Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

HR question..This does not make sense
Quote | Reply
two and a half years ago when I first started getting into shape I could work out in the 170's range. This lasted for a year and a half. A year ago I started to really concentrate on my aerobic level,cut back on my high intensity work outs. I am now 9 weeks out from my first IM. This is what I do not understand. Today I did a high intensity run,I can barely keep my hr at 160(Iam 43)If I bike all out I am in the 150"s and if I all out sprint I can maybe get to 172. At 160 running I am at my top pace,Ican not go faster and hold. Why can I no longer go at the higher hr. I am a lot faster than I was last year at the higher heart rates.I did a bike 40k in hills (6 to 8 degree)in montana. Held a 19mph pace at 142hr. To get my HR any higher I have to sprint. I do not understand on these other posts how some of you guys can maintain such a high rate. Is this a sign I have overtrained?Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: HR question..This does not make sense [Kenney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For a good discussion of this topic get the Triathlete's Training Bible by Joe Friel.

Essentially, by working the aerobic system you have been training your body to become as efficient as possible at an aerobic HR. Since you are not working the sprinting speed, you are losing that skill/ability. Losing this skill is not necessarily a bad thing. If you are focusing on an IM, you have no use for sprinting skill.

The results you list are exactly what you should expect from long aerobic training. One of Friel's tests is to run a 5k at 10 beats less than LT - in other words solidly aerobic. Before starting aerobic base work I could complete this 5k in 28'. After 1 year of base aerobic work I can complete 5k at the same HR in 22:15! Yet, if I try and go over LT I'll crash hard.
Quote Reply
Re: HR question..This does not make sense [Kenney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are a lot of good questions in here. First, this philosophy (Dr. Phil Maffetone, Mark Allen, Mike Pigg, et al) of training in ayoour low aerobic zone is effective at improving overall cardiovascular efficiency at lower levels of exertion. This is the level of exertion employed at ultra distance (Ironman). It uses the "specificity" principle of training: You are training for a long duration, low intensity event by doing low intensity, long duration training. Doing this for a year gave me a "bomb proof" aerobic base that enabled me to do 100 mile + running races and super long adventure races. But I couldn't run a 36 minute 10K right now to save my life. As a matter of fact, I doubt I could break 40:00 at 10K right now. Since my primary focus is running 8:30s for 26.2 miles after being on the bike for 5:20:00 I really don't care if I can maintain 180 bpm for 79 or 80 minutes. I short I wouldn't be too worried. It sounds like the LSD training is having an effect- it is improving your efficiency. There is the cost of some top-end performance though, but you can get that back eventually if you want to. Personally, I'd rather go under 10 hours at Ironman than go under 2 hours at an Olympic distance race.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply