Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

HRM-Swim vs. Polar OH1+ and Scosche Rhythm24?
Quote | Reply
I can't seem to find the information I'm looking for, neither on the googles nor on the forum. Do these two devices sync with and transfer their HR data similar to the HRM-Swim (to my 920XT)? I want a full profile of my HR data that overlays my intervals; I just don't like the device sitting on my chest. Thanks!

---------------------------------------------------------------

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/profile/domingjm
Quote Reply
Re: HRM-Swim vs. Polar OH1+ and Scosche Rhythm24? [domingjm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
domingjm wrote:
I can't seem to find the information I'm looking for, neither on the googles nor on the forum. Do these two devices sync with and transfer their HR data similar to the HRM-Swim (to my 920XT)? I want a full profile of my HR data that overlays my intervals; I just don't like the device sitting on my chest. Thanks!
No, neither of these devices do what the HRM-Swim does. The R24 was supposed to at release, but it has never worked in a pool. Scosche is working toward that, and probably will get it working eventually. But, it has been well over a year since release. Oddly, it works great in open water-- exactly like the HRM-Swim does.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like exxxvii said, unfortunately only the Garmin SWM and TRI chest straps will do this (overlay HR data to your pool swim intervals). Wish I had asked this myself before purchasing a polar OH1. I had high hopes it would work but I couldn’t get my Forerunner 945 to “download” the HR data even though it was paired. I reached out to Garmin and they confirmed only their proprietary straps will do it, and if you think about it, why should they make it easy for 3rd party straps to work when they’ll gladly bundle straps with their new monitors instead?

And for what it’s worth, I found the OH1 worn on the goggles even more uncomfortable than my chest. My goggles kept leaking unless it was perfectly positioned or so tight that the pressure against my temple was painful. I had a splitting headache afterward. So OH1 is getting sent back. Back to the HRM-SWM to see if I can gather some useful data. (I haven’t really found it useful in the past, FWIW).
Quote Reply
Re: HRM-Swim vs. Polar OH1+ and Scosche Rhythm24? [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
domingjm wrote:

No, neither of these devices do what the HRM-Swim does. The R24 was supposed to at release, but it has never worked in a pool. Scosche is working toward that, and probably will get it working eventually. But, it has been well over a year since release. Oddly, it works great in open water-- exactly like the HRM-Swim does.

Unfortunately, the pool is the only time I'd prefer an optical sensor over the HRM Swim. Between wall push offs and the larger breath taken at the wall, I can't keep it in place for more than about 100yd. I guess I'll just keep waiting.

Quote Reply
Re: HRM-Swim vs. Polar OH1+ and Scosche Rhythm24? [wintershade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wintershade wrote:
Like exxxvii said, unfortunately only the Garmin SWM and TRI chest straps will do this (overlay HR data to your pool swim intervals). Wish I had asked this myself before purchasing a polar OH1. I had high hopes it would work but I couldn’t get my Forerunner 945 to “download” the HR data even though it was paired. I reached out to Garmin and they confirmed only their proprietary straps will do it, and if you think about it, why should they make it easy for 3rd party straps to work when they’ll gladly bundle straps with their new monitors instead?

And for what it’s worth, I found the OH1 worn on the goggles even more uncomfortable than my chest. My goggles kept leaking unless it was perfectly positioned or so tight that the pressure against my temple was painful. I had a splitting headache afterward. So OH1 is getting sent back. Back to the HRM-SWM to see if I can gather some useful data. (I haven’t really found it useful in the past, FWIW).

I would expect this to be cumbersome also. I had a Finis mp3 player that I could never really adjust properly. Always getting water in my goggles. I was thinking about wearing it somewhere along my bicep or upper forearm. No need to think any further about that now.....

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Long term HRM SWIM user: Yes you look goofy, yes swimming with a chest strap feels a bit strange at first but you get used to it and the data - while the usefulness is still being debated - is very interesting and totally worth it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
for me (n=1) placing the oh1 on the goggle strap works great. i had the hr-swim for a while, very uncomfortable (and the hr-tri will not stay in place in a pool).
as mentioned, only garmin chest straps will download hr at the end of the swim to the watch. however, with the oh1 you can record the session and then download the file from polar flow site and import as additional file into the activity in trainingpeaks. you can select how the TSS is calculated - based on swim critical pace (the garmin file), hr (polar file) or let TP combine them. in any case you can see all the data together after importing. its a bit more effort and is totally manual but it works.
Quote Reply
Re: HRM-Swim vs. Polar OH1+ and Scosche Rhythm24? [dgutstadt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dgutstadt wrote:
for me (n=1) placing the oh1 on the goggle strap works great. i had the hr-swim for a while, very uncomfortable (and the hr-tri will not stay in place in a pool).
as mentioned, only garmin chest straps will download hr at the end of the swim to the watch. however, with the oh1 you can record the session and then download the file from polar flow site and import as additional file into the activity in trainingpeaks. you can select how the TSS is calculated - based on swim critical pace (the garmin file), hr (polar file) or let TP combine them. in any case you can see all the data together after importing. its a bit more effort and is totally manual but it works.

