekend to mimic the stress of a 1/2 IM. I figured this would be a good way, but want to ensure I don't "fry" or "nuke" myself.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Half-Marathon after Long Hill Ride the Day Before [Simple] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You know there is a greater potential for injury when you are either running hard/and or far when the legs are already "nuked" from the bike. However, that is the nature of the sport. I would say to just do it, but . . . if I had small underlying nagging injuries that ofen pop up like quite a few of us, I would weight the time of the year, what I would actually accomplish, could I accomplish the same thing in a safer manner, you know, all the crap we all know but often overlook when presented with a challenge.
Quote Reply
Re: Half-Marathon after Long Hill Ride the Day Before [JeffJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You raise an excellent point and this is something I hadn't considered. Thankfully I'm injury free right now and have been since I recovered from shoulder surgery last spring.

I am leaning towards "just doing it" and adjusting the effort on the 1/2 Marathon depending on how I'm feeling at checkpoints along the way.

Thanks
Quote Reply