Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

HIM Training Plan Reviews
Quote | Reply
Hi all,

New triathlete competing in the Arizona HIM in October and I'm bit confused as to how to pick a training plan.

About me: 48 years old, completed two marathons (not recently) many century+ rides (eg Triple Bypass in Colorado) and I’m a long time crossfitter. So somewhat fit and I understand the basics of long distance training. I can swim 2000M, run 6 miles, and my FTP (don’t laugh) is 156 as measured on my Wahoo Kickr Snap + TrainerRoad app (but I can squat 300# for what that’s worth… ).

I’m currently following the TrainerRoad Half Distance Triathlon Base plan 3x week and running and swimming 2x-ish per week. I’ve been professionally “tri” fit on a Cervelo S3 by Ryan at Colorado Multisport. I’d like to finish sub-7:00 if possible.

My training research: I’ve read Friel’s Training Bible, Matt Dixon’s Fast-Track Triathlete, and Fink’s IronFit Secrets for Half Iron. I’ve evaluated training plans from BeginnerTriathlete.com, Triathlete.com, TrainerRoad.com, and TrainingPeaks.com. Which is probably why I’m overwhelmed. I’m balking at paying for a plan or a coach for no discernible reason other than this is an expensive sport.

I expect most advice will be to pick the one I like the best, that fits my lifestyle, and stick with it.

Curious if there are any reviews of Dixon’s plans or Fink’s plans, the Trainer Road Triathlon Plans, or any other recommended plans?

Thanks in advance!
Quote Reply
Re: HIM Training Plan Reviews [JackArbor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I base my training off TR's plans, but I add in more running and swimming. So I follow TR's plan for the bike (swapping in long weekend rides in when I can), Barry P-esque plan for the run (run 6x a week, almost always off the bike), and swim with the masters club at University of Denver 3x a week (and adding a weekend swim in, too).

The TR plans are an excellent start, IMO. However, they are bike-heavy. I say add in one or two runs and a swim or two, but follow TR for the most part. You'd be solid.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am about to start Matt Fitzgerald's 80/20 Tri Plan to give it a try for my upcoming 70.3's.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trainner road plans seem good from my amateur view. I’ve followed them but for their swim and run parts I’ll just look at their effort/intensity on what days and do my own thing. I like keeping my workouts simple. You’ll definitely get stronger following their bike stuff. My first HIM I followed a plan from triradar and liked it a lot. It was simple. For me, it boils down to consistency. I didn’t want to complicate my training for my first HIM so I more focused on getting the workouts in each week and make sure there was some intensity there.

http://www.triradar.com/...hlon-training-plans/
Quote Reply
Re: HIM Training Plan Reviews [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks GMAN - what made you pick that one to try?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trainroad plans (plus a few runs added as mentioned above) seem to be good.

New Endurance Nation plans are essentially that (lots of Z4/Z3 for the bike and BarryP for the run).

I used Don Fink last year for IM CdA. I liked their structure but they need a better balance between endurance and intensity (they need more z4 work earlier). I got really good at z2 forever but lost my top end. You will be more than ready with a Don Fink plan, but TrainerRoad or Endurance Nation are better IMHO.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had great success with Brett Suttons (trisutto) plans for multiple IMs and so far looking good for my half in a few weeks.

Why did I pick his plans?

- I'd had great success over 18months -2 years following 'conventional' plans mainly done by HR or power, and using standard (ish) periodisation (3 weeks build, one week easy, repeat within the bigger cycle of base period, peak, etc.)

- I had 2 reasons to look for different ideas. 1. I was getting fed up of obsessively looking at numbers and particularly found it mentally negative if I wasn't hitting them in a session. 2. My work life was becoming increasingly less structured meaning that I might miss a few days of consistent training in key weeks, which meant I was often out of sync with the periodisation

- his plans use effort levels and 'feel' which took care of problem 1, and whilst there is structure to them they broadly build the whole way through so no one week is more important than the others (if you see what I mean.) which took care of problem 3.

- and 3rd, his results are outstanding and he is unconventional, and I was curious to try it.
Quote Reply
Re: HIM Training Plan Reviews [tuckandgo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks all, this is super helpful. Wasn't aware of the "BarryP" running program so will research that. Also, good to hear the positive feedback on the TrainerRoad plans. I tend to want to look at the data, but will check out the Trisutto plan (looks like it's $200 - but maybe worth it?).

