Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

HR training/Base training & hills
Quote | Reply
I'm currently "base training" with my heart rate monitor. While running, my heart rate increases (to be expected) as I go up a hill (even a slight incline). In order to keep it from going out of the "zone", I have to walk the hills. This seems ridiculous, but I'm told that this is not unusual for someone just starting out with this type of training. (I'm in decent shape, but not great shape...base training is new to me.) Should I walk these hills or should I not worry about it unless it stays above my target "zone" for more than a minute or so? Should I let my HR stay elevated on the hills and just let it recover and come back down once I finish the hill? This heart rate training is new to me. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

http://www.imf2006.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: HR training/Base training & hills [awbjr9871] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The last couple of years I worked with professional coach. When I asked him the same question he told me, just as you surmised: If it's just a couple of minutes, don't worry about it. If the hill is long, walk until your HR returns to your training zone. There are a lot of rolling hills where I live and bike rides were harder for me: going up my HR would go up and stay up for a long time. Coming down the hill went by awfully fast and I was going up hill again without my HR coming back into the proper zone.

Good luck.
Quote Reply
Re: HR training/Base training & hills [awbjr9871] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't let the total time spent above your hr zone exceed 5-10% of your total runtime.
Quote Reply