Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

HELP/ADVISE - TREK MADONE - WARRANTY
Quote | Reply
Looking for help/advise if others have ever put in a warranty claim with Trek.

So must admit it took me a long time to finally purchase a Trek - thought it was the a good idea local store etc anything goes wrong I can just pop in.

I bought a 2018 Trek Madone from my local Trek dealer (Rockville, Maryland) - love the bike.

After around 18 months going up a very steep hill the derailleur snaps luckily I can put my foot down and don't fall over. Wife picks me up. Next day take the bike to the Trek store - replaced derailleur - all good.

Six months later my right brake cable snaps - same thing into the store - all good.

Mid - May I go off to FLA to ride for a week. I take the bike into Trek Clermont to have a new chain put on. Just want to add Trek Clermont - really helpful, friendly, great advice, loved the experience of just popping in, highly recommended. I pick up the bike and as we are going out to the car the mech guy says ''you do realise you have a crack in your seat stay'' I stand there for minute and say ''no'' he shows me and yes it looks like a crack. This is the seat stay on the same side as the derailleur. They tell me to stop riding the bike and take it back to the Trek store where I purchased it from as soon as I get home.

I arrive home - next day take the bike into my local Trek store. I basically tell them the story asking if I can claim on the warranty. Well not sure you will be covered did you get hit by a rock? - no - did you crash - no - you may of damaged it when putting into your bike box - no bike box the bike is laid on it's side on cushioned duvets in the back of my mini van oh he replies - I can't make a call on this will have to wait until my supervisor comes in tomorrow which is Thursday. I say fine Thanks look forward to hearing from you.

Fast forward to now Saturday - no calls. I call the store speak the mech advises me he has taken pictures and sent to Trek we should have an answer on Monday. He says he's looked at the work they have done on the bike and brings up the derailleur WHEN I CRASHED - LET ME POINT OUT THERE HAS BEEN NO CRASH HERE. The bike is spotless (apart from the crack in the seat stay).

At the moment not sure how this will go. Should I be worried they may just come back and say tough luck you have a useless bike?

Just looking fore any reassurance..........

Thanks for listening.
Quote Reply
Re: HELP/ADVISE - TREK MADONE - WARRANTY [AXELLE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would wait and see what happens this week.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just a quick update on this.

I get a call from my local Trek dealer (Rockville Maryland) - Trek are going to give me a 20% discount on a new bike!

I say gee Thanks - I buy a $4000 bike (3 years old) and you say it worthless but we are going to give you $800 off another $4000 bike. The crack in the seat stay is not Treks fault.

At the moment I just need to clam down - it is now summer I have no bike so much for the warranty!

FUMING!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know if there is anything that you can do but I think this is the shops fault not necessarily Trek.
From the information you gave, it looks like the shop did not have your back from the beginning and that can make a huge difference.

Tiago
---------------------
Sponsors: : Blueseventy :
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds similar to the total BS I had from Specialized when the chainstay cracked mid span on a Stumpjumper.
Despite clearly no other damage in that area. And the LBS (Leisure Lakes) sucking up to Specialized not supporting their customer despite having had several bikes from them, forks, and other kit.
Wankers, both of them.
Quote Reply
Re: HELP/ADVISE - TREK MADONE - WARRANTY [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What I think they are saying - when the derailleur snapped - no fault of mine! this is when the damage was done. Ok get that but surely when they replaced the derailleur the mechs at Trek would have noticed the seat tube was cracked? and if so would have informed me that it was highly dangerous to ride on the frame or does that indicate there was no crack at that time?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It may be worthwhile to send pics to carbon repair shops. Search this forum. I believe cyclocarbon is one. Still out of pocket $$, and possibly without a bike for a few weeks, but could be better than the laughable discount the OEM offered. As a bonus, if you do go this route, you get to let everyone you ride with, about this interaction with the OEM, and LBS.

Eta, your story changes also. Which part is damaged? Seatstay or seat tube?
Last edited by: Helltrack: May 22, 21 16:43
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AXELLE wrote:
What I think they are saying - when the derailleur snapped - no fault of mine! this is when the damage was done. Ok get that but surely when they replaced the derailleur the mechs at Trek would have noticed the seat tube was cracked? and if so would have informed me that it was highly dangerous to ride on the frame or does that indicate there was no crack at that time?

Not sure Trek (/any bike company) should warranty this at all based on your description of events.
Quote Reply
Re: HELP/ADVISE - TREK MADONE - WARRANTY [Helltrack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Helltrack wrote:
It may be worthwhile to send pics to carbon repair shops. Search this forum. I believe cyclocarbon is one. Still out of pocket $$, and possibly without a bike for a few weeks, but could be better than the laughable discount the OEM offered. As a bonus, if you do go this route, you get to let everyone you ride with, about this interaction with the OEM, and LBS.

Eta, your story changes also. Which part is damaged? Seatstay or seat tube?