Curious if anyone has tried Matt Dixon's Fast-Track program? The program is supposed to be 'flexible' to sort of fit around your life schedule. My concern with it is that I'll end up skipping most of the 'optional' workouts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use the Mobile Tri Trainer App, which i think is rather uncommon. you put in the date / distance of the race and it spits out daily training plans.

Has anyone used this before ? this is my first time using the app.
Quote Reply
Re: HIM Training Plan Reviews [Britri1984] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Britri1984 wrote:
I use the Mobile Tri Trainer App, which i think is rather uncommon. you put in the date / distance of the race and it spits out daily training plans.

Has anyone used this before ? this is my first time using the app.

Just checked this app out and it looks like the reviews aren't great - lack of support, doesn't work on newer versions of iOS, etc. I'd be interested to know if you're having any success with it.
Quote Reply
Re: HIM Training Plan Reviews [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cloy wrote:
I base my training off TR's plans, but I add in more running and swimming. So I follow TR's plan for the bike (swapping in long weekend rides in when I can), Barry P-esque plan for the run (run 6x a week, almost always off the bike), and swim with the masters club at University of Denver 3x a week (and adding a weekend swim in, too).

The TR plans are an excellent start, IMO. However, they are bike-heavy. I say add in one or two runs and a swim or two, but follow TR for the most part. You'd be solid.

This, exactly this.

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m no expert compared to many on ST. and I haven’t compared many of the plans you mention. But I have thought about this a bunch so my 2 cents:

1. If you’re looking for a plan to finish in 7 I think almost any plan that you follow will be good. After a little more experience at this distance you might want to look more closely at what you do but for now just being consistent is the key. If you have TR don’t feel like you need to pay any money for anything else.

2. I follow TR for the bike but do my own thing for S & R. I like TR but after this next cycle I might try Zwift to see what I’m missing out on.

3. Barryp for the run for sure.

4. I am reading Dixon’s Fast Track book now and although I’m not far through it I like his general approach. What I do like about him is the idea of splitting up the recovery. Rather than 3:1 hard weeks to recovery week, I will do a 3-4 day recovery block every two weeks. Same amount of recovery but more frequent.

Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
@ Jackarbor - I have a newer iphone and have had no issues. i agree with the lack of support point, i had a question about the app and can't find a way to contact.

my only complaint is when i have a 90 min run it doesn't say how far i should go ) ie in 90 mins complete 12 miles)
so I am trying to find out from other people if this plan has prepared them enough for a full IM.

here is this weeks breakdown -

Mon - off
Tues - 45 min swim
wed - 75 bike / 50 min run
thurs - 45 min swim/60 min bike
fri - 60 min swim / 60 min bike
sat - 120 min bike
sun - 90 min run 45 min bike

race is Oct - IM LOU.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From everything I've read, clinics and conferences, I fall in line with the philosophy that Matt Dixon puts out there. Very well rounded lifestyle to make triathlon a compliment rather than detractor to life.

But, if you want to hit a time goal and have life work with a training plan, but don't want to pay for it, it's like a contractor paying millions for a building, but wanting to save $1000 on the bolts that hold the building together. Nuts and bolts fail, and the whole thing fails regardless of how fancy your tri bike is or high light your running shoes are.

Ryan
http://www.SetThePaceTriathlon.com
http://www.TriathlonTrainingDaddy.com
I got plans - https://www.trainingpeaks.com/...dotcom#trainingplans
Quote Reply
Re: HIM Training Plan Reviews [TriJayhawkRyan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
@ TriJayhawkRyan - you make really good points. I like the philosophy that Matt Dixon puts out there, but the plans in his book don't use HR or FTP, so I've sort of ruled him out. Your point about the bolts is also good. Spend thousands on all kinds of gear, but not a couple hundred on a coach or a plan? Thanks for the good perspective.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For anyone that's interested, I ended up with one of Fitzgerald and Warden's 80/20 plans on Training Peaks. So far, it's really working well for me and I like the philosophy.

https://www.trainingpeaks.com/...to-11-hours-per-week

Quote Reply
Re: HIM Training Plan Reviews [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cloy wrote:

I do the same thing. Works well for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How far into it are you?
Quote Reply
Re: HIM Training Plan Reviews [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just started it today. Bit of a steep learning curve with how the plan integrates into TrainingPeaks, and I don't like that I can't get a PDF of the entire plan, but good support from the coach so far. I'll report back after a week or two.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought a plan to develop higher power for mountain biking through training peaks. I like the way it's delivered and how I can download the bike workout for my Garmin 800.
Quote Reply