Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

HRV phone app, no strap, integrates with TP, Sporttracks and Strava.
Quote | Reply
I have no affiliation with this developer. I stumbled upon the app last night while researching HRV. Although the app has the ability to record using a bluetooth heart rate strap, the author is quite adamant that the camera is quite accurate....he's doing lots of math on the raw data apparently.. ***iPhone only.*** Like 8 bucks US. This guy seems very serious about providing real value here....all sorts of documentation on his website.

I used it a couple of times so far, and it's super convenient to measure resting heart rate and HRV in the morning without needing a strap. There's also a coach app for those who manage athletes. The author says that individuals can use the coaching app as a "pro" version of the basic app. I think the pro app is about $4/mo.

http://www.hrv4training.com
Quote Reply
Re: HRV phone app, no strap, integrates with TP, Sporttracks and Strava. [DJFaithful] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know this is an old post but i just saw it and i can second this. I find HRV4Training very useful. Obviously it's one data point among many that you can use to guide your training, and not every function included in the app seems to work super well, but the basic functions are very useful.

I especially like that, unlike for example the Garmin Fenix 5 "Training Status" feature (which will start telling you your training is UNPRODUCTIVE WARNING WARNING! if you go running in the heat one day), it waits to see a strong, statistically significant trend before giving you advice about how well you are recovering and adapting to training blocks.
Quote Reply
Re: HRV phone app, no strap, integrates with TP, Sporttracks and Strava. [devolikewhoa83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use this app for my training status, vo2 max, training trends, etc. Given the price it was well worth it for me. Gamin's never seemed to work. I was using TP for fitness/fatigue but now just use this since it was a 1x fee and final surge for my calendar. Overall I am happy with it. I use the camera for HRV each morning - no clue how accurate it is. I tried using the chest strap but to wake them up I need to shake it, warm up, etc and by then it wasn't tracking my resting HRV. I wish the app could just use a watch.
Quote Reply
Re: HRV phone app, no strap, integrates with TP, Sporttracks and Strava. [surferdude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I feel you on that. But according to the developers, the camera is more accurate than a watch!

I like to do it right after i get up while i'm waiting for my French press to brew (although if the water starts boiling sooner than expected, i can actually see my heart rate start to rise, even if i try to ignore the whistle!)

It's not truly resting HR for me, but given that i do it the same way each morning, i figure trends should be valid (even if it shows lower recovery points than it otherwise would).
Quote Reply
Re: HRV phone app, no strap, integrates with TP, Sporttracks and Strava. [devolikewhoa83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've heard it's best to wake up and go pee, then get back in bed and after a couple minutes do the measurement. Apparently a full bladder can mess up your HR.

I used this app for awhile last year then found it too much trouble. I'm going to give it another shot now though.
Quote Reply
Re: HRV phone app, no strap, integrates with TP, Sporttracks and Strava. [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can definitely relate to the "too much trouble" feeling. You do have to be kind of disciplined about it. I've tried to use it anyway because i'm trying to focus more on recovery lately. I used to basically ignore this aspect and i'm wondering how much that's held me back in the past. Possibly a lot!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ive been using this app for a long-ish time as well. But basically just look at the day-to-day HRV data and how it's in the "desirable" range.
Other than that, I'm not exactly sure how else to use it. Those "correlation" or "training Load" analysis that it has - not exactly sure how to make heads/tails or interpret it meaningfully.

The TSS is also has to be inputted manually which also means another way I can screw up because I forgot/mis-remember how many TSS was yday's run/cycle.
Quote Reply
Re: HRV phone app, no strap, integrates with TP, Sporttracks and Strava. [myjunk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use the "Elite HRV" app which can connect to Strava, TrainingPeaks and Final Surge, SportTracks or Google Fit.

I have a bluetooth chest strap that connects straight away, never any issues.

They sell a device that looks like a pulse oximeter (the thing you put on the end of your finger) but measures your heartrate accurately enough for the app to work out your HRV. I've had mixed results with it so went back to the chest strap
Quote Reply
Re: HRV phone app, no strap, integrates with TP, Sporttracks and Strava. [DJFaithful] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Now works with Apple Watch! Just got the update last night. Tested it this morning and it worked! Much easier than using the camera and HR Strap.

https://www.hrv4training.com/...-with-an-apple-watch
Quote Reply