If going the route of carbon repair, the OP should also check out Calfee Design:

https://calfeedesign.com/carbon-repair/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What is unclear, is if you purchased the bike new. Normally warranty is not a problem to the original owner. Some companies may warranty like cars, whereas it doesn't matter who owns the car. But bike companies don't often do the same thing.
Quote Reply
Re: HELP/ADVISE - TREK MADONE - WARRANTY [NealH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just the clarify bike bought brand new - I am the only owner just three years old.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They really should cover it then. Shame on Trek. It puts you in a bind and I don't like it. Just dirty business practice.
Last edited by: NealH: May 22, 21 18:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Probably quickest and most economical and least stressful way to get fixed is to find a local carbon repair shop that does bicycle work. I needed work done from a single chain drop into bottom bracket area, where chain gouged carbon. A shop that does carbon car repair and bike frames turned it around in 3 days. Luckily it was black, so no special paint needed. Cost was maybe $300, but it’s as good as new.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AXELLE wrote:
Just a quick update on this.

I get a call from my local Trek dealer (Rockville Maryland) - Trek are going to give me a 20% discount on a new bike!

I say gee Thanks - I buy a $4000 bike (3 years old) and you say it worthless but we are going to give you $800 off another $4000 bike. The crack in the seat stay is not Treks fault.

At the moment I just need to clam down - it is now summer I have no bike so much for the warranty!

FUMING!

Trek doesn’t make it clear, but I think the 20% discount is off the dealer frame price. My experience with it was for a crash so it was a bit more clear cut. The process was pretty smooth. Trek requires bike be rebuilt by dealer with components transferred over.
Quote Reply
Re: HELP/ADVISE - TREK MADONE - WARRANTY [NealH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NealH wrote:
They really should cover it then. Shame on Trek. It puts you in a bind and I don't like it. Just dirty business practice.

It’s pretty common for a derailleur to snap and for it to hit the chain stay, or for the chain to do so with enough force to crack the frame.

Warranty doesn’t mean replace the frame once it breaks regardless. It’s protecting against defects in manufacturing which this likely isn’t.
Quote Reply
Re: HELP/ADVISE - TREK MADONE - WARRANTY [Andres] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds like you expect too much of Trek here.

Firstly why on earth did the derailleur “snap” - this simply doesn’t happen unless you are doing something funky that causes such a failure. Secondly, as others have pointed out this derailleur snap likely what caused the frame damage. …..and thirdly - your bike is 3 years old!!!! Do you expect a lifetime warranty? - I don’t realistically expect anything to be replaced by any manufacturer under warranty once it goes past 12 months old.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a not dissimilar experience. 2018 Madone 9 with mechanical Ultegra. I bought it brand new last year just before covid shut everything down.

Within the 1st 6 months I broke 2 left shifters. 1st time they replaced it under warranty, 2nd time the tech dug deeper into the issue and elevated a warranty claim to corporate.

His suspicion was the bike was probably designed for Di2 with mechanical as an afterthought. The cables, he said, run awkwardly through the frame and there was too much resistance somewhere thus me breaking shifters and maybe you with your derailleur?

Long story short, Trek said rebuild completely the mechanical, my tech said that wouldn’t work and we’d be having the same conversation in 6 months so they gave me Di2 for their cost.

Can’t say enough about the superb service at my local Trek shop throughout what turned out to be a 6 month ordeal.

So I would guess, as our experiences are suspiciously similar, that your issue could be a legitimate warranty claim.
Quote Reply
Re: HELP/ADVISE - TREK MADONE - WARRANTY [chgrubb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your probably correct - I am probably asking too much but 3 years? - BTW my Eddy Merckx is 25 years old - My Kuota 10, as is my Specialized Transition reaches 12 years of life......I was only basing this off Trek themselves:-

Lifetime

Framesets (frame and rigid fork), main frame, and full suspension swing arms for the lifetime of the original owner
Bontrager wheels with carbon rims
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AXELLE wrote:
Your probably correct - I am probably asking too much but 3 years? - BTW my Eddy Merckx is 25 years old - My Kuota 10, as is my Specialized Transition reaches 12 years of life......I was only basing this off Trek themselves:-

Lifetime

Framesets (frame and rigid fork), main frame, and full suspension swing arms for the lifetime of the original owner
Bontrager wheels with carbon rims

I think you have a reasonable expectation of lifetime warranty, given that's what Trek is marketing. However, I suspect that a lot of bike shops and manufacturers will be more stringent with approving warranty claims as the bicycle ages.

For every case like yours, there's others where someone was "just riding along" and wants a warranty replacement. That said, as others have mentioned earlier, it's a bit odd that the derailleur could snap without some sort of impact, or that the derailleur hanger wouldn't break first.

I had an issue with my Cervelo where there was a crack on the bottom of my chainstay, which I had never noticed. They wouldn't warranty it but offered a crash replacement; I just ended up having Calfee fix it for $600, including painting some areas. Visually, it was an excellent job, although I have no idea how the actual structural carbon fiber repair is (not that I have any reason to doubt it).
Quote Reply