Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hacking waterbottle cages
Quote | Reply
Im a 1x a year long course guy... and about this time (a week or 2 before the race) I always am of the mind "someone has to have a way to keep those skinny gatorade bottles in a rear carrier"

Anyone with a good macgyver solution (or a product that solves it?)
Quote Reply
Re: Hacking waterbottle cages [dcohen24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Xlab Goriila XT cage + a carrier that holds the bottle at an angle so bumps don't launch it straight up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can try a metal cage, then bend it so it's small enough to hold the bottle.

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Topeak modula EX adjustable cage or Arundel looney bin.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Hacking waterbottle cages [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
Topeak modula EX adjustable cage or Arundel looney bin.

+1 for the looney bin, it’s what I use for a diy BTA hydration setup.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Quote Reply
Re: Hacking waterbottle cages [tri-tele] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, never seen the looney bin until now! Does the dial stay tight enough to not launch the BTA bottle after you crank it down? I've been using an elastic band to pull onto the bottle but sometimes the bottle still pops out of the cage on crappy roads. I'm one of those guys who still prefers to use a standard regular bottle BTA.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm with gmh 39, and went back to old fashioned aluminum bottle holders. Just bend them in, and make them as tight as you want. No more launching bottles.

Athlinks / Strava
Last edited by: Dean T: Sep 16, 18 17:43
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I took a bontrager rl cage, drilled two small holes in the flanges and connected them with an elastic cord. Nothing has flown out since doing this. That includes those Gatorade endurance bottles.
Quote Reply
Re: Hacking waterbottle cages [aavlee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep, the looney bin is the bees knees. You can dial the cage down to where you can’t easily get the bottle out when you want, let alone have it bounce out on you.

Hunter S. Thompson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome, I'm going to give one a try. I'm fine with just cranking it down and then loosening it whenever I want to take a sip.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tri-tele wrote:
Yep, the looney bin is the bees knees. You can dial the cage down to where you can’t easily get the bottle out when you want, let alone have it bounce out on you.

Are you using some kind of mounting plate or bracket to tie in the cage?
Quote Reply
Re: Hacking waterbottle cages [dcon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
More zip ties run through the double holes arundel drills in its cages for mounting options.

Hunter S. Thompson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tri-tele wrote:
More zip ties run through the double holes arundel drills in its cages for mounting options.

Thanks. I could see the banding, but did not think they were zip ties. I have not seen any that wide here in Japan.
Quote Reply
Re: Hacking waterbottle cages [dcon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They have them at some home-improvement stores here in the US and for a while WTB was using them as part of their packaging for mountain bike tires that is where I sourced my first straps from.
Do some looking around and if you can’t find some drop me a private message and we’ll see if I can’t figure a way to stick some in envelope and mail some over to you

Hunter S. Thompson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I will be back in the US for a wedding in October - will try to find them and also pick up the Arundel cage. I have tried a couple things here, but that setup looks better.
Quote Reply