And is that only if you do a single set, or can this be broken into, say, 4 sets and distributed accordingly?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dgutstadt wrote:
with the oh1 you can record the session and then download the file from polar flow site and import as additional file into the activity in trainingpeaks.
You can do this with the Rhythm24 as well. I tried a few times, but I gave up, because it was too much of a PITA for me. I had hoped that somewhere on the web there would be a tool that could merge the HR FIT data into another FIT activity file, but no joy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use the scosche 24 via bluetooth with my suunto watch in the pool and in open water. It grabs HR every time my arm comes out of the water (band and watch on the same arm). I'm sure it's not perfect data, but it's something.
Quote Reply
Re: HRM-Swim vs. Polar OH1+ and Scosche Rhythm24? [flyinryan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
flyinryan wrote:
I use the scosche 24 via bluetooth with my suunto watch in the pool and in open water. It grabs HR every time my arm comes out of the water (band and watch on the same arm). I'm sure it's not perfect data, but it's something.
Great point. This is really a Garmin problem. On the one hand, Garmin is the only device that can do a cache and sync HR swim capture. On the other hand, they intentionally disable any kind of real-time reading either from the built-in wrist HRM or an external HRM.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
domingjm wrote:
dgutstadt wrote:

And is that only if you do a single set, or can this be broken into, say, 4 sets and distributed accordingly?

I don't stop and start the oh1 on every set. It just records a single session, oblivious to what I am doing. The garmin watch keeps the sets.
When you overlay the files in TP you will see your sets from Garmin and the HR for the whole session, including rests
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dgutstadt wrote:
domingjm wrote:
dgutstadt wrote:

I don't stop and start the oh1 on every set. It just records a single session, oblivious to what I am doing. The garmin watch keeps the sets.
When you overlay the files in TP you will see your sets from Garmin and the HR for the whole session, including rests

So if you were going to do, say, 10 x 100, 5 x 200 and 10 x 50, you would just let the OH1 continue to run? But you would save the Garmin data as three separate data sets, as opposed to one, right? Thanks. I'd love for this to be compatible with what I'm trying to do.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
domingjm wrote:
dgutstadt wrote:
domingjm wrote:
dgutstadt wrote:

So if you were going to do, say, 10 x 100, 5 x 200 and 10 x 50, you would just let the OH1 continue to run? But you would save the Garmin data as three separate data sets, as opposed to one, right? Thanks. I'd love for this to be compatible with what I'm trying to do.

No, its simpler than that. Record your sets in one session on the Garmin (hit lap button for resting and lap again to go) and the HR in one session on the OH1. Sync the swim session from Garmin connect to TP. Download the HR file from Polar flow and upload it into TP in the same session from Garmin.
Here's an example (WU, 200's, 100's, 50's): http://tpks.ws/...CZEPXHPO4RKLDQB7PQKQ
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting.... Is there some way to get it to also include the training stress in your Garmin, so it gets included in "training status" etc?

I just can't the SWM strap to stay put when I'm really cranking hard.
Quote Reply
Re: HRM-Swim vs. Polar OH1+ and Scosche Rhythm24? [wintershade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wintershade wrote:
Interesting.... Is there some way to get it to also include the training stress in your Garmin, so it gets included in "training status" etc?
No, there is no way I have found to merge the external HR data into a Garmin fit file and then re-import the fit file into Garmin. Training Peaks doesn't actually combine the files. It just overlays the two independent activities in one chart.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm replying to all of these old threads because I think I found a workaround to overlay HR data from Rhythm24 onto a Garmin .fit file. There may be other ways to do it, but the one I'm using is with an app called "Fit File Repair Tool", at the link below. It's really pretty simple. Note that it is $50 for a license, but I've used it for a lot of different data editing things, so it's been worth the investment for me.
You first import the primary activity file, then import the Rhythm24 file using the "Merge Mode". After a couple quick box checks, export as a .fit file and import into Garmin Connect (or whatever other data manager you choose).
https://www.fitfilerepairtool.info/

Quote Reply